Windows 10: Invalid MS-DOS

Discus and support Invalid MS-DOS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ive just done an update, and i can no longer delete anything or move anything on my desktop. So if i wanted to tidy up my desktop and put shortcuts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by meg ryan, Nov 17, 2015.

1. meg ryan Win User

Invalid MS-DOS

Ive just done an update, and i can no longer delete anything or move anything on my desktop. So if i wanted to tidy up my desktop and put shortcuts into a folder i can no longer do this. I can no longer delete anything either. The message that comes up is invalid MS-DOS function. At the top of the box iit says 1 interrupted action.... I have no idea what this means as im not good with computer jargon. Can anyone help please. thank you

:)

meg ryan, Nov 17, 2015

2. invalid ms dos function

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

To assist you better, please answer the following questions:

1. What happens when you try to move or delete the files.

2. Do you receive any error message?

3. Is it specific to a particular file type?

Do get back to us with the response. We will be glad to assist you further.

Wungraileng Vashi, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    Invalid MS-DOS Function

You need to provide a clearer explanation of what you are trying to do that doesn't work.

- What are you trying to delete and where from?

- Are you using File Explorer to find the files you want to delete?

- Do you get an error message when you attempt to delete a file? If so, what is it?

Erdeslawe, Nov 17, 2015
  4. robgr Win User

Invalid MS-DOS

Is it just the desktop you're having this issue with, are locations folders without issue?
    Try booting to safe mode and see if a delete works and then boot as normal

robgr, Nov 17, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    There have been reports of this being due to read only being set.

Please Open an elevated command prompt then post the results of entering these:

attrib /d /s "%userprofile%\desktop\*"

and

dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop"

It should look something like this

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>attrib /d /s "%userprofile%\desktop\*" A C:\Users\nori\desktop\Panther\IE\diagerr.xml A C:\Users\nori\desktop\Panther\IE\diagwrn.xml A C:\Users\nori\desktop\Panther\IE\setupact.log A C:\Users\nori\desktop\Panther\IE\setuperr.log A C:\Users\nori\desktop\Panther\diagerr.xml A C:\Users\nori\desktop\Panther\diagwrn.xml C:\Users\nori\desktop\Panther\IE A C:\Users\nori\desktop\Panther\setupact.log A C:\Users\nori\desktop\Panther\setuperr.log SH C:\Users\nori\desktop\desktop.ini C:\Users\nori\desktop\Panther A HR C:\Users\nori\desktop\regedit.lnk C:\Windows\system32>dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop" Volume in drive C is Windows-vm2 Volume Serial Number is 6602-AFC4 Directory of C:\Users\nori\desktop 18/11/15 09:58 <DIR> . 18/11/15 09:58 <DIR> .. 13/11/15 12:27 434 desktop.ini 16/11/15 21:59 <DIR> Panther 18/11/15 09:58 1,419 regedit.lnk 2 File(s) 1,853 bytes 3 Dir(s) 11,403,689,984 bytes free C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] Please cut and paste the results here. When you have pasted them please press the # button (see below) to put code tags around to make it appear as in the box above. Otherwise your post might be rather long and unreadable if you have a lot of things on your desktop *Smile

Invalid MS-DOS [​IMG]

6. meg ryan Win User
    Hi 1x07 & Rob i have access to shortcuts they are opening fine.... as to 1x07 reply i will be a while ......

meg ryan, Nov 17, 2015
  7. meg ryan Win User
    I put in the first command and i got invalid switch-/d/s"c:\users\home\desktop|*"
    second i got : parameter format not correct ""c:\users\home\desktop""

i did put exactly as told

meg ryan, Nov 17, 2015
  8. meg ryan Win User

Invalid MS-DOS

Ive attached a screen print of result i hope!

meg ryan, Nov 17, 2015
  9. robgr Win User
    try copy & pasting it as it looks like you are missing some spaces

robgr, Nov 17, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    Correct. Code: attrib /d /s "%userprofile%\desktop\*" dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop"[/quote] The command prompt needs to be administrator as well as described in this link: Elevated Command Prompt - Open in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

11. meg ryan Win User
    ok the copy and pasting worked and there is tons of stuff that came up..... i know you wanted to see the results but is quite a lot of stuff....are you able to tell me what your looking for or no im going to have to print screen again? I cant highlight it and copy and paste unfortunately wont let me.....

meg ryan, Nov 17, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    You can select all the text by pressing ctrl and A keys at the same time, copy by pressing ctrl and C and paste it with ctrl and V.

You could open notepad and paste it into that and then save and upload the document as described here: Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Alternatively just pick the line from both the results of attrib and dir for something you can't delete and post that.

What is interesting is the name and attributes of one of the files you can't delete.

For example if the thing you can't delete is called regedit just upload these 2 lines in red...

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>attrib /d /s "%userprofile%\desktop\*" SH C:\Users\nori\desktop\desktop.ini A HR C:\Users\nori\desktop\regedit.lnk C:\Windows\system32>dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop" Volume in drive C is Windows-vm2 Volume Serial Number is 6602-AFC4 Directory of C:\Users\nori\desktop 18/11/15 09:58 <DIR> . 18/11/15 09:58 <DIR> .. 13/11/15 12:27 434 desktop.ini 16/11/15 21:59 <DIR> Panther 18/11/15 09:58 1,419 regedit.lnk 2 File(s) 1,853 bytes 3 Dir(s) 11,403,689,984 bytes free C:\Windows\system32>[/quote]

13. meg ryan Win User

Invalid MS-DOS

I cant delete them all i can use the shortcuts but i cant delete anything and ive also discovered that i cant delete anything inside a file in the desktop folder either! now this is scaring me as i need to delete lol ..... i will pick files that is not personal or revealing as i have businesses etc and see if it means anything.... have to do school run so it will be a bit later i can do this

meg ryan, Nov 17, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    It would only be the name you were revealing not the contents. Apart from the name (which may be invalid somehow) the interesting letters are here in this line:

A HR C:\Users\nori\desktop\regedit.lnk

The A, H, R mean Archive, Hidden and Read Only. Yours may be different.

You could also try to delete it from the same elevated command prompt - taking the same example: Code: del /f /a c:\Users\nori\desktop\regedit.lnk[/quote] Replacing the path in red with what you want to delete.

15. meg ryan Win User
    ok this was all the stuff that came up first :

C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\FirefoxPortableU.nsi
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\License.txt
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_DUTCH.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_ENGLISH.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_ENGLISHGB.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_FRENCH.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_GERMAN.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_HUNGARIAN.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_ITALIAN.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_JAPANESE.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_KOREAN.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_POLISH.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_PORTUGUESE.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_PORTUGUESEBR.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_RUSSIAN.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_SIMPCHINESE.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_SPANISH.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_SPANISHINTERNATIONAL.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\PortableApps.comLauncherLANG_TRADCHINESE.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\ReadINIStrWithDefault.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\Readme.txt
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\ReplaceInFileWithTextReplace.nsh
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\SetFileAttributesDirectoryNormal.nsh
    C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Help
    C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source
    C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\App
    C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Data
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.ini
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\help.html
    C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Other
    C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\App
    C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\Data
    C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\Docs
    C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable
    A C:\Users\Home\desktop\Tor Browser\Start Tor Browser.exe

After that it starts saying what is on my desktop this one i cant delete: C:\Users\Home\desktop\UW bits and pieces\Cashback bill August.png & another one C:\Users\Home\desktop\New Microsoft Word Document.doc i cant delete anything on my desktop nor what is in folders on my desktop im picking out stuff that that i dont mind the world seeing:

C:\Users\Home>dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop"
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is C4C5-CAFB - does that mean anything?

90,001 10446017_10152634914817261_6503346595168033412_n.jpg
    05-Mar-15 10:57 AM 157,001 11001606_781807658573976_4218382935503341619_o.jpg
    04-Aug-15 07:02 PM 74,298 11049649_10153097548367449_7487036709080399708_n.jpg
    18-May-15 09:03 AM 33,959 11201919_10205889345565089_3842473954037763033_n.jpg
    10-Aug-15 09:36 AM 56,866 11817217_1172013119490763_7311893396328677083_n.jpg
    12-Nov-14 09:10 PM 203,156 1456746_597374830367408_1861631489138766950_n.png - cant delete them

I saw alot of <DIR> on the second list - mean anything?

meg ryan, Nov 17, 2015
Thema:

Invalid MS-DOS

1. Invalid MS-DOS - Similar Threads - Invalid DOS

2. I got the message "the Appx packages manifest is invalid" what is this and how do i fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I got the message "the Appx packages manifest is invalid" what is this and how do i fix: I got the message "the Appx packages manifest is invalid" what is this and how do i fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-the-message-the-appx-packages-manifest-is/96d2b0d7-69ed-4b5b-92c1-53d93eb59cb3
  3. I got the message "the Appx packages manifest is invalid" what is this and how do i fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I got the message "the Appx packages manifest is invalid" what is this and how do i fix: I got the message "the Appx packages manifest is invalid" what is this and how do i fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-the-message-the-appx-packages-manifest-is/96d2b0d7-69ed-4b5b-92c1-53d93eb59cb3
  4. BSOD Crash when using Bluetooth PAN to connect to phone. Get invalid mdl range error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Crash when using Bluetooth PAN to connect to phone. Get invalid mdl range error: On a Surface Pro 7+ running the latest version available of Windows 11. EVERY TIME I connect to a phone via BT PAN I get the BSOD error 'Invalid MDL Range'. I've reset all network adapters, updated all drivers via windows update and intel. Seems like the exact same issue...
  5. BSOD Crash when using Bluetooth PAN to connect to phone. Get invalid mdl range error

BSOD Crash when using Bluetooth PAN to connect to phone. Get invalid mdl range error: On a Surface Pro 7+ running the latest version available of Windows 11. EVERY TIME I connect to a phone via BT PAN I get the BSOD error 'Invalid MDL Range'. I've reset all network adapters, updated all drivers via windows update and intel. Seems like the exact same issue...
  6. Why am I getting the message: Invalid Backend requested. Exiting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I getting the message: Invalid Backend requested. Exiting?: I have never had this issue before. I was looking to play Fortnite on my pc and when I got to open up the Epic launcher that's when I get the message. Before this I had been able to play Fortnite no issue. I had also downloaded, updated, and shut down my pc before I came back...
  7. Why am I getting the message: Invalid Backend requested. Exiting?

Why am I getting the message: Invalid Backend requested. Exiting?: I have never had this issue before. I was looking to play Fortnite on my pc and when I got to open up the Epic launcher that's when I get the message. Before this I had been able to play Fortnite no issue. I had also downloaded, updated, and shut down my pc before I came back...
  8. Windows Explorer says Invalid MS-Dos function copying files from CD-ROM

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer says Invalid MS-Dos function copying files from CD-ROM: I'm trying to read files from a CD-ROM that I wrote back in 2001. Windows Explorer failes to copy the files, with Invalid MS-DOS Function. Recovery software, like Recuva, copies the files but they are invalid. ie When I try to Open a .TIF Image Photos won't open it; Word...
  9. Fix Invalid MS-DOS Function file error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Invalid MS-DOS Function file error on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If when you try to move, delete, copy or rename files/folders in Windows 10 and you receive the Invalid MS-DOS Function error message, then this post […] This article Fix Invalid MS-DOS Function file error on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Invalid MS-DOS Function

in Windows 10 Support
    Invalid MS-DOS Function: Hello, Could somebody please help, I have various files throughout my hard drive which error "Invalid MS-DOS Function" if I try and move or delete them however they "work" normally if I try and use them. I ran a check disk which returned no errors. I am feeling this...