Windows 10: Internet Explorer opening when not wanted

Discus and support Internet Explorer opening when not wanted in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; HI I'm having problems with internet explorer opening when I wake my computer from sleep. It opens with some Bing items usually on travel and things... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Sanda, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Sanda Win User

Internet Explorer opening when not wanted

HI
    I'm having problems with internet explorer opening when I wake my computer from sleep. It opens with some Bing items usually on travel and things like that. I don't use IE I use chrome and it opening when it's not wanted it driving me crazy. Can somebody tell me how to stop it?
    Thank you

:)

Sanda, Jul 25, 2017

2. Unable to open pdf documents since upgrading to windows 10

Since upgrading to Windows 10 all of my pdf documents have converted to internet explorer pdf documents and when I try and open them I am taken to an internet explorer page and asked if I want to open the document. When I press yes, I am taken to a blank
    internet explorer page

VictoriaRussell, Jul 25, 2017
  3. IE11 in Windows 10- How do I put an IE icon on the Desktop

I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I want to put a icon on my desktop for Internet Explorer, so the web pages will open automatically in Internet Explorer, but haven't had any success so far. I re-installed Internet Explorer, but it does not
    appear when I open ALL APPS.

[Original title: Internet Explorer in Windows 10]

Charlie E Arnett, Jul 25, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey Sanda,
    Give this a try ...

Open Regedit (winkey+r > type in regedit > click OK)
    Navigate to the following key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
    In the right panel double click on EnableActiveProbing and set it to 0 then click OK
    Close Regedit
    Reboot PC

Eagle51, Jul 25, 2017
  5. Sanda Win User
    thank you, I just tried that but unfortunately it didn't work. Should I have restarted the computer to make it work?

Sanda, Jul 25, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Yes, registry changes require restart to take effect.

CountMike, Jul 25, 2017
  7. hawkman Win User
    As IE is classified as a feature.
    Just turn it OFF, as you dont use it.

Roy

hawkman, Jul 25, 2017
  8. torre Win User

torre, Jul 25, 2017
  9. Sanda Win User
    thank you. I will turn it off. The registry thing did not work

Sanda, Jul 26, 2017
  10. Sanda Win User
    I really thought that turning it off would solve the problem but today its back to IE with Bing opening up when I wake the computer

Sanda, Jul 27, 2017
  11. torre Win User

Malwarebytes | AdwCleaner

Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software

System Restore Windows 10

Reset Windows 10

Have you reset IE ? (Settings(gear icon, upper right)Internet Options/Advanced/Reset) Is IE mistakently set to be your default browser ? (Settings (lower left corner, gear icon) Apps/Default Apps)

Did you run a scan with your AV ? Also, run Malwarebytes which is good for identifying pups (unwanted programs) which could effect the browser. And adwcleaner which also identifies browser issues.

Also, you may consider a System Restore to a point before the issue. And at last resort, reset Win10.

Lot of homework for you ! *Smile Let us know the result.

torre, Jul 28, 2017
  12. Sanda Win User
    sorry being so long in getting back I just haven;t been too well. Everything seems to be ok now. I did a;; of the things above and it looks like it's fixed the problems thank you very much for all of the help.

Sanda, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Internet Explorer opening when not wanted - Similar Threads - Internet Explorer opening

2. Internet Explorer not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer not opening: I want to use internet explorer because some of my legacy websites works only in internet explorer. But whenever i open internet explorer it goes directly to Microsoft edge. How to stop edge being opened....
  3. Internet Explorer not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Explorer not opening: I want to use internet explorer because some of my legacy websites works only in internet explorer. But whenever i open internet explorer it goes directly to Microsoft edge. How to stop edge being opened....
  4. Internet Explorer not opening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Setup.exe was opening with internet explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup.exe was opening with internet explorer: I wanted to install an app but when i first downloaded it , it asked which app to use i accidentally clicked internet explorer now i cant use the setup.exe file because it always opens in internet explorer....
  6. Internet explorer will not open

in Browsers and Email
    Internet explorer will not open: I have suddenly found that IE will not open. When you click on it to open you get the working circle for a few seconds and then nothing. I have tried using a different user account on the same PC, I have run SFC /scannow which reports no errors, I have also checked in...
  7. when i download .MBLooks it opens in internet explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when i download .MBLooks it opens in internet explorer: everytime I download then open .MBLooks documents it always opens in internet explorer and I want it to open in .zip and It doesn't give me options on what to open it with. it says open with app store or internet explorer can you please tell me what to do? thankyou...
  8. Internet Explorer 11 not opening

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer 11 not opening: Internet explorer 11 will not open, did an upgrade from 8.1 to 10 home edition. I have run a repair install & dism /restorehealth , unchecked ie 11 in programs & features rebooted and still nothing need help. 23760
  9. Open with Internet Explorer

in Browsers and Email
    Open with Internet Explorer: I have 1 desktop and 2 All In Ones which I am trying to configure to W10. I just changed the desktop to IE using the switch under the three dots where it says open with IE. I tried to do the same with this AIO and that switch doesn't work. I attempted to reset the default...
  10. outlook open with internet explorer

in Browsers and Email
    outlook open with internet explorer: When I want to open a link in outlook 2010 to open a website, I have to choose the app to open. I choose IE and also put a X by "Always use this app" . But next time I receive the same ... (when I choose edge, there is no problem but I want to use IE Internet explorer is...