Windows 10: Invalid Password

Discus and support Invalid Password in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I apologize because this is a long-distance, 2nd party, problem. My daughter, a software professional for over 30 years (as am I, having been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ARYLIOA, Jun 8, 2017.

1. ARYLIOA Win User

Invalid Password

I apologize because this is a long-distance, 2nd party, problem. My daughter, a software professional for over 30 years (as am I, having been everything from a coder to a systems architect since the '60s) called last night and is at the point of smashing her new Dell. Literally! I cannot be certain of what is happening because of distance and a bit of hysteria, but this is the gist of what she says:

She defers updates. (I am trying to tell her that "Resistance is futile!", but....)

At some point, she gets locked out of the computer with it refusing to let her sign in until she applies the deferred updates. She gets to the login page and is repeatedly told the password is invalid.

Has anyone else experienced this? I sure would like to know if this is happening to others, just to assure myself that it is a reality and also to determine if it is not due to some other sort of pilot error.

Windows 10 is beyond authoritarian, being essentially totalitarian, but it appears we are going to have to live with it for better or worse. Unfortunately for her, the apple didn't fall far from the tree, as you might see if you look at my other posts. Most of the problems for which I have posted still exist after 2 years, but I have adapted (and dual boot my four "mature" computers with W7*Smile just-in-case).

:)

ARYLIOA, Jun 8, 2017

2. Can't login after upgrading to Window 10

I try to login on to my laptop using my password but I keep getting a message saying "invalid password". Then it gives me the account.live.com website to reset my password. I reset the password and it still is saying the password is invalid. I need help
    ASAP.

AdrienneNash, Jun 8, 2017
  3. Invalid password

The problem is often caused either by the CapsLock key or by the keyboard layout. If more than one keyboard map is available, then the layout at logon time might differ from the layout at runtime. Typing the password while pretending that you have a US-type
    keyboard usually helps.

Frederik Long, Jun 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Invalid Password

Hi, just for information, could you advise the build your daughter has been using to date (e.g. 14393.xxxx - the Anniversary edition), and confirm that she had the bottom setting selected:

Invalid Password [​IMG]

- which delays the application of the next build upgrade (currently the Creator's build)?

(To have that setting available she must be using Win 10 Pro- certainly not Home).

So far I have seen one instance where someone who had that set for a good many months, and then, using build 1511 'the November build' suddenly recently had the Anniversary build download. (not the Creator's).

That is in line with MS's policy where defer means 'for a few months'.

Password
    Does she see a 'Reset Password' option?

I'm afraid I'm no expert on that, though.

My personal approach is
    1. Maintain a disk image set to recover my PC and data even if my PC is stolen or my disk fails
    2. Have updates set to notify me. This means no unexpected downloads or restarts.
    3. Defer feature updates - set to delay the upgrade to the next major build, and let me do that manually
    - so I download the iso, create a bootable medium, have time to update my disk image, manually upgrade and test.

I guess I would be happy with uncontrolled updates from MS, except sometimes they cause problems, and sometimes change the way things work unexpectedly. Plus unexpected restarts are completely unacceptable.

MS has given this more thought and made changes in the Creator's build.

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  5. ARYLIOA Win User
    Thanks for responding. I will check on Home vs Pro. But what really set her off last night was that when the updates did start, it was to install the Creator's Update. It tied up her computer for several hours when she had work to do.

She may be deferring them by checking the metered connection option. I have an acquaintance who claims he does that. I will see if I can find that out, too.

I, too, keep semi-monthly full-drive images for 3 months just in case a "sleeper" shows up. The 1st on one network drive, the 15th on another. Probably over kill, but any backup at all is..... until you need it.

ARYLIOA, Jun 8, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    that would block all updates- including Windows Defender automatic updates (if used).

Except- that with the CU, critical updates will be delivered automatically even over a metered connection.
    Whether that applies to the CU upgrade, I don't definitively know.

There are (at last) several changes with respect to control of updates in the CU.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Invalid Password

1. Invalid Password - Similar Threads - Invalid Password

2. Password is correct but the laptop but says it is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password is correct but the laptop but says it is invalid: Ive been trying to connect to my laptop however the password I used is not working with the account. I know 100% that this is the password and I checked multiple times that there were no errors in typing the password I even tried using the eye to make sure it was correct too....
  3. Password is correct but the laptop but says it is invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password is correct but the laptop but says it is invalid: Ive been trying to connect to my laptop however the password I used is not working with the account. I know 100% that this is the password and I checked multiple times that there were no errors in typing the password I even tried using the eye to make sure it was correct too....
  4. Password is correct but the laptop but says it is invalid

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Email Server says "invalid user name or password"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Email Server says "invalid user name or password": For some unkown reason my email server finds my password for pop3 in my account no longer valid so I'm unable to download email to my pc. I didn't change it, I can't see it, and don't remember what it is, which at this point probably doesn't matter, so I need to reset it but...
  6. Email Server says "invalid user name or password"

Email Server says "invalid user name or password": For some unkown reason my email server finds my password for pop3 in my account no longer valid so I'm unable to download email to my pc. I didn't change it, I can't see it, and don't remember what it is, which at this point probably doesn't matter, so I need to reset it but...
  7. Email Server says "invalid user name or password"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Invalid username/password when logging into Windows 10 but not when using "Other user"

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Invalid username/password when logging into Windows 10 but not when using "Other user": Hi all,I have a user that is experiencing this issue where they put in their correct credentials on the login screen that already has their user profile saved as the default login but they get "Invalid username/error." However, when they try to login under "Other user" and...
  9. Invalid username/password when logging into Windows 10 but not when using "Other user"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid username/password when logging into Windows 10 but not when using "Other user": Hi all,I have a user that is experiencing this issue where they put in their correct credentials on the login screen that already has their user profile saved as the default login but they get "Invalid username/error." However, when they try to login under "Other user" and...
  10. Invalid username/password when logging into Windows 10 but not when using "Other user"