Windows 10: Internet slows down when mom comes home. (how do i figure out why?)

Discus and support Internet slows down when mom comes home. (how do i figure out why?) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; You need to ask your Mom for her phone to see what apps are using the bandwidth once her phone signs onto the wifi. Android settings vary from version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xips, Apr 5, 2018.

1. xips Win User

Internet slows down when mom comes home. (how do i figure out why?)

You need to ask your Mom for her phone to see what apps are using the bandwidth once her phone signs onto the wifi. Android settings vary from version to version. Under System Settings, I have a Data Usage selection that breaks down Mobile & WiFi usage per app. I restrict my droid from getting gabby over my carrier's mobile link to prevent surprise billing charges. It's possible that your Mom has this sort of setup to prevent overcharging fees.

Another option is setting up QOS within your router if available.

Final option is stay off the gaming until Mom's phone has done it's thing.

xips, Apr 5, 2018
  2. McSweg Win User

Hello! So I was playing a video game and when ever my mom comes home my internet starts to lag, very bad. I can tell b/c of the ping spike in game. I figured out the issue is coming from my moms phone when it auto connects to our wifi. I disabled the wifi on her phone and notice the lag was gone and when I reconnected with her phone the lag was back.

I checked her recently used apps to see if shes using something that can be uploading or downloading data but no app seems like it's doing so. How can I figure out what's exactly making my internet lag on her phone?

it's android phone and it isn't rooted so is there any network apps or something like that?

:)

McSweg, Apr 21, 2018
  3. Why is my E71 so slow???

i have the same problem .. any solutions yet? something i loaded must be slowing it down but how to figure out what it is? there are enough posts accross the internet this is obviously a problem

barrydorian, Apr 21, 2018
  4. m.c.h. Win User

windows 10 home page gone

Thank you for your reply. I figured out from some other site how to fix this problem. When the page went out it did not show any content other then the search bar and when I changed it to the Internet Explorer page every time I clicked the home icon it
    went back to the Edge page which would come up blank with just the search bar again. What I had to do to fix the problem was to shut down the computer manually with the power button on the computer itself then restart it and all was fixed .

m.c.h., Apr 21, 2018
  5. swarfega Win User
    What do you mean precisely when she comes home. Does she have a computer? Are you on wifi, if so what version (b/g/n/ac).

If its a frequent problem and your house is not too large or old, consider powerline adaptors.

swarfega, Apr 21, 2018
  6. BRKKAB Win User
    It's quite possible that your mom has parental controls set up and doesn't want her son gaming all the time.
    Most parents want their kids doing their school work first.
    Why don't you ask her.
    Personally nobody here should be telling a child how to disobey the childs parents.

BRKKAB, Apr 21, 2018
  7. Is your console/PC connected to your router through Ethernet or WiFi? Do other devices that show lag when the phone is connected?

The traffic monitor built in to Android should be accurate so if it's not reporting any traffic then it's likely something else. What WiFi router are you using?

PolarNettles, Apr 21, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

We had the same issue in our church with one Router not having sufficient bandwidth, solution was to change the Wi-Fi password and restrict who used it. The underlying problem was that folks would log on to the Router but fail to log off when finished or leaving then would auto-connect when back in range, took up a lot of bandwidth. Years ago with Dial-up and early broadband everyone in town knew when school was out and kids got home.

Berton, Apr 21, 2018
  9. One probable cause could be all applications and services that start syncing data and check for updates the moment the phone connects to WiFi.

Does this issue go away after a while when your mom has come home? If not, then next probable cause is your router. The more devices are connected to WiFi, the more interference you will experience and the worse your ping will become.

slicendice, Apr 21, 2018
  10. flybynite Win User
    Perhaps you just need faster internet, or a better router.

flybynite, Apr 21, 2018
  11. sml156 Win User
    If you are using WiFi, You may have a better connection at say 150Mb, Your Mum might not have a device capable of this and connects at say 54Mb, Once she connects to the router it will switch all connected devices to the slower speed of 54Mb.

If you have a router that has both 2.4 and 5Ghz I would connect to the band that she is not using.

sml156, Apr 22, 2018
  12. McSweg Win User
    Basically when she's in range of our wifi her phone auto connects to our wifi. I am on the wifi (my phone is on the wifi) my computer is completely wired to our internet as well.

It's her phone only not her computer.

Mode:11bgn mixed

McSweg, Apr 22, 2018
  13. McSweg Win User

No she doesn't. I am 21 lol and she doesn't know what parent controls are and I have full control of the router and I have parent control disabled.

And if you're wondering why my name is cringy it's just a throw-away name. Yes there are 21 year olds who still with their parents that play video games.

McSweg, Apr 22, 2018
  14. McSweg Win User
    My PC is connected via ethernet cable. My phone is on the wifi but I never had issues with my phone lagging the internet it's only when my mom comes home and her phone connects to the internet.

300M Wireless N Router Model No. TL-WR841N

McSweg, Apr 22, 2018
  15. McSweg Win User
    No one but 3 people have access to our internet and the 3rd one rarely visits so that shouldn't be the issue.

McSweg, Apr 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Internet slows down when mom comes home. (how do i figure out why?) - Similar Threads - Internet slows down

2. why can't i figure this out?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why can't i figure this out?: i bought a copy of windows 11 from Microsoft's website, but when i installed it it just gave me a better version of windows 10. i can't figure it out thru the updates section either. what am i missing or forgetting?...
  3. why can't i figure this out?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why can't i figure this out?: i bought a copy of windows 11 from Microsoft's website, but when i installed it it just gave me a better version of windows 10. i can't figure it out thru the updates section either. what am i missing or forgetting?...
  4. Why is my internet speed slowing down when opening games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my internet speed slowing down when opening games?: Hi there,I am connected through ethernet cable to my internet network and the internet speed is mostly at 700-800 Mbps, even through Wi-Fi the internet speed is 300-350 Mbps, but everytime I'm opening a game such as League of Legends or CS:GO the internet speed goes down to...
  5. Why is my internet speed slowing down when opening games?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my internet speed slowing down when opening games?: Hi there,I am connected through ethernet cable to my internet network and the internet speed is mostly at 700-800 Mbps, even through Wi-Fi the internet speed is 300-350 Mbps, but everytime I'm opening a game such as League of Legends or CS:GO the internet speed goes down to...
  6. Internet slows down

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet slows down: This started happening about 2 weeks ago, I would get on my hp slim desktop and whenever we would use it the whole internet in my home would go really slow.I’ve reset my computer completely and unplugged the Ethernet cord to try and use the wifi but it still did the same...
  7. I can figure out why my pc is getting Slow internet speeds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can figure out why my pc is getting Slow internet speeds: I looked at a post on here that said they’ve recently started having slow internet due to an update so I gave their solution a shot which was to disable EEE. That’s was my last option because I’ve already updated drivers tried different wires. Connected directly to my modem....
  8. How do I figure this out? I've read the sidebar and thread but, I still can't figure out...

How do I figure this out? I've read the sidebar and thread but, I still can't figure out...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MrOptiX [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gvsr3e/how_do_i_figure_this_out_ive_read_the_sidebar_and/
  9. How do I figure this out? I've read the sidebar and thread but, I still can't figure out...

How do I figure this out? I've read the sidebar and thread but, I still can't figure out...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MrOptiX [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gvs8kn/how_do_i_figure_this_out_ive_read_the_sidebar_and/
  10. Slowed down internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slowed down internet: I have a problem related to internet and network settings in Windows 10. The problem what I am currently experiencing is that the internet speed is slowed down significantly to 3% of the contracted speed. Normally I get 100Mbps from speedtest, but everytime I experiencing...