Windows 10: Introducing Power Throttling in Windows 10

Discus and support Introducing Power Throttling in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; You may remember some of our January power experiments we mentioned in Build 15002’s release notes. Power Throttling was one of those experiments, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Introducing Power Throttling in Windows 10

Source: Introducing Power Throttling - Windows Experience Blog

See also:

:)

Brink, Apr 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 Power management

Windows 10 uses more CPU when idle than when in use. Please fix this.

Background processes, such as virus scanning, consume all available CPU when idle, as indicated by fans running at full speed when the computer is unattended, even on a laptop. This would seem to undo all efficiencies due to CPU throttling, power management
    etc. that were introduced since the "Energy Star" generation of PCs.

A new VW?

PhilipLishman, Apr 17, 2017
  3. Herman2 Win User
    Resource Monitor and Task Manager showing incorrect CPU usage, or is my CPU capped at 33%?

Your CPU is not running at maximum frequency. See the first screenshot in the top next to the blue bar graph. I'd suggest to check the power settings of the laptop, and set it to "High Performance" (in windows 10 you will need to go to 'additional power
    settings'). You can also check the settings of the power plan to confirm it is not throttling the CPU, under advanced power settings and then processor power management. The CPU may also be throttled because of high temperatures.

Herman2, Apr 17, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

New processors have some of that built in but also have to be backed up by OS. Ryzen for instance has many temperature, voltage and power sensors that are supposed to give best performance for a task without letting it overload anything. It's supposed to keep heat and voltage at minimum. Part of it is adjustable from BIOS/EFI but OS has to take advantage of it.

CountMike, Apr 18, 2017
  5. vgchat Win User
    It's unlikely that desktops have a battery, which is where most ryzen's are likely to be found. I'm not sure if any laptop uses ryzen yet.

vgchat, Apr 19, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    It's not only battery that is of concern but overall efficiency of whole system, less power = less heat (processor as well as rest of the system). GPUs have that built in for a while now. Conventional core parking and other automatic power regulation is/was introducing some lags in performance due to coarseness of steps involved.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Introducing Power Throttling in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Introducing Power Throttling

2. Enabling Power Throttling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling Power Throttling: Due to having tweaking the regedit my power throttling was deleted. I don't know how to restore it back. Any glues?I have Ideapad gaming 3 16iah7. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enabling-power-throttling/a7d94f65-d569-41e5-a2e9-343021990618
  3. Enabling Power Throttling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling Power Throttling: Due to having tweaking the regedit my power throttling was deleted. I don't know how to restore it back. Any glues?I have Ideapad gaming 3 16iah7. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enabling-power-throttling/a7d94f65-d569-41e5-a2e9-343021990618
  4. What's power throttling?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's power throttling?: Is it ok to disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-power-throttling/5ec1d432-5f2c-49ce-9a50-a277d43b825d
  5. What's power throttling?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's power throttling?: Is it ok to disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-power-throttling/5ec1d432-5f2c-49ce-9a50-a277d43b825d
  6. windows 10 power throttling AMD cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 power throttling AMD cpu: Is there any way to stop windows 10 throttling down down clocking an AMD A10 cpu on a lenovo ideapad laptop perhaps windows cannot control the fan speed and resorts to passive cooling i.e. down clocking HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power DWORD 32-bit...
  7. Windows is power throttling for no reason.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows is power throttling for no reason.: So I have been using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility recently and it just started power throttling while I am idle. Anyone know why? I usually get a CPU clock speed of 3.8 - 4 GHz but now all I get is 2.20 which is the lowest my i7 processor can go. I have tried restarting...
  8. Power Throttling in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Power Throttling in Windows 10: So I came across this page: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/power-...ing-windows-10 that talks about which processes use power throttling and when I follow the directions and click select columns I do not see an option to tick Power Throttling. Win 10 Pro. Anyone else who...
  9. Enable or Disable Power Throttling in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Power Throttling in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Power Throttling in Windows 10 [img] Information Most people running Windows like having multiple apps running at the same time – and often, what’s running in the background can drain your battery. You may remember some of the power...
  10. See if Apps are Power Throttling in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See if Apps are Power Throttling in Windows 10: How to: See if Apps are Power Throttling in Windows 10 How to See if Apps are Power Throttling in Windows 10 Most people running Windows like having multiple apps running at the same time and often, whats running in the background can drain your battery. You may...