Windows 10: Internet Radio on Linux VM - Great program - Cantata

Discus and support Internet Radio on Linux VM - Great program - Cantata in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there If you like Internet Radio and you have a Linux VM (or even a LINUX HOST) there's a great FREE program - CANTATA out there (actually most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 5, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Internet Radio on Linux VM - Great program - Cantata

Hi there

If you like Internet Radio and you have a Linux VM (or even a LINUX HOST) there's a great FREE program - CANTATA out there (actually most stuff on Linux is available FREE). You will need a standard Linux GUI though for the program to run.

Unlike most programs when you've selected say a CITY it will sort by GENRE -- much better than getting a load of say 100 stations and have to sift through them to get what you like.

You need to install also mpd (music daemon). Your package manager should have these.

When starting Cantata for the first time (ensure mpd daemon (service) has been started and choose single user mode for desktop working.

Program will also play streamed music etc from a variety of sources but I use it for Internet Radio -- there's NOTHING even remotely as convenient in Windows unless you install something like Logitech media server and that's a SERVER so to play it locally on Windows you need something that the server plays into -- !!!

This program plays locally !! no extra software needed.

Why more programs can't sort stations by GENRE is beyond me !!!!!

Internet  Radio on Linux VM - Great program - Cantata [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2017
  2. kjl1956 Win User

Win10 prevents 3rd party backup programs from creating a bootable iso

Win10 prevents 3rd party backup programs from creating a bootable iso.

Aomei backupper pro, creating linux boot media gets stuck at 99% complete, another

win10 mess with linux on vm from the store !!!!!!

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

kjl1956, Feb 5, 2017
  3. External Hard Drive not in File Explorer

Plug in the drive and then boot the VM, although there's a possibility that the VM layer is causing issues so look at the host hardware that is accessible to the VM.

Alternately do as I recommended above i.e. "boot from a Linux Live USB/DVD with the drive already attached to your PC and powered on". That way you're booting directly into Linux and your drive may be accessible. No guarantees though.

RobertJWin, Feb 5, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

5. Berton Win User
    macOS [Mac OS X] also.

Berton, Feb 13, 2017
  6. GalaxyGe Win User
    tried TuneIn for Windows app this week, it does handle genres, too. Anyway, love to find a nice Linux solution!

GalaxyGe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Internet Radio on Linux VM - Great program - Cantata - Similar Threads - Internet Radio Linux

2. Archiver programs for Linux VM's 7-zip fm

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Archiver programs for Linux VM's 7-zip fm: Hi folks this is a good one for anybody running Linux VM's 7-Zip FM Nice GUI and works like the Windows version - handles almost any archive format - if you have the 7-zip program on Wondows thie GUI here is almnost identical. (As with most decent Linux software -- Free of...
  3. Finding and Playing Internet Radio Stations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Finding and Playing Internet Radio Stations: This enquiry is from a non technical person with a neurological disability. What please in 2019 are the various options available to seek and play Internet Radio stations via a Windows 10 Desktop Personal Computer and where are the instructions to easily use such...
  4. Second Linux VM won't connect to internet in Hyper-V Windows 10

Second Linux VM won't connect to internet in Hyper-V Windows 10: Why am I getting this result on the second VM? The first VM is off, works when on, and is 192.168.155.163. The subnet looks right. The IP of the default switch for Hyper-V in Windows 10 is 192.168.155.161. [ATTACH]...
  5. HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound

HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound: Hi folks trying an experiment I hadn't thought of before Going through some old junk I found a small mini USB sound and Mic adapter. Tested it on a Native CENTOS machine (the one with the radeon GPU where I couldn't get sound working in any case) Worked fine -- hardware...
  6. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  7. Linux VM's - User Desktop Icons for running programs

Linux VM's - User Desktop Icons for running programs: Hi there Sometimes you might like to have a desktop icon (like Windows) for running an application instead of a generic one. For example - This works on a KDE desktop but similar for GNOME etc - say you want to run an application you've downloaded from the net --I'll...
  8. Internet Radio - any program to sort by GENRE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Radio - any program to sort by GENRE: Try Aimp [img]
  9. roberts stream internet radio.

roberts stream internet radio.: Updated to windows 10 last week, everything fine except I cannot stream my music from my computer to roberts internet radio. Eveything is correct ie sharing and allowing ,the computer recognises the radio in devices but radio states (No upnp media servers found). have...
  10. 1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!!

1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!!: Hi there after no problem with all the various updates on Windows 1607 I've really got a strange one now Laptop (HP envy) has lost Wifi and Internet connectivity on the Windows HOST - but a Linux VM I'm running on the same laptop has absolutely NO problem connecting to...