Windows 10: internet only in safe mode; what to look for

Discus and support internet only in safe mode; what to look for in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Win 10 on PC; AT&T Uverse; Ethernet For the last couple of weeks my internet connection has been intermittent, and online times getting shorter.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jhearcht, Dec 23, 2016.

1. jhearcht Win User

internet only in safe mode; what to look for

Win 10 on PC; AT&T Uverse; Ethernet

For the last couple of weeks my internet connection has been intermittent, and online times getting shorter. Today I was unable to get on the internet at all. Updating the network driver didn't help. I first contacted my service provider (AT&T) and they sent techs on two occasions : first to improve quality of house wiring, and then to install a new router. These changes did not fix the problem. So the third tech gave up and said the problem was probably caused by a Windows update. Google search found that intermittent internet is a common problem, but the suggestions didn't help. Finally I booted in Safe Mode, and suddenly my internet connection is stable.

My question now is : what should I look for in Safe Mode to remove whatever is interfering with my internet connection?

:)

jhearcht, Dec 23, 2016

2. I can only connect to the internet in safe mode

Hello Rod,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

With the issue description, I understand that you are unable to connect to Internet in normal mode and able to connect in Safe mode only. I will certainly help you in getting this fixed. I would appreciate if you could help me with more information

• Which Security Software is installed on your computer?

I would like to inform you that as the Internet is working in safe mode, then this issue might be occurring because of some software conflict or corrupt network drivers. So I would suggest to disable the Security Software which is installed on the
    computer and then follow below mentioned steps and check if the issue resolves

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 1:

Step 1: Safe Mode with Networking

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in “Safe Mode”, let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third
    party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using. Please follow the below mentioned steps

• Click on the Power button on the login screen.

• Press and hold the SHIFT key on keyboard and simultaneously click on
      Restart option.

• Once your PC restarts, on theChoose an optionscreen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot. If you don't see the
      Startup Settings option, tap or click Advanced options.

• Tap or click Startup Settings.

• Tap or click Restart.

• On the Startup Settings screen, choose the startup setting for
      Safe Mode with Networking (Generally F5 key is pressed to select this setting).

• Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

Once the system boots in Safe Mode with Networking then, try step 2

Step 2: Clean Boot

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.
    To know more, follow the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

The same steps can be followed for Windows 10 operating system.

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section ‘How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting’.

Try method 2, if the issue persist

Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the Network adapter/drivers

Follow these steps to uninstall and reinstall the driver:

Step 1: Uninstall the network drivers

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

b) Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

c) Search for the network adapter/drivers from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and
    then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.

d) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.

After the restart, you may again open the Device Manager and then click on the “Scan for hardware
    changes” button at the top of the Device Manager window and check if Windows 10 detects the network devices and installs an appropriate driver for it automatically. If that happens, then check if it resolves the issue.

Step 2: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

If the issue still persist, then you may refer to the
    manufactureswebsite and install the latest
    Network adapter/drivers
    for the device.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Neha.Gupta, Dec 23, 2016
  3. RodNight Win User
    I can only connect to the internet in safe mode

I'm running Windows 10 and have been trying to sort out this issue for over a week now. I can not connect to the net while in normal mode. I keep being told my connection is broken. However all my other devices connect fine. I can only connect when in safe
    mode. I have been trough numerous potential solutions, none have worked. I have restored to previous points, checked all drivers and adapters, checked memory, registery and VSP. Please see screen shots of the messages I keep getting when I run trouble shooting.
    Restarting / Rebooting my router doesn't help either. Please help I totally lost here.

internet only in safe mode; what to look for [​IMG]

internet only in safe mode; what to look for [​IMG]

RodNight, Dec 23, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

It will be either software running at startup or a service disable all startup software and test if it's a service anti virus is best bet. How do you know you have no connection if the browser is failing open for prompt type tracert 194.119.131.66 see if it works

Samuria, Dec 23, 2016
  5. ComputerGeek, Dec 23, 2016
  6. jhearcht Win User
    I did a Safe Mode boot with Internet, but then my wireless keyboard didn't work. I now have borrowed a wired keyboard, but I don't know what to look for in Config.sys or some other place. My guess is that a Windows update changed something that interferes with internet connection. There's at least a hundred items in Config. I don't see anything directly related to the Network Adapter & Driver in the list of services.

Any clues as to what kind of service might cause internet to blink on & off? Otherwise, I'll just have to go down the list and turn-off an item, then reboot a hundred times.

PS__In Config.sys I alternately turned off 3 blocks of items, including MS items, and Internet was OK each time. But since the problem is intermittent, it's hard to tell if that means anything. For now, I have disabled only one MS service, the spying app "dwmapppushsvc". But Google search indicates that Win 10 doesn't allow you to completely eliminate that "service". Time will tell if it makes any difference.

jhearcht, Dec 24, 2016
  7. jhearcht Win User
    Update : after unchecking "dwmapppushsvc" in Config.sys, my internet connection has been stable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and knocking on wood, with hope that it's a complete fix for the problem. But is MS aware of a bug in its "Diagnostic Tracking Service" spyware? It's also labeled as "WAP Push Message Routing Service", but I don't know if turning it off will have any other noticeable consequences. It will probably be reinstalled in the next Win update.

Windows 10 Preview Has A Keylogger to Watch Your Every Move

jhearcht, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. internet only in safe mode; what to look for - Similar Threads - internet safe mode

2. Cursor only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor only in safe mode: Hello, I've been having problems with my GPU driver. Whenever I download a new GPU driver my PC crashes and doesn't work correctly. The only thing that helps me with this is uninstalling the new driver and installing a stable older one. For that, I need to load safe mode. At...
  3. Cursor only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor only in safe mode: Hello, I've been having problems with my GPU driver. Whenever I download a new GPU driver my PC crashes and doesn't work correctly. The only thing that helps me with this is uninstalling the new driver and installing a stable older one. For that, I need to load safe mode. At...
  4. What is safe mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is safe mode?: So I heard about something called booting in safe mode. I know very few about it but can some one please give me detailed information about safe boot. Thanks for your help! :D...
  5. What is safe mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is safe mode?: So I heard about something called booting in safe mode. I know very few about it but can some one please give me detailed information about safe boot. Thanks for your help! :D...
  6. What is safe mode?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. what is safe mode?

in Windows 10 Customization
    what is safe mode?: How did safe mode get on my computer? How do I change it to run normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-safe-mode/9ab6e0e9-1ed0-4462-b17a-34aacf6704f5
  8. I am able to access internet only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am able to access internet only in safe mode: I am having Windows 10. Recently I am able to access the internet only in the safe mode. On checking the updates for windows, I found the following screen. Can someone help? Even "Fix Issues" do not help.[ATTACH]...
  9. Internet only available in safe mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet only available in safe mode: Hi to all. Yesterday I tried to update my antivirus (COMODO interent security) and after upgrade, It asked for restart. (I was using Windows 10 Pro 1607). I restarted the windows & suddenly the COMODO stopped working! I uninstalled COMODO & restarted, went to internet &...
  10. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...: Good Evening, I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were...