Windows 10: Irritating little icon glitch

Discus and support Irritating little icon glitch in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; On my start menu, the tiled part, all my icons have the same blue background, except Firefox and Thunderbird which are butt ugly gray. Chrome was also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by wreckwriter, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Irritating little icon glitch

On my start menu, the tiled part, all my icons have the same blue background, except Firefox and Thunderbird which are butt ugly gray. Chrome was also gray but I managed to change it by renaming chrome.VisualElementsManifest.xml to chrome.VisualElementsManifest.xml.bk and reselecting the icon. Cannot find similar files for the 2 Mozilla programs. Just changing icon does nothing (it does change the icon but retains gray background).

Also tried a utility from Windows Club designed for this purpose but it can't touch these 2 icons.

Ideas?

:)

wreckwriter, Jan 23, 2016

2. I cant watch videos after Windows 10 was installed

Hello....I installed it from going to the little windows icon I have a HP 2000 NOTEBOOK 8.1...I've used both edge and explorer neither works...I don't get any error messages... The screen just is green or glitches or skips... I've become irritated I've already
    had help from 5 techs they haven't solved my problem yet...and I believe a tech updated the drivers yesterday and still nothing..

LaDawnDawnny, Jan 23, 2016
  3. Windows 10... shutdown/sleep/etc..

I bought a new desktop computer with Windows *.1 in May and was upgraded last week to Windows 10. Problem I have is that when I click on the Windows logo 'start' icon to go into 'power' to either 'sleep' or shut down', it goes through the motions and either
    shuts down or goes to sleep .... for about 5 seconds, then starts up again. When I immediately go through the process again it does what I want, shuts down or goes to sleep. This is seriously irritating 'cause the computer is brand new and the OS Windows 10
    is brand new, is there something I'm doing wrong or is this an annoying little glitch that I have to live with ? Otherwise, brilliant !

Rolebo2000, Jan 23, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Irritating little icon glitch

I can't help you, as I'm just learning to personalize tiles manually, but I will post two forum members names, with mentions, that possibly can, as this is there area of expertise.
    Let's see who gets here first, and shine the Bat light::
    Calling @Edwin and @Hopachi

Irritating little icon glitch [​IMG]

Cliff S, Jan 23, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
  6. Hopachi Win User
    Hopachi, Jan 23, 2016
  7. Hopachi Win User
    Not sure if they use a tile but that's possible.
    Do you have a screenshot of Firefox and Thunderbird icons?

In case of the VisualElementsManifest.xml, don't rename it: you can edit it and change the background color:
    Code: BackgroundColor="#123456"[/quote]
    Color in hexadecimal notation. Save the xml.
    Un-pin and re-pin the program.

Hopachi, Jan 23, 2016
  8. Irritating little icon glitch

Excellent idea. Unfortunately, there's this caveat:

"Also this method doesn't work for Mozilla Firefox web browser as Firefox registers itself as a "dual-mode" web browser and Windows handles web browsers differently. That's why even if you put a visualelementsmanifest.xml file inside Firefox folder, it gets ignored by Windows."

Appears to apply to Mozilla Thunderbird too. I don't have time to try recreating icons in Photoshop just now, got 2 feet of snow to dig out, but will put it on the todo list.

9. Hopachi Win User
    I only have Firefox Dev Edition but it's also grey.
    Must be somehow automatically generated; I don't see Firefox as dual mode, must have ignored something after the install a while ago.
    Will give it a try.

Hopachi, Jan 23, 2016
  10. Not a big deal, just irritating.

11. Hopachi Win User
    All other tiles are blue? I guess from the theme color?

Hopachi, Jan 23, 2016
  12. Correct. Just Firefox and Thunderbird remain gray.

13. Cliff S New Member

I have just created a tile for Firefox and have no problem getting the background color close, I could have exactly matched it if I took the time though.

firefox tile pack.zip

Try downloading SMACC, the link is in my signature, for a tool that gives you the RGB where you click the mouse, then go to RGB color (255, 128, 0) to Hex, Pantone, RAL, HSL, HSV, HSB, JSON. Get color scheme. to get the HEX value after entering the RGB value.

Cliff S, Jan 23, 2016
  14. Hopachi Win User
    It seems the color isn't generated automatically: the grey is forced somewhere, don't know where. Everyone is affected by this. Alt least fresh installs of Firefox 43.
    What I did is test with a fresh install of Firefox 43.

Cliff,
    Nice work, however it doesn't want to apply the custom tile. It repins grey. *Think
    Checked with a copy of the firefox.exe from desktop and pin it to start and auto color of icon tile is yellowish, blue, the theme color:

Confirmed that the grey is forced.

So far, nothing to do for the matter.

Hopachi, Jan 23, 2016
  15. Cliff S New Member
    You might have to check in the start menu folder(right click icon and more>>open file location and delete the old shortcut so the new tile can take over. C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Cliff S, Jan 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Irritating little icon glitch - Similar Threads - Irritating little icon

2. Icon glitch on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon glitch on Windows 11: My device is always removing icons on the taskbar and replacing the usual icons on Windows Explorer files with this low quality document outline image. And when I restarted Windows Explorer, the icons I keep on it go away too! The only way I can fix this is by restarting the...
  3. little icons in the corner of my apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    little icons in the corner of my apps?: ever since i downloaded windows 11, i noticed these little icons in the corners of my apps and folders, its a green checkmark, red x mark, and brown box thing, now i assume thats normal since it came with windows 11, but i recently noticed that they changed to icons of other...
  4. little icons in the corner of my apps?

little icons in the corner of my apps?: ever since i downloaded windows 11, i noticed these little icons in the corners of my apps and folders, its a green checkmark, red x mark, and brown box thing, now i assume thats normal since it came with windows 11, but i recently noticed that they changed to icons of other...
  5. Task bar icons glitch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task bar icons glitch: How to fix this task bar icons glitch. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-icons-glitch/227c8761-eac0-4adb-9900-bfddbd9ff435
  6. Task bar icons glitch

Task bar icons glitch: How to fix this task bar icons glitch. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-icons-glitch/227c8761-eac0-4adb-9900-bfddbd9ff435
  7. Desktop icon glitch?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icon glitch?: Today i turned on my computer and i was greeted with a really weird glitch. My icons keep moving around. They start off the normal place they usually are then they jumble up then go back then jumble back up and so on. At the same time of this happening, my computer is almost...
  8. Windows icon glitch

Windows icon glitch: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/guqa2c7a9h251.png?width=316&format=png&auto=webp&s=f930b76688c6646ba8a00b1905dbfe94d46b7474 submitted by /u/Vendetta_47 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gv563z/windows_icon_glitch/
  9. Little logos on desktop icons

Little logos on desktop icons: I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I'll get little logos on my desktop icons. I've seen a green check mark, gray X, two people, and a red circle with a white minus in the middle. I don't have any backup software or anything cloud related from what I can tell. I...
  10. The little battery icon on the taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    The little battery icon on the taskbar: The little battery icon on the taskbar disappeard. how do i get it back?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/the-little-battery-icon-on-the-taskbar/ed0b7fd4-931c-4ebd-9fa7-3614da56b954