Windows 10: Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang

Discus and support Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm on a fresh install Win10Home64Bit, 1709.16299.125. This occurs the instant I get to the desktop after installation and forever after. Right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by svanhildr, Dec 18, 2017.

1. svanhildr Win User

Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang

I'm on a fresh install Win10Home64Bit, 1709.16299.125. This occurs the instant I get to the desktop after installation and forever after. Right clicking on an internet shortcut (.URL) in file explorer or on desktop causes explorer to hang and occasionally crash. Occasionally, left clicking or drag selecting causes it, but it is less common. SFC /scannow, chkdsk /scan and dism /online /cleanup-image /(checkhealth, scanhealth, restorehealth, StartComponentCleanup, AnalyzeComponentStore) all report no problems.

So after a lot of googling and trying to troubleshooting everything I possibly could I finally stumbled upon ShellExView. If I disable the "Internet Shortcut" extension name, 6 others also disable. They are Context Menu, Icon Handler, InfoTip Handler, Property Handler, Property Sheet, Shell Link (ANSI), and Shell Link (Unicode). Version # of Internet Explorer is 11.00.15299.15 (WinBuild.160101.0800). File name for these is ieframe.dll.

I have no idea where to go from here, but basically all internet shortcuts do not currently work for me which is quite annoying and any help would be appreciated. If you need more info, I'll definitely answer the best I can.

:)

svanhildr, Dec 18, 2017
  2. Arul_D Win User

Lost tabs- how to get them back?

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

Internet Explorer stores certain info about the sites you visit on your PC in case there's a crash, hang, or unexpected shutdown. This is called Automatic Crash Recovery, and it lets you pick up where you left off in case Internet Explorer unexpectedly
    closes. Automatic Crash Recovery stores the URL of each page you have open, each tab's back/forward history, the arrangement of the tabs, and any info you've entered on the page. Refer to the below link:

(Refer: Restore a browsing session after a crash, hang, or shutdown)

Reopen or restore a browsing session or tabs

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/...or-restore-previous-browsing-session#ie=ie-11

Hope this helps.

Arul_D, Dec 18, 2017
  3. Plasonn Win User
    Internet Explorer freezes on Windows 10

Where is ' Internet Explorer crashes, freezes, or hangs' on the link page?

Plasonn, Dec 18, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

If the URL is causing the system to crash, stop using it. Just paste a Shortcut or bookmark to the Home or save to a folder for those bookmarks you may come back to later. It also depends on what web browser that you are using.

bro67, Dec 18, 2017
  5. svanhildr Win User
    It's not a specific URL, it's any URL shortcut. I wish it were actually easy to stop using URL shortcuts, I may actually just keep this disabled which essentially does that, just to stop explorer.exe from crashing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "depends on what web browser you are using", but I've tried this with IE, Edge, Vivaldi, Firefox, Chrome, Opera. Doesn't matter what my default is set to, because it is always using ieframe.dll to deal with those links. If there is a way to change the dll it uses, then I'm pretty sure that would, but I have no idea how to do that + not sure what file to use per browser.

svanhildr, Dec 18, 2017
  6. svanhildr Win User
    Ooookay, so between disabling it all in ShellExView, and trying to replace the ieframe.dll, then deleting it and seeing if sfc / dism could restore it, I somehow got the context menu to be removed, while still being able to right click and use url shortcuts. I'm going to reformat and see what actually does work.

svanhildr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang - Similar Threads - Internet Shortcut Internet

2. Internet Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer: What happen if I disable Internet explorer? Is my game and apps will have bad problem after I disable Internet explorer? I don't use Internet explorer. It is connected with Edge. I have chrome as my default browser....
  3. Something's checking Internet Explorer's typed URL list?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Something's checking Internet Explorer's typed URL list?: My paranoid me is looking for recently used/opened files to check if someone else was accessing them and almost everytime there's the Internet Explorer inbetween. I guess it's most likely Windows' normal bootup "data grab" checking routine but I was just wondering and asking...
  4. Internet Explorer . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internet Explorer . . .: I'm having some problems, with Internet Explorer. I want to uninstall it. But, I might reinstall it later. I opened the, Control Panel. Uninstall. But, Internet Explorer, was not there? How can I, uninstall it . . . If I, can't see it? I could, go here. To take care, of...
  5. Internet Explorer . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internet Explorer . . .: My computer is a Dell laptop, running Windows 10 pro. I just installed, Internet Explorer 11. It required a restart. But, after coming back, to my desktop. It was, nowhere to be found? Do, you know where, I can look for it? Should, I re-install it? Help. Thanks for...
  6. Internet Explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internet Explorer keeps crashing: I get an error Sysfader:iexplorer.exe I am running Windows 10 laptop and Internet Explorer11. But on Windows 7 laptop I don’t have this problem. Thanks, Ester...
  7. Internet Explorer crashing (Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll)

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer crashing (Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll): We have a problem with Internet Explorer crashing several times a day. Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll seems to cause this. Here is the event: Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0x6639744d Faulting module name: Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll,...
  8. Internet Explorer crashing (Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll)

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet Explorer crashing (Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll): We have a problem with Internet Explorer crashing several times a day. Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll seems to cause this. Here is the event: Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0x6639744d Faulting module name: Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll,...
  9. Internet Explorer crashed yesterday.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internet Explorer crashed yesterday.: How do I restore IE 11 on Windows 10 home 64 bit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/internet-explorer-crashed-yesterday/d8cf021c-e025-4bd4-a6da-d3d4aacb5cb5
  10. Internet Explorer Crashing

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer Crashing: This seems to be happening to quite a few people on Windows 10 it seems. It has started happening to me too lately. It happens when, say, I have one tab open to the forums, and I open another to get an image from Bing Images to make a point, or just for fun(those who know...