Windows 10: Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta

Discus and support Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It was causing problems so I uninstalled it. I had to reinstall Office 365 and Pale Moon because of false positives. I still need to check to see if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Winuser Win User

Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta

It was causing problems so I uninstalled it. I had to reinstall Office 365 and Pale Moon because of false positives. I still need to check to see if all my programs will run.

Winuser, Feb 4, 2016
  2. lx07 Win User

Since the beta 3 the only false positive I'm getting is WinDirStat. Office 2012 and 2016 both work OK (I only use Word and Excel though). PaleMoon portable works but I've not tried the installed version as I don't use it.

I've got it installed on 10586 (x64) and 14257 (x86) and it is much more usable than a week ago.

3. Kyhi Win User
    I also removed it - due to False exe Blocking...

4. JohnBurns Win User

So far no problems with it. Guess I'm lucky.

JohnBurns, Feb 4, 2016
  5. Phone Man Win User
    Phone Man, Feb 4, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Thanks for that. It has fixed WinDirStat so I'm not getting any false positives any more (that I've found anyway *Wink )

7. Winuser Win User
    I'll wait until for a few more releases. I saw the warning about office being ransomware. After that I couldn't open it. When I tried to run Pale Moon I got a message about the program not being found. When I checked the Pale Moon folder the .exe file was missing. I haven't checked all my programs yet to see if any more have been deleted.

Winuser, Feb 5, 2016
  8. Dean73 Win User

Thx Beta 4 now installed.

Dean73, Feb 5, 2016
  9. socklosk Win User
    How many security software programs is MalwareBytes going to release?

I find that doing frequent backups is the best way to deal with malware, but even here I find that attackers can do things that make restore difficult.

socklosk, Feb 7, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    Regular backups is definitely one of the best thing we can do. After the backup is made it needs to be kept off the computer so it can't get infected. If my computer ever gets infected I'm going to use a Linux boot disk to completely wipe my drive then do my restore.

Winuser, Feb 7, 2016
  11. shmu26 Win User
    Does ransomware encrypt macrium reflect images?
    I do my daily system image backups onto a second internal hard drive, and only seldomly do a system image backup onto an external hard drive.

Another question: what's going to happen to my dropbox and onedrive files if I get hit by ransomware? Will the encrypted version of my files get synced to the cloud? If so, what's the best way to recover? It's pretty hard to restore a previous version manually on thousands of individual files.

shmu26, Mar 6, 2016
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Malwarebytes like most consumer grade AV programs have passed their sell by date - not needed and is an irrelevance nw.

Unless the database is updated daily how in the world does Malwarebytes distinguish between a legitimate windows program for example PHOTOSHOP.EXE and say a PUP called FOTKINO.EXE. Both programs legitimate windows programs - neither makes any specific dangerous kernel calls / uses any windows loopholes say memory leaks etc . All the PUP does is say call an internet service which in any case you can block with Windows firewall / your router - Photoshop also calls an internet service to check on licence / activation status.

I can't see how malwarebytes is of any use whatsoever in these situations.

I'd be interested in seeing if Malwarebytes actually in PRACTICE on typical users machines detects anything serious that Windows defender has missed.

For the test you need a typical users machine under normal user conditions and not a lab setup with specifically written viruses.!!

As far as ransomware is concerned - a decent restore from a backup will fix this - typically these days on modern machines a Macrium restore takes probably 15 mins at the most - and even less if you've got SSD's.

Ransomware probably comes usually from people opening emails with dubious attachments -How many times have people been warned NEVER EVER do that.

Again if the Ransomware manifests itself as a legitimate windows executable unless the database specifically names the program there isn't a hope that Malwarebytes (or most other AV stuff) will catch it. Even if the specific executable name exists in database the program might be called something else.

You can only basically make a partial attempt (not 100% effective anyway by comparing the entire executable with a copy of it stored in the AV database and if say there is an over 90% correlation between the two then refuse to run it. This would significantly increase the size of the database and definitely slow your machine down by a significant amount. Also the Ransomware writers would immediately change the code etc so until the next DB update the ransomware would get through.

I mean don't people have BRAINS on these Forums any more - If I were writing Ransomware or other Malware I'd have a few machines equipped with these products (The AV one's) so my nasties could avoid detection anyway. Just one successful scam would more than pay for extra hardware needed to write these nasties -- and if there's a lot of money to be made you can be sure Organised crime will be involved often with considerable resources too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 6, 2016
  13. Barman58 Win User

Malwarebytes is not an AV program, it is anti-Malware, and recently it was the only system that found and removed a potential attack on this forum, Admins, and SuperMods here use the Pro version in addition to the server based tools - the potential attack went through the in-built defender like an open window - Malwarebytes is not updated daily, but more like hourly.

The other thing with ransomware is that the modern versions lock the backup programs and the backups so a lot of users cannot use the system they have installed

Barman58, Mar 6, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

I'm talking about HOME computers - SERVERS and CORPORATE computers / networks require a different order of magnitude of protection and they face very different threats. For starters - these are connected probably 100% to the internet so they can get hourly updates etc - a lot of home computers aren't connected 24/7 to the Internet. Home computers don't usually have 100's or even several thousands of totally different types of users. Home computers are generally single user machines.

If the Ransomware locks the machine it doesn't matter as I assume you'd do the restore from a bootable stand alone (bare metal version of the restore program) - so job done.

Data can also be recovered if you have decent backups too. A lot of people store data on the cloud and elsewhere. Regular backups should always kill any Ransomware.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 6, 2016
  15. Barman58 Win User
    The potential attack on this forum was one where the target was the users not the servers, (a bad link in a post), we thoroughly tested using a a variety of user systems, (after we'd isolated the threat to ensure that no user was compromised *Wink ), Anti-Virus suites never even saw the attack nor did any of Microsoft's in-built software, malwarebytes Pro flagged the post as malicious without even having to click the link

Barman58, Mar 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta - Similar Threads - Introducing Malwarebytes Anti

2. malware and malwarebytes beta rootkit

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    malware and malwarebytes beta rootkit: Anyway to get the free malwarebytes beta anti-rootkit to scan a external hard drive for malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/malware-and-malwarebytes-beta-rootkit/87616022-f898-49ed-ad37-b5ab8ee7c27a
  3. Is MalwareByte Anti-Rootkit still a good tool?

Is MalwareByte Anti-Rootkit still a good tool?: MBAR is in beta status, and was last updated in 2017. My wife got some spam, and I want to do a rootkit scan, just in case. Norton security, Norton Power Eraser, and MalwareBytes anti-Malware all come up clean. 122311
  4. Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit

Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit: How to add an exclusions-list in Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit ? Program keeps finding the same items , which I have to exclude after every scan ! Would be much easier if we could add an exclusions-list............. Im sure more people are using this software , so appreciate...
  5. EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?

EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?: Just wondering what people are using for Windows 10? Apparently EMET can be easily exploited in Windows 10 and MB Anti exploit is recommended over it. Any opinions on this? Does the premium version of Anti exploit allow you to secure 3rd party apps as EMET is able to? 64470
  6. Malwarebytes Anti -Exploit

Malwarebytes Anti -Exploit: At the moment I'm using Bitdefender anti virus and Malwarebytes anti malware. Would it be advantageous to install the above program. I'm not sure I fully understand what this program is trying to do. I have read the description on their web site but I must admit it's a bit...
  7. Latest Version Malwarebytes Anti Exploit

Latest Version Malwarebytes Anti Exploit: Malwarebytes Anti Exploit Stand Alone Beta Latest beta version 1.12 Build 68 19 April 2018 ***Download page*** Protection: Protection against exploit-driven Process Hollowing attack Usability: Hypervisor Code Integrity (HVCI) Compliant Compatible with Windows...
  8. Latest Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Latest Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware: Latest Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware [img] Information BETA 8 Version: 0.9.17.661 Release Date: September 6th 2016 Information and Download: New version - BETA 8 - now available! - Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta - Malwarebytes Forums...
  9. Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta

Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta: Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta [img] For the last four years, ransomware has evolved into one of the biggest threats to cyber security that I’ve seen in a long time. Names like CryptoLocker, CryptoWall, and CTBLocker keep average computer users...
  10. Introducing the Outlook.com beta

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing the Outlook.com beta: Today, we’re launching the Outlook.com beta, an opt-in web experience where you can try out new product innovations and let us know what you think. Recent advances in programming, design, and artificial intelligence have enabled our engineers and designers to improve the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. malwarebytes ransomware false positive pale moon