Windows 10: Internet speed problems

Discus and support Internet speed problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello; I'm trying to find out if there is something wrong with my network settings. I just upgraded my service with my cable provider. I had been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gudzilla, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Gudzilla Win User

Internet speed problems

Hello;

I'm trying to find out if there is something wrong with my network settings. I just upgraded my service with my cable provider. I had been using their 50Mbps service and was getting around 40-45 on all of my devices when I ran speedtest.net.
    I just upgraded to a 200Mbps service. When I run the test on my android phone and tablet it gets about 150. I imagine the lack of max speed is due to network traffic, but my W10 desktop and W7 laptop are both only getting about 25Mbps.

Where would be the best place to start troubleshooting?

:)

Gudzilla, Mar 15, 2016

2. internet speed problem

I have used many of the networks such as Vodafone Airtel idea and docomo but still the problem is same in my Lumia I have tried this thing in my friends' Lumia 730 an problem is same!!!

Shivam agarwal vodafone, Mar 15, 2016
  3. Internet speed problem

C2 01 is not a 3g handset

Dhdhdharani, Mar 15, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Internet speed problems

It depends on what Gateway you are using and if using WiFi or ethernet. It can depend on the chipset for the laptop and desktop, along with other reasons that you are going to have to post further information on the manufacturer and model of the Gateway, Chipset for the laptop and desktop, if you are using either Wifi or Ethernet.

bro67, Mar 15, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    First, congratulations on getting the Mbps right. What I'd do is a power unplug reset of the modem/router, wait a minute, plug it back in and try again. I've seen times where an ISP will work on a system, perhaps only in a neighborhood, which doesn't refresh things.

Berton, Mar 15, 2016
  6. Are you on WiFi?

If you need to get all of your 200 Mbps speed, your device must have 802.11ac and your Access point must be 802.11ac too:

Internet speed problems [​IMG]

theveterans, Mar 18, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    theveterans that is only half of it. The other is that you have to have a decent router that can handle the speeds. Most off the shelf consumer gear cannot sustain anything higher then 125 mbps for WAN to LAN. Even with Wireless-ac, you are not going to get the full speed of the connection, since the A/P will adjust its speed accordingly to the data packets and error rate.

bro67, Mar 18, 2016
  8. Internet speed problems

TairikuOkami, Mar 18, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Windows 7, 8.x, 10 are self tuning. There is no need for extra software, since the OS will just ignore any changes.

bro67, Mar 20, 2016
  10. Gudzilla Win User
    Thanks for all the input and help. The "ac" standard was what I was missing. I have two laptops that are a couple or more years old and they only had up to the "n" standard. I do have one newer USB stick adapter, and I tried it on those and am getting the results I was expecting.
    One thing I did find out though, was for my desktop pc I had been using a powerline adapter. It was supposedly rated at 200Mbps, but it was only getting a small fraction of that. The computer is a couple of rooms away from the modem so I had to string some patch cables together with connectors to test it, but when I did, I realized the powerline was the bottleneck in the whole system. After that I tried the newer wireless adapter, and that had even better speed than the multi-section test cable I used. I imagine using a mishmash of wiring probably slowed the connection down, so I'll probably have to eventually go into the attic and pull some wires but I'm getting great results now for what I have.
    Thanks again for the advice.*Biggrin

Gudzilla, Mar 23, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    You would only need AC if you plan on media streaming or have a connection higher then 150 mbps. Even then a 3 channel Wireless-N will still take care of you and get better distances then Wireless-AC will.

With B still being used for stuff like wireless controlled thermostats, light and other controllers, which do not need but a short command. Also used for backhaul for SMNP and monitoring equipment in the firld. it will always be around forever. G will also be around for a long time.

AC has come a long way in two years. It still has a few more to go, before the Access Points for Enterprise get down to lower cost.

Powerline adapters are like traveling on a congested Interstate during construction. It is dependent on how good of quality the electeical witing is and distance. You are better in using MoCa adapters, since the speed will stay more constant.

Stringing a bunch of cat-5e can work fine as long as there is no nicks in the wiring or bad couplers. Used to just put a couple of Keystones on a box of wire when we used to have to troubleshoot a bad wire from point to point. This was when the test equipment was not that accurate and a lot more bulky.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Internet speed problems

1. Internet speed problems - Similar Threads - Internet speed problems

2. Internet speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet speed: My ethernet speed is just 10mbps but when I disconnect the ethernet it shows link speed back to 1000gbps, after having a speed test it's shows 9-10mbps, how to increase the speed...
  3. Internet Speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Speed: My Internet Speed is 100 Mbps but on my Laptop it's showing not more than 45Mbps whereas on phone it shows100+mbps. Model Dell Inspiron 5537 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-speed/520da7d7-eaac-42a7-a621-9f1250d4e8bc
  4. Internet speed problem!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet speed problem!: Regards to all! In addition to my Dell workstation, there is also a Fujitsu Celsius R670-2 workstation. On Dell, the internet speed is 300Mb/s, and on Fujitsu it is 110Mb/s. Upload is same. What is the problem? 170026
  5. Ethernet internet speed problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet internet speed problems: Hello fellow redditors. A week ago I installed a 50 meter ethernet cable directly from my router to my HP Omen Laptop to increase my internet speeds, but mainly to have a reliable connection so that I dont get disconnected from the online classes. I have noticed a problem...
  6. Problem of low speed internet

Problem of low speed internet: Hello to all. I just bought a laptop, but I ran into a problem: the phone catches the Internet at 100 Mbps, and the laptop is only 20 at the same distance ... How can I fix this? Intel driver updated, no one has changed ... submitted by /u/MasterHunter234 [link]...
  7. Internet speed

Internet speed: For well over a month I've been experiencing issues with Windows 10 and the internet speeds I'm getting. I'm using wi-fi, and have no issues on any other devices just my windows 10 laptop! I'm attaching a link that shows how much my speeds fluctuated in a short amount of...
  8. Internet speed

Internet speed: Hello, A month ago I got a new solid state 1 tb hard drive...already using Windows 10. Everything has been fine, after working out the bugs, until now. Download speed is only 12 in room furthest from router, 30 or 50 or 70 in other rooms. On two other computers with windows...
  9. internet speed

internet speed: My ethernet card said transmission speed is 100/100. Is there a way to increase this speed. My internet provider said they are transmitting 400 mbps to me. How do I get my data at this speed on a win 10 pc. CAN IT BE DONE? If not then I need to pay for a lesser speed....
  10. Internet Speeds

Internet Speeds: Hi folks, just looking for some information here. I have been a long-time Virgin Media customer and never really had cause to complain before. When we moved house back in May they had to do a fresh installation as they couldn't find the cable that came into the property...