Windows 10: IRST with new SSD

Discus and support IRST with new SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am getting ready to install a new SSD in my Dell XPS SE 8700. The current configuration of the OS drive is a 1TB. spinner with a 32 GB MSATA cache... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Datapod, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Datapod Win User

IRST with new SSD

I am getting ready to install a new SSD in my Dell XPS SE 8700. The current configuration of the OS drive is a 1TB. spinner with a 32 GB MSATA cache drive which is managed with Intel Rapid Store Technology, (IRST)

I will be using Paragon "Migrate OS to SSD" to put my OS drive on the new SSD. I've done this before on previous systems and it's pretty much a no brainer.

After the "migration" I intend to remove both the 1TB spinner OS drive and the MSATA cache drive.

My question is how to handle the IRST software. Should I leave it alone, disable it just before the physical swap or uninstall it completely?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

D

:)

Datapod, Apr 6, 2016
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 6, 2016
  3. System may run extremely slow due to high system resource usage

There are some laptop configurations that might use hybrid drive configurations (SSD+HDD) and will benefit from the management, performance and optimization functions IRST provides.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 6, 2016
  4. IRST with new SSD

Are you running the SSD in AHCI/RAID or IDE, I didn't think IRST could see the drive in AHCI, so based on my experience, swap the drive, once you're booted up into Windows, if IRST can see the drive, then all is well but as I've found previously, IRST throws a horrible error and I just remove it *Smile

MattWinSlayer, Apr 6, 2016
  5. Datapod Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

If you mean the current 30GB MSATA SSD it's in a RAID0 configuration accelerating the The C:\ spinner.

I don't have the New SSD yet if that's what you meant. It's in transit from Crucial.

D

Datapod, Apr 6, 2016
  6. Datapod Win User
    FWIW I asked @ Intel's chipset forum and received the following response.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of
    Hello ,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

In this case you will need to stop acceleration and then click on reset to available, after that you can start the migration, you don’t need to uninstall the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software.

Please bear in mind that cache is used to accelerate mechanical hard drives and not SSDs.

Best wishes,

Ivan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm good to go. Hope this answer will be helpful to others...

D

Datapod, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

IRST with new SSD

1. IRST with new SSD - Similar Threads - IRST SSD

2. win11installer can't find raid 0 disk if IRST is on in bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win11installer can't find raid 0 disk if IRST is on in bios: Trying to install windows 11 on a pair of Samsung 870 QVO 1TB in Raid 0.Install is fine and will complete fully if i turn IRST Intel Rapid Storage Technology of in bios and install to one of the disks. But when IRST is turned on i can see the disks in biosboth with and...
  3. win11installer can't find raid 0 disk if IRST is on in bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win11installer can't find raid 0 disk if IRST is on in bios: Trying to install windows 11 on a pair of Samsung 870 QVO 1TB in Raid 0.Install is fine and will complete fully if i turn IRST Intel Rapid Storage Technology of in bios and install to one of the disks. But when IRST is turned on i can see the disks in biosboth with and...
  4. Regarding IRST AND WINDOWS

Regarding IRST AND WINDOWS: I just enabled IRST and set my both the drives in RAIDbut i was not able to acess the software for my ssd SMASUNG MAGICIANfor Samsung 980 pro i turned it off and windows gave me bsod Boot drive not available not eactly but somewhat like thisso is there way to turn it off...
  5. Regarding IRST AND WINDOWS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regarding IRST AND WINDOWS: I just enabled IRST and set my both the drives in RAIDbut i was not able to acess the software for my ssd SMASUNG MAGICIANfor Samsung 980 pro i turned it off and windows gave me bsod Boot drive not available not eactly but somewhat like thisso is there way to turn it off...
  6. IRST driver problem reinstalling win10 from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IRST driver problem reinstalling win10 from USB: My laptop has a windows license written on the motherboard. I had switched to linux and now I'm switching back to Win10. When I boot from the win10 USB https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO, it tells me I'm missing a driver. Previously I switched back...
  7. IRST driver problem reinstalling win10 from USB

IRST driver problem reinstalling win10 from USB: My laptop has a windows license written on the motherboard. I had switched to linux and now I'm switching back to Win10. When I boot from the win10 USB https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO, it tells me I'm missing a driver. Previously I switched back...
  8. IRST driver problem reinstalling win10 from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Intel IRST Drivers - Outdated? Windows update installed the wrong version?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel IRST Drivers - Outdated? Windows update installed the wrong version?: Hello! My computer is giving the famous blue screen of death, but not always, only when it is on suspension mode. Rare event - happens every 7-10 days or so... So in a hope to fix this problem, I'm trying to update all my drivers. I'm having some trouble with the IRST...
  10. W10 Install put Bootfiles on the SSD that I wanted to use for IRST

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Install put Bootfiles on the SSD that I wanted to use for IRST: The Windows 10 Installer put Bootfiles on the SSD that I wanted to use for Intel Rapid Storage Technology's Intel Smart Response Technology, you know the one where you can boost a regular hard drive with an SSD as a 60GB cache. It always worked well for me and was cheaper...