Windows 10: Interpreting results from ScanPST.exe

Discus and support Interpreting results from ScanPST.exe in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I am certain that OL is set up incorrectly, First, because I have been getting send/receive errors along with all of my mail after the initial... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by BellaDonna, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Interpreting results from ScanPST.exe

I am certain that OL is set up incorrectly,
    First, because I have been getting send/receive errors along with all of my mail after the initial Finish/Done.
    I passed the first test and all subsequent Repair tests. I receive all mail and still receive errors, so it's my backups that concern me the most.

I ran scanpst and it found many errors.
    I believe it runs through 8 levels, but after the first scan, the message said that it repaired all.
    I find that hard to believe.
    AND:
    The .bak file was in the address bar, not the pst file. Is that normal?

I haven't reopened Outlook yet, because I am unclear about how my files should look and what I should look for.
    I do not know if repairing will fix everything attendant with the files. The goal is to end up with something far different from what I have. I never had a file named: L: MyName@something.com, instead of C: Documents\Outlook.

I'm using Acronis, AOMEI, and Backup & Restore. Trying History also. (I also have SyncToy, which I installed for backups not for syncing. I think I am permanently replacing it with AOMEI, but not getting rid of anything yet).
    I have gotten non-specific backup errors. Some of failed but most have succeeded.
    (And yeah - it's over the top. One major pst failure is enough for this kind of reaction.)

Will repair - or can repair ALSO consolidate the backups that I have in E and F drive and put them into C drive?
    Discrete backups are expected, but I want the C drive to eventually have a full restore capability and I doubt if I can do that now - via files, not an image.

I restored on Monday, so damage should be minimal.

Thank you.

:)

BellaDonna, Jul 29, 2016

2. How to interpret scan result from Malware Protection Center

I uploaded the installer, created with Inno Setup, for a windows forms application I developed but I do not undertand the reported Detection Status. The alert level section is blank.

* Detection Status{CurrentFileDetermination: {DeterminationTypeId:

"2"},CurrentScanResult: {DetectionName:

"",ThreatId:"0",ThreatSignatureData: {Severity:""}}}

What does the above mean?

Is there documentation that explains this?

billsahiker, Jul 29, 2016
  3. How to interpret scan result from Malware Protection Center

Would you mind to send me the submission link in Microsoft Malware Protection Center?

If you want to learn more about how it works, you may submit sample to:

https://malwr.com/submission/

Cyber_Defend_Team, Jul 29, 2016
  4. Interpreting results from ScanPST.exe

Does anybody have a clue what I should do here?
    Bak files are not interchangeable with pst files, as far as I know.
    What is being backed up?
    How should I change my settings OR do I create a new pst file?

Thank you.

BellaDonna, Aug 2, 2016
  5. x509 Win User
    I'm a long, long-time OL user, which means I'm also a long-time scanpst.exe user. Based on my experience, you often need to run scanpst.exe several times on an OL pst file to squash all the errors.

The *.bak file is simply the old pst file renamed.

If you need to restore, you should do that from the most recently backed up pst file.

x509, Aug 2, 2016
  6. I reread my post and did post questions, so thank you for a response.

I read that about scanpst, but for some reason, it stopped after the first level when I ran it a second time. Is there a trick to this?

As I said, you can't open a bak, so why are baks still being created? Which program (of the several mentioned) is doing it? What is the purpose? Answer In any order.

I was in OL trying to create a new profile, which I screwed up a half-dozen times, based on online instructions which are not complete enough, as far as I am concerned.

I just looked at my files. The main account where are pst files are sent is named: L: bella@sbcglobal.net but it only has 285 emails.

The INBOX, underneath my main account title, with properties that say L: bella@sbcglobal.net. has 31,000 + emails, which is normal (with duplicates).

Inside INBOX, I instructed it to copy all emails to bella@sbcglobal.
    The 30,000+ did not end up there, even thought I left OL copying emails. INSTEAD, I created another Inbox.

There must be a mistake in having a file (bella@sbcglobal) with what are NOW 33 emails, not 285.
    With two identical inboxes, I will delete what I just did.

I still get Send/Receive errors every day, along with my emails. These are the reasons I am sure backups and emails are screwy.

How can I fix this?
    Pictures if you would like.

Thank you.

BellaDonna, Aug 2, 2016
  7. x509 Win User
    Bella,

I'm not sure where to start, and I'm not sure I'm the right guy to answer your questions. Can I recommend Outlook and Exchange Solutions Center, which is an Outlook and Exchange focused website. They have some real gurus there, which I am not.

x509, Aug 3, 2016
  8. Interpreting results from ScanPST.exe

I wonder why I placed this in the wrong forum. Maybe I looked too hard.
    Thank you for the tip.

BellaDonna, Aug 3, 2016
  9. I brought this from another forum, so here is the main outline:

Re: Getting an all clear from the scan and knowing there are errors - with the suggestion to run it more than once.
    I read that about scanpst, but for some reason, it stopped after the first level when I ran it a second time. Is there a trick to this?

Re: What are baks? Why are my PSTs being saved as .bak? I read that you cannot change the extension and use them, so why are bak files saved?
    As I said, you can't open a bak, so why are baks still being created? Which program (of the several mentioned) is doing it? What is the purpose? Answer In any order.

Re: One of two reasons I ran SCANPST is below and I mention the other further down.
    I was in OL trying to create a new profile, which I screwed up a half-dozen times, based on online instructions which are not complete enough, as far as I am concerned.

I just looked at my files. The main account where are pst files are sent is named: L: bella@sbcglobal.net but it only has 285 emails.

The INBOX, underneath my main account title, with properties that say L: bella@sbcglobal.net. has 31,000 + emails, which is normal (with duplicates).

Inside INBOX, I instructed it to copy all emails to bella@sbcglobal.
    The 30,000+ did not end up there, even thought I left OL copying emails. INSTEAD, I created another Inbox.

There must be a mistake in having a file (bella@sbcglobal) with what are NOW 33 emails, not 285.
    With two identical inboxes, I will delete what I just did.
    I was running an enhanced Delete Outlook Dupes program. I overdid it on the enhanced functions, although I am sure they will come in handy after I start restoring many of my files. For now, Instead of deleting the additional and very unnecessary file, I did a restore pst to yesterday.

I still get Send/Receive errors every day, along with all my emails. These are the reasons I am sure 1. backups and 2. emails are screwy.

How can I fix this?
    Pictures if you would like.

Thank you.

BellaDonna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Interpreting results from ScanPST.exe

1. Interpreting results from ScanPST.exe - Similar Threads - Interpreting results ScanPST

2. Interpretation of WPA network result

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Interpretation of WPA network result: Hi all,I am concerned about my network results shown in WPA.Two questions:1 As you can see on attached screenshot, I send UDP packets to 128 tick game server with expected rate and I can assume that my NIC is working fine, but is it normal that I receive UDP packets with such...
  3. Interpretation of WPA network result

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Interpretation of WPA network result: Hi all,I am concerned about my network results shown in WPA.Two questions:1 As you can see on attached screenshot, I send UDP packets to 128 tick game server with expected rate and I can assume that my NIC is working fine, but is it normal that I receive UDP packets with such...
  4. Interpretation of WPA network result

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. interpreting minidumps from BSOD system_thread_exemption_not_handled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    interpreting minidumps from BSOD system_thread_exemption_not_handled: can anyone help in interpreting minidumps so i have a general idea of what drivers are causing the crash. BSOD system_thread_exemption_not_handled. thank you link to dump files and system info https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArHvk5IQpP-RhAN2HI9EEnDaeJG2?e=ojRdhv...
  6. replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs

in Windows 10 Support
    replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs: I'm not a professional IT guy, so i don't know how to solve this problem myself. I'm just Joe Enthusiast here. Here is the situation. System is Win 10 64 Pro, currently at 1809, with patches applied. 16 GB of RAM, with SSD for C: and D: (data) partitions. Outlook is part of...
  7. Interpreting sfc /scannow results

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Interpreting sfc /scannow results: My W10 Pro PC is running quite well. I decided to run sfc /scannow and came up with the following results: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at...
  8. Interpreting SetupErr.Log

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Interpreting SetupErr.Log: Have attempted to update Windows 10 to insider preview 19h1. The setuperr.log was accessed, showing loads of errors. I need help in interpreting the errors. Below is the setuperr.log _______________________________________________________ 2019-03-01 13:21:43, Error...
  9. setuperr.log Interpretation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    setuperr.log Interpretation: I've been trying to update my laptop to Windows 10 pro 1809 from 1803 without success, and have attempted just about all suggestions found online to fix this. The end result is always the same, getting error code 0x800704B8 - 0x3001A (The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT...
  10. run scanpst

in Windows 10 Support
    run scanpst: I have serious problems. 1. I can't get access to app data it is denied yet I am the only administrator on the computer. I keep getting access denied on quite a few things since upgrading from Win 7. 2. I have just been told to run inbox scanpst as my outlook has just...