Windows 10: Internet Explorer won't start after windows 10 update

Discus and support Internet Explorer won't start after windows 10 update in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; After latest update of windows 10 few days ago, IE will not start. I have tried system file checker that didn't detect anything. I tried disabling and... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by lascetic, Oct 22, 2017.

1. lascetic Win User

Internet Explorer won't start after windows 10 update

After latest update of windows 10 few days ago, IE will not start. I have tried system file checker that didn't detect anything. I tried disabling and re-enabling IE from "turn windows features on or off", but still nothing. I have scanned with malwarebytes, superantispyware and adware cleaner, which didn't detect anything.

IE will run as administrator. I tried resetting it, still nothing. Obviously the culprit is the windows update, cause I didn't change any settings.

Any other ideas?

:)

lascetic, Oct 22, 2017
  2. tomo6611 Win User

Windows apps don't connect to the internet

Windows 10 apps don't connect to the internet. Apps like The Weather Channel, Store, Amazon, Sirius, etc. When I first start the pc they work fine. After I use Edge or Internet Explorer, the apps won't connect to the internet anymore. If I restart the
    pc they work fine again until I start Edge or Internet Explorer.

tomo6611, Oct 22, 2017
  3. Internet Explorer won't stay turned on

I have had to reload Windows 10 and now one of my main programs won't work as it needs Internet Explorer. When I check the Internet Explorer box on "Turn
    Windows features on or off" it won't stay checked after OK. There is no iexplore.exe file installed in Program Files>Internet Explorer and this seems to be the problem, does anybody have a fix for this?

Original title:
    Windows 10 and Internet Explorer

GrahamEllicott, Oct 22, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

A similar thread found IE would work in a new user profile, but not the current one.

If that's so, that suggests some setting or corruption in your current profile.

See if it launches in Safe Mode logged in as your current user.

dalchina, Oct 22, 2017
  5. lascetic Win User
    Thanks for your reply.

Why would windows update corrupt my profile?
    IE runs at safe mode.

lascetic, Oct 22, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I don't know... but as it runs in Safe Mode there's an outside chance you can get it working by a process of elimination.

Now try a clean boot.. and try again.

Try IE with no add-ons.

Keep eliminating things as necessary, working back to as similar a state as you can to Safe Mode.

dalchina, Oct 22, 2017
  7. lascetic Win User
    Thanks again.

Unfortunately IE did not start at clean boot. I suppose that points again to some Microsoft process preventing IE to start.

lascetic, Oct 22, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Keep examining differences between Safe Mode and a clean boot.
    You can use Autoruns (free) to disable more items, for example.
    Consider security software too.

You say 'the last update' - which was that? It's different for different users.

Internet explorer 11 wont open - Microsoft Community

This gives more detail on a couple of things I suggested as basic steps

Check your event log and reliability history (cortana, 'reli') for reports related to this... note the time you try to launch it, then look for events at that time.

dalchina, Oct 22, 2017
  9. lascetic Win User
    Security Update KB4043961 and Security Update for Adobe Flash Player. Sorry, I didn't mention. It seemed like a major update.

When I did the clean boot, Comodo internet security (my only real time security) was also disabled, as well as addons ( I only have java and the default accelerators).

lascetic, Oct 22, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 22, 2017
  11. lascetic Win User
    I couldn't find anything helpful. I tried uninstalling and re-installing adobe flash (which was the latest update). Also changing the option show tabs in separate row (some people said this resolved the issue for them), but nothing worked.

My version of win10 is not a preview.

I am not very familiar with autoruns and it looks a lot of work just to make IE work. I'd rather look for another browser. It is even less work to run it as administrator. Do you know if there are any settings to run IE always as administrator? Hope they make something better with edge, cause IE has always been a shitty browser anyway.

Thanks a lot for your ideas.

lascetic, Oct 22, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    You can try Chrome, Opera, Firefox (which is changing very rapidly just now)...

dalchina, Oct 22, 2017
  13. lascetic Win User

Cheers, I'll do that.

Here is a link of how to run a program always as administrator: How to Always Run a Program as Administrator in Windows 7
    It may not be too safe though for a browser, though I do not really know.

lascetic, Oct 22, 2017
  14. torre Win User
    torre, Oct 23, 2017
  15. lascetic Win User
    Thank you for your reply.

I had looked already briefly on the thread but I didn't find anything about the profile change. I may have missed it. However, I'd rather avoid it at the moment as there are a lot of changes that I would have to do (like torrents linked to certain locations), and personally I feel IE is not worth it. For now, I set it to run always as administrator and will wait for next update to fix it. Like I said everything was working fine until the last windows update, so I am pretty sure that this is the culprit. There are always some minor things breaking with every major MS update in win10, from my experience, as everything more or less gets re-installed. I already wasted a lot of time on this. Firefox is much better. MS is making IE redundant. Profile shouldn't get corrupted with an update.

Really appreciate taking the time to help me.

lascetic, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Internet Explorer won't start after windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Internet Explorer won't

2. Windows won't start after an update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't start after an update: Hello,After the latest update, my computer became unusable.This screen image below suddenly appears, sorry for the French language that I cannot change, but basically I can choose between:"Reboot tool" --> fails to solve anything "Terminal" --> does not help much"Uninstall...
  3. Windows won't start after an update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't start after an update: Hello,After the latest update, my computer became unusable.This screen image below suddenly appears, sorry for the French language that I cannot change, but basically I can choose between:"Reboot tool" --> fails to solve anything "Terminal" --> does not help much"Uninstall...
  4. Windows won't start after an update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Computer won't start after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer won't start after Windows 10 update: Windows had an update last night. I set my computer to update and restart, but it never restarted. I don't get anything on the screen, but I can hear the drive engaging and then I get a little beep as it stops. Then it tries again, over and over in a continuous loop. I have...
  6. Computer won't start after Windows 10 update

Computer won't start after Windows 10 update: Windows had an update last night. I set my computer to update and restart, but it never restarted. I don't get anything on the screen, but I can hear the drive engaging and then I get a little beep as it stops. Then it tries again, over and over in a continuous loop. I have...
  7. Computer won't start after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Explorer won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer won't start: So recently I updated my bios and now it won't start explorer. Help plz! I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ll0l something like that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-wont-start/a297e71d-4a6d-4c4e-9860-728198e8d8f9
  9. Explorer won't start

Explorer won't start: So recently I updated my bios and now it won't start explorer. Help plz! I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ll0l something like that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-wont-start/a297e71d-4a6d-4c4e-9860-728198e8d8f9
  10. After Windows 10 update, PC won't start

in Windows 10 Support
    After Windows 10 update, PC won't start: I have a custom built PC running Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Version 2004 (build 19041.630) - last build before the update. Until this latest update from Microsoft, I have not had any problems. My PC has a 3.40 GHz Intel Core i5-3570K cpu, 32 GB memory, 2 450GB SSD drives,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. internet explorer wont start windows 10

2. windows explorer wont start on login

3. Internet explorer wont start after updating to windows 10s

4. Windows 10 Internet Explorer wont start,
  5. internet explorer wont start with windows 10,
  6. spawn window in ie 11 wont run addons,
  7. iexplorer windows 10 wont start,
  8. internet explorer in windows 10 wont start,
  9. ie wont start after update,
  10. internet explorer wont start in windows 10,
  11. internet explorer wont start after windows 10 upgrade,