Windows 10: is 2GB RAM enough?

Discus and support is 2GB RAM enough? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was going to install Windows 10 on an old Pentium Dual Core PC with 2GB RAM, currently running Windows 7. Is it best to upgrade the RAM to 4GB first?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mccririck, May 29, 2015.

1. mccririck Win User

is 2GB RAM enough?

I was going to install Windows 10 on an old Pentium Dual Core PC with 2GB RAM, currently running Windows 7. Is it best to upgrade the RAM to 4GB first?

:)

mccririck, May 29, 2015
  2. Gigabits Win User

Windows 10 with RAM

I have 6 gigabytes of ram and windows 8.1 uses 2gb, leaving me with 4 gb. If I upgrade to windows 10 will it take 2 more gigabytes of ram leaving me with only 2gb of ram total? If I upgrade will I be
    left with 4gb or 2gb of RAM?

Gigabits, May 29, 2015
  3. How to migrate/Install from Windows 10 64-bit to Windows 10 32-bit

Yeah, Windows 10 64-Bit on 2GB RAM becomes sluggish sometimes, as the minimum requirement for it is also 2GB RAM.

Anmol_Arya, May 29, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

is 2GB RAM enough?

It should work fine.. but more RAM is always better.

BunnyJ, May 29, 2015
  5. I ran 10 in a VM with only 2GB of RAM and it runs fine for basic things

If you try and open more than 2 or 3 apps at the same time it gets a bit slow

paulsalter, May 29, 2015
  6. That old of a PC might not run Windows 10 at all, so you'd better try it first, and worry about ram later.*

* I too have an old PC here, that accepted Windows 7, x86, but all later OS's refuse to install.

But on my test PC's, the most ram I have on any of them is 2GB. So YES, Windows 10 will run with just 2GB of RAM.

Happy Testing!

*Cool

TechnoMage, May 29, 2015
  7. bordi Win User
    Here are the Windows 10 system requirements, as provided by Microsoft:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Free hard disk space: 16 GB.

So I dug up an old laptop that was gathering dust: EI Systems 1212 with 1GB ram, 1.73 GHz and 120GB hard drive.

It installed fine, a bit slow but 1gb of ram what do we expect.

bordi, May 29, 2015
  8. LMiller7 Win User

is 2GB RAM enough?

Windows 8 and later have some CPU requirements above those for Windows 7. There are some systems that run Windows 7 with no problems that fail on later systems. The numbers are quite small but they do exist.

Whether 2 GB RAM is enough depends entirely on what applications you run and your expectations. While 2 GB RAM exceeds the minimum requirements for a 32 bit OS it will not provide optimum performance. This will be particularly noticeable when running multiple or demanding applications. Only older or undemanding games are likely to run satisfactorily. The fact that the CPU and other components are old only compounds the problem.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

is 2GB RAM enough?

1. is 2GB RAM enough? - Similar Threads - 2GB RAM enough

2. RAM=16GB,USED RAM=2GB,RAM USAGE 50%?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAM=16GB,USED RAM=2GB,RAM USAGE 50%?: I hope you can understand my problem from the title, but let me explain a bit further.I'm no genius when it comes to computers, but this feels weird.Yes, i've tried to search a solution, but what seems most reasonable is a hardware problem so before i take it to an expert i'd...
  3. RAM=16GB,USED RAM=2GB,RAM USAGE 50%?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAM=16GB,USED RAM=2GB,RAM USAGE 50%?: I hope you can understand my problem from the title, but let me explain a bit further.I'm no genius when it comes to computers, but this feels weird.Yes, i've tried to search a solution, but what seems most reasonable is a hardware problem so before i take it to an expert i'd...
  4. Not enough RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not enough RAM: I have had my pc for a few months and I just started having this problem. Whenever I'm playing a game or have a bunch of chrome tabs open, I'll get an error that says something along the lines of, "not enough memory." I don't know why this would happen because it only says...
  5. Only 2gb of 6gb ram is usable.

Only 2gb of 6gb ram is usable.: I have 6gb ddr3 ram 4+2 installed on my pc. I think I remember the properties showing about5.6gb usable ram. Suddenly today I booted my pc and found out mygames were struggling to load properly. Then I found out system properties page was showing4gb of 6gb ram usable. Then I...
  6. GameDVR needs 2GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GameDVR needs 2GB RAM?: I'm overall very satisfied with the gamebar and the ability to record. I really like how less performance impact background recording has when I play games (I lose just 1-2 FPS). However, in task manager I noticed that it needs nearly 2 gigabyte RAM/MEMORY. is this normal or...
  7. 8gb ram installed 2gb ram usable

8gb ram installed 2gb ram usable: i just used the recovery option in my pc and it seems that windows doesn't use all my ram i tried going to ms config and then boot setting but didn't work any other fix??...
  8. EtwB Utilizing ~2GB of RAM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    EtwB Utilizing ~2GB of RAM: Hello, I am experiencing an issue on my laptop where the Event Tracking for Windows (EtwB) is utilizing an excessive amount of memory. I have attached screenshots of both task manager's memory usage, task manager's list of running programming sorted by working memory, and a...
  9. RAM - Missing 2GB of active RAM

RAM - Missing 2GB of active RAM: So I am running Win10 Home 64-bit. Recently noticed that of the 16gb ram installed (4x4) only 14gb shows up in windows. So I bought 2x8gb sticks to upgrade - now have 24gb (2x4 and 2x8) but again only 22gb is showing up in windows. I have cheeked the BIOS says that I...
  10. 32bit vs 64bit with 2GB of ram

in Windows 10 Support
    32bit vs 64bit with 2GB of ram: So, I know the min-specs (1GB&2GB) for 32bit and 64bit Windows 10. What I'm wondering is: Am I better off installing the 32bit version of windows 10 if I have only 2GB of ram? That way I'm above the min-spec of 1GB, whereas if I install the 64bit version I'm only JUST...