Windows 10: Invalid MS-DOS Function

Discus and support Invalid MS-DOS Function in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Could somebody please help, I have various files throughout my hard drive which error "Invalid MS-DOS Function" if I try and move or delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DerrickHobson, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Invalid MS-DOS Function

Hello,

Could somebody please help, I have various files throughout my hard drive which error "Invalid MS-DOS Function" if I try and move or delete them however they "work" normally if I try and use them.

I ran a check disk which returned no errors.

I am feeling this may be a format job however I'd like to avoid that if possible ... any thoughts?

:)

DerrickHobson, Sep 6, 2015

2. invalid ms dos function

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

To assist you better, please answer the following questions:

1. What happens when you try to move or delete the files.

2. Do you receive any error message?

3. Is it specific to a particular file type?

Do get back to us with the response. We will be glad to assist you further.

Wungraileng Vashi, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    Invalid MS-DOS Function

You need to provide a clearer explanation of what you are trying to do that doesn't work.

- What are you trying to delete and where from?

- Are you using File Explorer to find the files you want to delete?

- Do you get an error message when you attempt to delete a file? If so, what is it?

Erdeslawe, Sep 6, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Invalid MS-DOS Function

Can you be more specific?

What files (provide a few examples), where are they located?
    How are you trying to move or delete them? Is it via File Explorer?

Ztruker, Sep 7, 2015
  5. The files are located all over my hard drive and are of various types.
    The 4 files on my desktop i tried to delete by selecting and pressing delete.
    The 4 files in a program we write I could not rename or delete 4 of the multitude of files in the folder.

I managed to fix all 8 files by re-installing the application (which has never had an issue on Windows 10) and then deleting it.
    I'm guessing there must be some corruption in the FAT

DerrickHobson, Sep 7, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    Um Windows does not use FAT as the drive format, it uses NTFS. You should not be getting any type of MS-Dos error, because MS-Dos went bye-bye with XP.

bro67, Sep 7, 2015
  7. Sorry, I didn't mean FAT as in how the drive is formatted ... just the section of the hard drive which contains the directory/file structures.

I know I should not be getting them, the problem is I am (well was) getting them and I need to find out why. Everything i found online kept talking about USB sticks on Windows 7 producing the same errors.

DerrickHobson, Sep 7, 2015
  8. Fafhrd Win User

Invalid MS-DOS Function

Fafhrd, Sep 25, 2015
  9. I am having a problem with deleting files in Windows 10, have been onto MS site but no good. The main problem is that I have some old Zip files I want to delete but just get the message Invalid MD-DOS function

NorfolkMike, Oct 25, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    Have you tried deleting it through command prompt? If it isn't working please post results of these 3 commands when entered in an elevated (run as administrator) cmd window (replacing "Path\Your File.zip" with the real path to the file).

del "C:\Path\Your File.zip"
    dir /x /a "C:\Path\Your File.zip"
    attrib "C:\Path\Your File.zip"

11. I am having the same problem. It's so frustrating! I cannot move, delete, rename. Always get this stupid Invalid MS DOS function.

g1o2r3a4z5d6, Oct 30, 2015
  12. Not true. You can format and use drives formatted in Fat and Fat 32. Its the default file format for small USB thumb drives etc. DOS is gone though in your current Windows versions, its been replaced with command shell. The error messages are likely part of backward compatibility. That's my guess anyway.

alphanumeric, Oct 30, 2015
  13. Invalid MS-DOS Function

nigelmercier, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Invalid MS-DOS Function

1. Invalid MS-DOS Function - Similar Threads - Invalid DOS Function

2. MS Dos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Dos: Now available MS Dos in windows 10 64 bit OS:Yes or No?See screenshoot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-dos/5c0232d2-d909-4a12-9db5-f74b0c38e274
  3. MS Dos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Dos: Now available MS Dos in windows 10 64 bit OS:Yes or No?See screenshoot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-dos/5c0232d2-d909-4a12-9db5-f74b0c38e274
  4. MS Dos

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Ms-DOS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ms-DOS: Using MS-DOS I want to create a list of the files on Drive D on my Windows 10 PC. I know how to do this for Drive C but when I added D: it would not accept. Can you please tell me the correct typing for the path. Thank you...
  6. invincible ms dos

in Windows 10 Customization
    invincible ms dos: I use a program running in a DOS window. As long as it ran under Windows 7, the right mouse button worked as Esc and the left mouse button as Enter in this dos-window. In the current version of Windows10 32bit it no longer works - is it possible to set it up? Thank you....
  7. Windows Explorer says Invalid MS-Dos function copying files from CD-ROM

Windows Explorer says Invalid MS-Dos function copying files from CD-ROM: I'm trying to read files from a CD-ROM that I wrote back in 2001. Windows Explorer failes to copy the files, with Invalid MS-DOS Function. Recovery software, like Recuva, copies the files but they are invalid. ie When I try to Open a .TIF Image Photos won't open it; Word...
  8. Fix Invalid MS-DOS Function file error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Invalid MS-DOS Function file error on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If when you try to move, delete, copy or rename files/folders in Windows 10 and you receive the Invalid MS-DOS Function error message, then this post […] This article Fix Invalid MS-DOS Function file error on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. MS-Dos

MS-Dos: How do you download MS-Dos.iso? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-dos/8fdefe74-ac15-4358-83b3-f8135c5fa4e2
  10. Invalid MS-DOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Invalid MS-DOS: Ive just done an update, and i can no longer delete anything or move anything on my desktop. So if i wanted to tidy up my desktop and put shortcuts into a folder i can no longer do this. I can no longer delete anything either. The message that comes up is invalid MS-DOS...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. invalid ms dos function