Windows 10: Invalid File Name

Discus and support Invalid File Name in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, Sorry for my poor english. I have a SDHC 32GB card and I formated it to exFAT, because I need it for a file that is bigger than 4GB.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Adalwar, May 18, 2016.

1. Adalwar Win User

Invalid File Name

Hi all,
    Sorry for my poor english.

I have a SDHC 32GB card and I formated it to exFAT, because I need it for a file that is bigger than 4GB.
    Everything looks and run good, expect 2 files (my own) that I can´t open and read it, the App says "Invalid FIle Name".
    I can see it´s Properties with File Explorer, no problem there.
    I did re-format to it´s Original FAT32 format and I can read those files normally.
    To format to exFAT I used Windows, to format back to FAT32 I used SDFormater from SD-Org.
    I had a 64GB SDXC card, I formated it Windows and my Android did not recognise it.
    I spent 8h around this problem till I found that it was the SD Card format problem.
    Has it to do with Windows Format utility ?

:)

Adalwar, May 18, 2016

2. Invalid file name

What is the filename of the file you are right clicking on?

JustinRiley, May 18, 2016
  3. Invalid file name

I'm trying to make a file a picture since it's a video I made using the game bar, but when I try to click "add this folder to pictures" it tells me Invalid File Name.

FuzzySamurai23, May 18, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Invalid File Name

NTFS works good for me to copying files bigger than 4GB.

No third party program is needed. Just Right Click > Format and set the file system to NTFS.
    Invalid File Name [​IMG]
    Hope it will work.

5. Adalwar Win User
    Hi Arc,
    Thank you very much, NTFS is working.

I did some further research on the issue, using a SDXC 64GB, native format, on other PC and the problem still there.
    I found out that the problem is related to the Folder Name, it can not have Spaces on the name.
    It can be as long as I wish, but if there one Space on the name, there coming the error "Invalid File Name".
    So, there is a bug, either is my App to old and is not totally compatible with exFAT or there is a problem with exFAT itself.
    Thank you.

Adalwar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Invalid File Name

1. Invalid File Name - Similar Threads - Invalid File Name

2. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the directory name is invalid: after windows 10 install i get this message when i try to use my cd dvd playrt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/c926c407-ebdd-4730-91de-be27bec8ff9e
  3. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the directory name is invalid: after windows 10 install i get this message when i try to use my cd dvd playrt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/c926c407-ebdd-4730-91de-be27bec8ff9e
  4. "User Name is invalid"

in Windows 10 Customization
    "User Name is invalid": I'm trying to get the computer to execute a registry key I made to switch light mode back to dark mode upon boot. However, in order to change the settings of this task, it asks me for my password. I tried my password and a window pops up.I know my account name is valid. I...
  5. The Directory Name Is Invalid

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The Directory Name Is Invalid: Today I updated this laptop. Now all I see for the last 5 hours is this message: The directory name is invalid error message won't stop since I updated this PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. What do I have to clear or change or reset to get this to stop showing up,...
  6. OneDrive - Invalid File Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive - Invalid File Name: Hi All Recently I add new folders to me OneDrive location. Apperently one of sub folders name was invalid one for OneDrive. When I tried to change this folder name or delete it I'm getting error saying: “Could not find this item. This is no longer located in [Path]. Verify...
  7. The directory name is invalid ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The directory name is invalid ?: Does anyone know the solution for the error 'The directory name is invalid '? I get this error whenever I put a cd or dvd in the cd/dvd rom drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/ec110e94-85e6-470b-b771-45b5ff46e3cc
  8. file name is invalid

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file name is invalid: I have an older Asus laptop...several months ago after a windows 10 upgrade, I could only save files created in a Microsoft program (ie. Money, Word, Excel)....other programs (Open Office, Photoshop) would give me an error message "file name is invalid"...recently read a...
  9. The Directory Name Is Invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    The Directory Name Is Invalid: OK, here's my situation. I have a Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra external USB hard drive. I use this as a media drive on my WD TV Live Plus media player. For some unknown reason, the media player will sometimes corrupt files on the My Passport drive. The net effect is...
  10. directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    directory name is invalid: Hi I have just got this new desktop pc. After an update I am getting this annoying message, E:/ The directory name is invalid. I don't know what I have done. I did anything. I searched Google and found a post on this forum but I can't find the actual answer to the post. Just...