Windows 10: Invisible overlay not allowing to click

Discus and support Invisible overlay not allowing to click in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, For over 2 weeks now I seem to be having an issue whereby after some time of using the PC I cannot interact with any programs, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tjeros, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Tjeros Win User

Invisible overlay not allowing to click

Hi there,

For over 2 weeks now I seem to be having an issue whereby after some time of using the PC I cannot interact with any programs, the desktop, icons in a 'square' region at the bottom left of the screen, right above the taskbar and below the topmost icons.

I've tried closing down different programs - to no avail. However, the issue goes away for a while when restarting explorer.exe.
    Here's a video:
    [youtube]r0ruSleWKTw[/youtube]

:)

Tjeros, Jun 21, 2017
  2. Dredel Win User

Taskbar does not work as expected

Original title: SWTOR in Windows 10

playingSWTOR and found the taskbar is an invisible overlay on game in fullscreen mode. constant reverting to Desktop out of game by clicking on bottom of screen. anyone know how to solve this

Dredel, Jun 21, 2017
  3. nokia 5800??

Hi aban

Although initially more expensive I would always recommend either Martin Fields overlay or Zagg Invisible Shield which won't deteriorate in use. In answer to your question without a screen overlay it is inevitable that device will pick up a few minor scratches,
    but it rather depends upon whether you intend selling the phone on at a future date.

scoobyman---01, Jun 21, 2017
  4. MyaP10 Win User

My guess would be maybe a registry problem of some sort or maybe malware of some kind.
    Have you tried scanning for both?

Another idea, probably stupid but worth thinking about, could you have a problem with the connectivity of the mouse?

MyaP10, Jun 22, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    That's strange, but what I can conclude after watching the video is that yes, there is some interference that causes whatever is "active" to become inactive, like an invisible window that opens itself and making itself as the active window instead.

What I'd do is try to open the Task Manager (Control+Shift+Escape) and go to Details.
    Order that list by Name.
    Press View > Update speed > High

Now sit the and look at it sections at a time, and see if you can catch anything new that pops up in the list (that also disappears very quickly too? I'm assuming its a program that opens and closes very quickly)
    This is just an idea.

(A solution that is very unlikely, yet could work at a slight chance)
    Go to: Programs and Features
    Uninstall everything that you don't use anymore. Restart the computer and see if that bug is still there.

pepanee, Jun 22, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I watched it carefully too. What struck me was that the inactive area seems to be the exact size and shape as the Start menu (also apparently inactive?) which appears at 1:07.

This may be a clue that a setting for the Start menu has become corrupted. Try changing some settings that affect Start's size and shape, then set them back again. That may restore proper functionality. I'd try 'Show more tiles on Start' and 'Use Start full screen' in Settings > Personalisation > Start

Another thing to try would be to create another user account and see if this behaves properly. The Start menu settings are part of the user profile, if you can't get it to work in one user profile but it does in all others then it may be that your user profile is corrupt. You may need to create yourself a new account to use.

7. pepanee Win User
    You right Bree. I can totally see what you mean by the thing at 1:07. Very good eyes/and analysis.
    I only skipped through the video a few times when I watched it earlier =P

So yes, like Bree said, it is very likely that it is a bug in the Start Menu. Follow what she said above, and see if that works out for you.

pepanee, Jun 22, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

*Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/members/br...boutme#aboutme

9. pepanee Win User
    Oh my God, I'm so sorry! I've always thought otherwise, because I thought your profile name was short for Breanne =)
    Woops!

"Follow what he said..." =D

pepanee, Jun 22, 2017
  10. Hydrate Win User
    What I find interesting is how you explain when explorer.exe is killed and restarted, the issue stops for a little while. Can you tell me how long a little while is?

Exporer.exe is responsible for displaying Windows and controls via WinAPI. It is also responsible for the Start Menu. You may have potentially a broken/corrupt explorer.exe and especially after attempting what @Bree explains, we can draw a potential cause.

It may also be malware too, since we have not assessed for that either.

All Windows accounts call to the same explorer.exe located in Code: C:\%systemroot%\explorer.exe[/quote] To reiterate:
    Definitely need to check the integrity of Explorer.EXE and for potential malware. After completing the above replies from Bree and pepanee please let us know! I am growing curious.

Hydrate, Jun 22, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    I wasn't aware of that abbreviation when I chose it *Doh

Good points. I am getting curious too - subscribed and awaiting further test results...

12. Tjeros Win User
    Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely try out the methods you've all mentioned and then post the results here.

Now, I felt the need to post this, because the issue has not yet re-occurred and when it will again -- remains to be seen. That might take a while, so I would like to apologise in advance if I don't post anything here for what could be several days or more.

P.S.
    - I posted this thread right after this issue happened, however, about a day earlier, it had occurred as well. Now though it hasn't occurred since I posted.

Tjeros, Jun 25, 2017
  13. pepanee Win User

That's good news, so far, then!

Hopefully it was just some minor bug that Microsoft spotted and released some hidden update that fixed it. Let's just hope it doesn't happen anymore.

Yet if it ever happens again (hopefully doesn't), then we'll hear back from you.

pepanee, Jun 25, 2017
  14. Hydrate Win User
    Definitely let us know what occurs and if it occurs again, meanwhile, please run this command Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] in an elevated command prompt or PowerShell and post back results please.

Invisible overlay not allowing to click [​IMG]

We cannot have such wishful thinking, it creates more issues. Trust me buddy, I learned the hard way.

Hydrate, Jun 28, 2017
  15. This is probably completely unrelated, but I had a similar problems while running Unlocker (Cedrick Collomb's Unlocker, not the IObit Unlocker) to delete several thousands of .con files. This makes no sense to me, but it seemed like it was repeatedly invoking something that didn't display anything long enough for me to notice but was stealing focus each time. Even though I could move the cursor around I was effectively locked out of my PC for over an hour. I had to do this on 2 PCs with the same effect on both.

pokeefe0001, Jun 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Invisible overlay not allowing to click - Similar Threads - Invisible overlay allowing

2. Overlay App That You Can Click Though?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overlay App That You Can Click Though?: I want a app where its a picture and then I can click though it? Does anyone know this certain app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overlay-app-that-you-can-click-though/5811bd18-85ce-47a6-a3aa-7cb086795479
  3. Overlay App That You Can Click Though?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overlay App That You Can Click Though?: I want a app where its a picture and then I can click though it? Does anyone know this certain app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overlay-app-that-you-can-click-though/5811bd18-85ce-47a6-a3aa-7cb086795479
  4. Overlay App That You Can Click Though?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to click - Invisible overlay above everything

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to click - Invisible overlay above everything: It seems that sometimes there is an invisible window on everything above the taskbar, however this overlay appears only on top of items that were not in full screen mode. For example if I am watching Netflix, on full screen the Netflix window works fine, however the minimize,...
  6. Unable to click - Invisible overlay above everything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to click - Invisible overlay above everything: It seems that sometimes there is an invisible window on everything above the taskbar, however this overlay appears only on top of items that were not in full screen mode. For example if I am watching Netflix, on full screen the Netflix window works fine, however the minimize,...
  7. PC Overlay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Overlay: This box showed up on my windows 10 gaming PC recently. I'm not sure why and I can not get it to go away! I've tried a few keyboard shortcuts and none of them worked. I've also restarted my PC multiple times and it's still there. How do I get it off the screen?? [ATTACH]...
  8. [Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour: Hi ! I've been having some trouble with Windows 10 lately. I'm running on Windows 10 Pro version 1903, OS version 18362.778. Proc : Intel COR i5-9400f Several times per day, seemingly at random, an global invisible overlay appears and prevents me on clicking on anything...
  9. Overlaying music

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overlaying music: How do I overlay music in HD Movie Maker Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overlaying-music/414cfdfd-cb5e-4aa6-ba36-9078d88cff5f
  10. overlay

in Windows 10 Customization
    overlay: its actually two questions I just bought a new comp it cam with win 1o don't like it can I install 8 or 7 over it 2. I thought micro came out with a fix just to change windows 10 desk top back to the old style <Moved from Windows Insider forum>...