Windows 10: Invalid IP address via USB tether or Wi-Fi, IPv4 autoconfiguration

Discus and support Invalid IP address via USB tether or Wi-Fi, IPv4 autoconfiguration in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Gday, I've seen a few threads about this but most resolutions I've seen have been tried to no avail. So laptop has been connecting via USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aussie140, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Aussie140 Win User

Invalid IP address via USB tether or Wi-Fi, IPv4 autoconfiguration

Gday, I've seen a few threads about this but most resolutions I've seen have been tried to no avail.

So laptop has been connecting via USB tether(android phone) without issue until this week, and our other laptop still connects via that phone so no issue there.

Via USB tether the network that appears is called "Ethernet 2" or via Wi-Fi it's "My Hotspot", both, connected separately or together are both constantly "identifying" and both do not get fixed by Windows troubleshoot and return "could not fix, invalid IP address.

Both show an IPv4 Autoconfigured IP address of 169.254.x.x, we've tried Command Prompt ipconfig release and renew, disabling/enabling adapters, setting IPAutoconfigure value to 0 in Registry Edit, setting a static IP to 192.168.x.x, amongst others.

Does anyone have anything to suggest for a solution?

Your advice is appreciated in advance!

Thanks Invalid IP address via USB tether or Wi-Fi, IPv4 autoconfiguration :)

:)

Aussie140, Dec 14, 2016

2. Invalid IP configuration for wired ethernet on Windows 10

The above line says that you are not getting an IP address from your DHCP server. This could happen with a defective router. Switching it off and on again might fix the problem. Alternatively you could set a fixed IP address. What is your router's IP address?

Frederik Long, Dec 14, 2016
  3. Mobile hotspot is not sending internet access

The IPv4 address on the Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter # 2 card is not a valid IP address.

Open Command Prompt and type netsh wlan show wirelesscapabilities

Post the result.

franco d'esaro, Dec 14, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

You normally don't see APIPA addressing unless the node can't reach a DHCP server. Is the local WiFi access point providing DHCP? If not, it needs to be enabled or supplied. If so, you might want to try a wired connection between the device and the laptop just to see if it can get DHCP that way. Then you can start troubleshooting the wireless DHCP access (probably by visiting the WAP mfgr's forums or support site). What I find interesting about this is the failure with static IP assignment, unless you didn't also include the gateway address (usually 192.168.0.1) and addresses for DNS servers in the static configuration page (probably from your ISP).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: Last week's Current Branch cumulative update KB3201845 is said to cause problems with a network service that ties to DHCP on some Windows 10 PCs. It's supposed to be fixed by Tuesday's KB3206632. If you've applied the former but not the latter to the affected machine, applying the newer update may fix the problem all by itself.

EdTittel, Dec 14, 2016
  5. Solution:
    I found the solution for me. I had 169.254.x.x and also a static IP address simultaneously on the same NIC. That's really not possible or valid. I tried DHCP and then back to static and couldn't fix it. I ended up setting an IP address on that NIC 192.168.1.111 and then going to advanced and adding a second IP address 192.168.1.222 to have two IP addresses on the same NIC. This somehow pushed out the DHCP Autoconfiguration. I then set my NIC back to DHCP and that solved that issue. I then set my NIC back to a static IP address which is what I wanted in the end and it solved the double conundrum of DHCP and static simultaneously on the same NIC issue as well as DHCP not working properly by handing out an autoconfiguration IP address of 169.254.x.x on the same NIC. DHCP works now. Static works now.
    -miletx.com

miletx com, Dec 16, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Bizarre and unexpected, but very helpful. And a beautiful piece of inspired troubleshooting. Thanks for sharing.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 16, 2016
  7. Aussie140 Win User
    Gday Ed and Miletx

Will check both options and respond to assist anyone else with same issues.

Cheers

Aussie140, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Invalid IP address via USB tether or Wi-Fi, IPv4 autoconfiguration - Similar Threads - Invalid address via

2. Invalid IP address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid IP address: I’m getting message Local Area Network doesn’t have valid IP address. I’m on Win-7. Can someone give step by step instructions? I have found several suggestions but I’m not sure which to try and I don’t want to mess it up. Can you help? Thanks....
  3. Invalid IP address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid IP address: I’m getting message Local Area Network doesn’t have valid IP address. I’m on Win-7. Can someone give step by step instructions? I have found several suggestions but I’m not sure which to try and I don’t want to mess it up. Can you help? Thanks....
  4. Computer connected via Wi-Fi + USB tethering to tablet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer connected via Wi-Fi + USB tethering to tablet: Hello, I have a question. I have a PC connected via Wi-Fi to internet. On my desk I have a Samsung Galaxy s5e tablet, which I would like to have connected to internet. I know I can also connect it through Wi-Fi but I'm wondering whether it would be possible to connect it...
  5. USB tethering disables WI-fi adapter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB tethering disables WI-fi adapter: Standard hook up is wirelessly connect to an Epson vs230 Projector and then use usb tethering with an Android Phone for internet access. My wife is a teacher and has been using this setup for the last year and a half in her classroom. Coincidence or not, I did just install...
  6. wi-fi address

wi-fi address: Hello, How do I change my computers wi-fi address? Thanks. Ceejay https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-address/7e8546a1-a61c-4431-9b9f-a657ef8f3669
  7. Disable Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address?

Disable Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address?: All the IP addresses on my home network are static, so why does IPCONFIG /ALL show the following additional IP address on the same Ethernet adapter: Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address (169.254.221.46(Preferred)?...
  8. WiFi2 invalid ip address

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WiFi2 invalid ip address: Internet access requires a cmd prompt to open each time l restart laptop. I've tried netsh winsock, which works but has to be entered each time l restart. l've also done network reset and updated drivers and adaptors. Anymore ideas??...
  9. WiFi2 invalid ip address

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WiFi2 invalid ip address: Each time l start or restart my laptop l have to use the command promt netsh winsock and netsh int ip reset to access wifi. Is there a link to a permanent fix for this issue. All windows updates are up to date....
  10. Autoconfiguration ipv4 address

Autoconfiguration ipv4 address: I static an windows 10 pro pc IP address at my job and when I check command prompt, I still get Autoconfiguration ipv4 address 169.254.254.154 (preferred) showing instead of the IP address I assigned manually. is there a way to stop the Autoconfiguration ipv4 address?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to set up usb tethering not a valid ip configuration

2. android phone Invalid ip address usb tethering

3. android tethering windows 169.254

4. usb tethering invalid ip windows