Windows 10: Internet Explorer: Safe to Delete?

Discus and support Internet Explorer: Safe to Delete? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I performed a system cleanup today. Thanks. Good! Hope that gave you back a decent size chunk of space, and got rid of some old, unnecessary files. Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Internet Explorer: Safe to Delete?

Good! Hope that gave you back a decent size chunk of space, and got rid of some old, unnecessary files.

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018

2. I do not use IE anymore and now I use Firefox. Is it safe to delete IE?

:)

rjordan393, Apr 20, 2018
  3. bdawg_826 Win User
    Windows phone 7 still safe to use?

Is it still safe to use windows 7 phones (with 7.5 update) to browse the internet? It uses internet explorer so is that version still safe to use?

bdawg_826, Apr 20, 2018
  4. Mark Ole Win User

IE 11 not responding

Hi,

To isolate the issue, we recommend that you start the system in safe mode and see if the issue will occur.

To boot in safe mode, please check this
    link

You may also to reset the Internet Explorer settings while in safe mode. To do that, please follow these steps:

• Open the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box. To do this, use the following method:
      • Close all Internet Explorer and Explorer windows that are currently open.
      • Start Internet Explorer.

Note If you are running Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, start Internet Explorer from the desktop. Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer that you start from the desktop.
      • On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.
      • In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
      • Tap or click Reset. If you're using Windows Internet Explorer
      • Click Restore Default.
    • In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.
    • When Internet Explorer finishes applying the default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
    • Exit and then start Internet Explorer.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Apr 20, 2018
  5. Sven1458 Win User
    Save, probably, but why would you do that?
    The room you get is negligible, and what if Firefox gets corrupted? You can always go back to IE.
    Just remove the icon from the taskbar or start. This way it is there when you need it
    Just my 2 cents
    Sven

Sven1458, Apr 20, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Internet Explorer is part of the system, so you can't just delete its folder. You can however remove it as it is an optional Windows 10 feature. If you change your mind, you can add it back again later. Personally I'd leave it alone and just not use it, it's always useful to have an alternative browser handy.

Tutorial: Manage Optional Features in Windows 10

7. Bree New Member
    According to my 'manage optional features' in Settings it's just 1.75MB.

8. Internet Explorer: Safe to Delete?

Ok, I"ll leave it alone. I been deleting old files, no longer needed in both downloads and documents folders and thought I look into removing IE to save space. I noticed overtime that my maintenance software takes longer to run and I thought doing so would help.

rjordan393, Apr 20, 2018
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    If you haven't already, run the Disk Cleanup, including System Files. Option #1 here:

*ArrowOpen and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Could get you back a couple gig. If you've never run it, or it's been a long time since last run, it can take a while. Be patient.

f14tomcat, Apr 20, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    There can be a surprisingly large amount of space used up by old restore points (running into GBs). Backups of older windows updates can also occupy a lot of space. I regularly use Disk Clean-up to manage both.

Run Disk Clean-up and click its 'clean up system files' button. The 'More options' tab allows you to delete all but the latest restore point. As f14tomcat says, cleaning system files can also release several GBs if you've not run it before.

11. I performed a system cleanup today. Thanks.

rjordan393, Apr 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Internet Explorer: Safe to Delete? - Similar Threads - Internet Explorer Safe

2. Is it safe to delete .?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete .?: Hi I need help to free up some of my SSD storage because I only have 200-300 MB of space left on my hard drive, so please suggest what I should do before it crashes. Is it safe to delete . if it doesn’t contain any of my personal documents? I want to clarify that I haven’t...
  3. Is it safe to delete .?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to delete .?: Hi I need help to free up some of my SSD storage because I only have 200-300 MB of space left on my hard drive, so please suggest what I should do before it crashes. Is it safe to delete . if it doesn’t contain any of my personal documents? I want to clarify that I haven’t...
  4. is it safe to delete these?

is it safe to delete these?: I have an external hard drive with 1.81TB of storage on it but now it's down to 139GB so I went to check what was taking it up and found a load of files taking up almost 1.3TB of storage called "E/assembly". Inside of this are folders called "NativeImagesv...."then a load of...
  5. Are these safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Are these safe to delete?: Hello there. I found a folder in my Appdata\Local folder called "CrashDumps" that's taking up a good bit of space. I've heard these kinds of files are safe to delete, but I want to be sure just in case....
  6. Are these safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are these safe to delete?: Hello there. I found a folder in my Appdata\Local folder called "CrashDumps" that's taking up a good bit of space. I've heard these kinds of files are safe to delete, but I want to be sure just in case....
  7. Are these safe to delete?

8. Safe to remove Internet Explorer?

in Browsers and Email
    Safe to remove Internet Explorer?: I haven't used IE for a long time, I've used Edge and now the Chromium Edge and Firefox. Is it safe to remove IE? 163705
  9. is it safe to delete these

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    is it safe to delete these: I asked a similar question yesterday i learned of mroe folder i could delete but again i need an expert input. can I delete all these all these folders as well?[ATTACH]...
  10. Safe To Delete?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Safe To Delete?: The root directory of my C drive contains stuff that seems like garbage to me. 1. $SysReset: Contains an empty Logs folder. Haven't done any kind of reset/refresh--don't even know what that means. 2. Driver_allOS: Contains a folder called Audio. This contains lots of...