Windows 10: Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta

Discus and support Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Come on Jimbo, numerous posts stating your anti AV progs efficacity is well documented. Nothing stated by you can prove or disprove one way or the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 25, 2016.

1. dencal Win User

Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta

Come on Jimbo, numerous posts stating your anti AV progs efficacity is well documented.
    Nothing stated by you can prove or disprove one way or the other as to which or what is the best protection.
    As for your I quote....."I mean don't people have BRAINS on these Forums any more".
    Are you suggesting yours is the only opinion that counts on this subject?

dencal, Mar 6, 2016
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

by BRAINS I meant people should avoid the obvious traps like opening emails from unknown users - and even worse opening the attachments.

Details of well known scams and how to avoid them have been posted many times on these Forums -- that's what I meant by BRAINS - people have them and should be able to use them. I wasn't implying whether I could qualify for MENSA or not - just warning people that the best defense is normally to use their computers sensibly and not to fall into any trap.

Fortunately only a very small number of people fall victims to a lot of these things but it's never a bad idea to remind people that they shouldn't totally simply rely on any software system to protect their computers.

I know a few people who think just because they've installed an AV package then they don't have to worry any more.

Decent CLEAN backups should always be able to recover a computer again -- note also if your computer has been successfully attacked change all your passwords etc as a matter of course.

@Barman58 -- I think the efforts of the team to keep the site safe and the users uncompromised are well appreciated. Job well done - thanks.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 6, 2016
  3. dencal Win User
    Hi Jimbo.
    Knowing your faith in relying on Defender only is in my opinion, based on my own experience a little naïve.
    Using the Insider O/S decided to, on the advice of certain members in this forum advocating it, to put my trust using Defender as my only AV.
    Using Edge as O/S (security allegedly beefed up) and viewing a Sky web page, clicked on an innocent looking link, lo and behold managed to get web page high jacked.
    Fortunately I knew that by disconnecting the router was able to eradicate this.
    The problem I see is that novices taking your advice might end up, not knowing how it managed to evade Defender, nor how to rid themselves of it.

dencal, Mar 6, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

PM me the link and I'll test it.

I've been using PC's since Windows 3.0 and never had a Virus - even in the XP days when this sort of stuff started to raise its ugly head.

Threats are more perceived than real (at least on a home computer) -- traps for the unwary are rogue websites, email scams, giving out too much data on social media etc.

The danger with a lot of AV stuff it doesn't "do on the tin" all it says - and too many people think that once installed they are 100% safe.

Threats like @Barman58 mentioned won't normally be applicable to single user (or essentially single user) home computers and in any case the site was using a professional version designed for enterprise situations -- different ballgame compared to most home users.

If people want to use things - well it's their choice - but they shouldn't be surprised if stuff still gets through.

In plain English the best defense mechanism is to TAKE MEGA CARE when surfing and ensure Browser things like Java script are globally disabled.

If you run something like Firefox in Linux in debug mode you can see even a simple google search on a simple say scientific question references a load of web sites.

Even the BBC home page goes through a couple of URLS before finally presenting the end user with the main site. It's actually quite instructive to look at what these browsers do in debug mode -- It's sometimes amazing they ever find the end site correctly.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 6, 2016
  5. dencal Win User
    Asking me to PM post you a dodgy link on this forum???? not sure Admin would approve.

dencal, Mar 6, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I only wanted to try out the link -- anyway I think I'm done with this debate now.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 6, 2016
  7. groze Win User
    I use the bit defender trafficlight Firefox plug-in to stop places like that. For SeaMonkey users, you can download the plugin and use the online converter website to use it in SeaMonkey. Caution make sure you are using the correct online converter website there are some copy cats.

groze, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta - Similar Threads - Introducing Malwarebytes Anti

2. malware and malwarebytes beta rootkit

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    malware and malwarebytes beta rootkit: Anyway to get the free malwarebytes beta anti-rootkit to scan a external hard drive for malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/malware-and-malwarebytes-beta-rootkit/87616022-f898-49ed-ad37-b5ab8ee7c27a
  3. Is MalwareByte Anti-Rootkit still a good tool?

Is MalwareByte Anti-Rootkit still a good tool?: MBAR is in beta status, and was last updated in 2017. My wife got some spam, and I want to do a rootkit scan, just in case. Norton security, Norton Power Eraser, and MalwareBytes anti-Malware all come up clean. 122311
  4. Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit

Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit: How to add an exclusions-list in Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit ? Program keeps finding the same items , which I have to exclude after every scan ! Would be much easier if we could add an exclusions-list............. Im sure more people are using this software , so appreciate...
  5. EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?

EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?: Just wondering what people are using for Windows 10? Apparently EMET can be easily exploited in Windows 10 and MB Anti exploit is recommended over it. Any opinions on this? Does the premium version of Anti exploit allow you to secure 3rd party apps as EMET is able to? 64470
  6. Malwarebytes Anti -Exploit

Malwarebytes Anti -Exploit: At the moment I'm using Bitdefender anti virus and Malwarebytes anti malware. Would it be advantageous to install the above program. I'm not sure I fully understand what this program is trying to do. I have read the description on their web site but I must admit it's a bit...
  7. Latest Version Malwarebytes Anti Exploit

Latest Version Malwarebytes Anti Exploit: Malwarebytes Anti Exploit Stand Alone Beta Latest beta version 1.12 Build 68 19 April 2018 ***Download page*** Protection: Protection against exploit-driven Process Hollowing attack Usability: Hypervisor Code Integrity (HVCI) Compliant Compatible with Windows...
  8. Latest Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Latest Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware: Latest Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware [img] Information BETA 8 Version: 0.9.17.661 Release Date: September 6th 2016 Information and Download: New version - BETA 8 - now available! - Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta - Malwarebytes Forums...
  9. Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta

Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta: Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta [img] For the last four years, ransomware has evolved into one of the biggest threats to cyber security that I’ve seen in a long time. Names like CryptoLocker, CryptoWall, and CTBLocker keep average computer users...
  10. Introducing the Outlook.com beta

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing the Outlook.com beta: Today, we’re launching the Outlook.com beta, an opt-in web experience where you can try out new product innovations and let us know what you think. Recent advances in programming, design, and artificial intelligence have enabled our engineers and designers to improve the...