Windows 10: Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ

Discus and support Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks Not sure what these settings are really telling me but the router says that the 5 GHZ band is performing nearly 10X better than the 2.4 GHZ... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Sep 27, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ

Hi folks

Not sure what these settings are really telling me but the router says that the 5 GHZ band is performing nearly 10X better than the 2.4 GHZ band.

Is this really true --

Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ [​IMG]

Not sure what some of these figures mean -- I don't have any problems with wifi or LAN speed though.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 27, 2016
  2. Shenan Stanley, Sep 27, 2016
  3. CianP Win User
    Store error

Thanks Roy, but just one last question, how do I switch between a 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz?

CianP, Sep 27, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

If it's a ac type router it can in theory reach 3gigs if the receiver is also ac that's the speed from PC to router not to anything else

Samuria, Sep 27, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    Good Router by the Looks ...and the device connected at 1.3g ,

on 2.4ghz I'd guess you have an older device only capable of 150mb max.

Most LAN connections get 1000mb /1GB these days though..... unless those two pc's are sleeping then the nic may have downclocked the link speed to 100mb for WOL etc. ( if not then you may need better Cables if they are 1GB Nics)

Kbird, Sep 27, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Thanks

the two NICS in use are a SKY Q silver box (surprised as I thought on it's LAN card it would do the fast speed - however SKY Q also uses its own internal 5GHZ wifi mesh network for distributing programs to the 2 SKY Q miniboxes I have and the 100 mb LAN is only used for control and "Glue" for the mesh network so it's more than fast enough and a Google chromecast device with Ethernet adaptor into the router with its own cable --both these devices I suspect won't be able to use fast LAN .

For the rest I'm happy with the 5GHZ wifi -- no contention unlike 2.4 GHZ where sometimes you need to switch channels to get a decent signal --we can use ch 13 but some devices won't connect on ch 13 so if you use that channel be aware that if you are using devices made say in USA or other places where ch 13 not allowed or not available choose another less used channel.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 28, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    I am using both 2.4 & 5 on my AP. My devices all use 5Ghz and both sets of channels.

bro67, Sep 28, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

??????

Not sure what the point of your post is here.

Your post a) doesn't impart ANY information to the thread
    b) doesn't even begin to answer any of the queries I had
    c) just says also that you must be a "Lucky Boy" to have all brand new equipment.

A lot of OLDER / Legacy equipment won't receive 5GHZ as they don't have a 5GHZ receiver - even if your wifi handles it.
    The only way you can "poodlefake" 5GHZ on legacy equipment is to actually use a Wifi-->Ethernet (actually Ethernet-->wifi) bridge so the legacy equipment thinks it's using a LAN but the connection to the ISP is via a 5GHZ wifi link.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 28, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    *Smile that is a new one on me ...."poodlefake"

Lots of stuff can interfere with 2.4ghz , even the trusty old microwave , so it is worth looking for a better channel if you have old devices and connection issues ....lots of free Apps for Wifi Sniffing these days for that sort of thing.

My C7 router doesn't support Channel width on 5ghz but does on 2,4ghz (20+40mhz) and with some devices it can almost double the speed on 40mhz, assuming the older device can also do it of course.

KB.

Kbird, Sep 28, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Jimbo for Legacy equipment I am using my older Engenius ECB350 that is only 2.4Ghz for Wireless-b/g/n with 20/40 channel bandwidth. If I was to have another SSID for legacy equipment on the Engenius EAP750H that is the new one. It gets so hot, that you start smelling it baking. That is why I only use that one for Wireless-n/ac 2.4/5 and the other for the older stuff like our Thermostat and our Brother Laser Printer.

Lucky is not the factor. Still able to get the $200 a month technology allowance from the wife to use and that the newer gear has started to come down in price, even further when the NextGen comes out. We are going to start seeing the older 2.4 gear drop down to rock bottom prices or just be taken off of the market all together.

bro67, Sep 28, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Kbird

I remember a long time ago when I was studying Engineering in the UK at Imperial College I did some part time work for some "dodgy" antique dealers -- they explained "Poodlefaking" was doing things like French Polishing / Polyurethaning etc over cracks etc to make the antiques look good and "auction Ready" !!!!. Somehow the name stuck !!! I think they got it from how people used to prepare Dogs for Crufts Dog's show etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 29, 2016
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think this is probably about the max you can get with 5GHZ wireless when transferring large files via Wifi.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 30, 2016
  13. Saltgrass Win User

I think you are just seeing the advertised speed of the Router. If you have one which did 5.3 Gbps it would probably show that speed and I have to assume that is for multiple connections. What actual speed a file will transfer with depends on several things so it is hard to use that number as a measure.

On my systems, one shows 392 Mbps and the other shows 867 Mbps on the 5 G connection. Both show 144 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz connection.

Saltgrass, Sep 30, 2016
  14. My speed varies with 1 wall between router and Surface Pro 3. It does peak at 40 MB/s for a split, but IMO not bad for a WiFi connection.

Here's my full internet speed via WiFi BTW:

theveterans, Oct 1, 2016
  15. Adalwar Win User
    @ theveterans:
    The 37MB/s does not correspond to 866Mbps connection.
    Somehow, for to have 37MB/s , you must be using a 1,4G adapter, probably Ethernet rather WiFI.

Adalwar, Oct 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ - Similar Threads - 5GHZ really faster

2. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  3. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  4. Window 7 is faster than Window 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window 7 is faster than Window 10: Hi ,I have three pc of all 4 GB RAM two with window 7 and one with ten .Both pc of window 7 have too many heavy software still they both are very fast.But pc with window 10 is quite slow and also sometime hang also it has no heavy software....
  5. Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X

in Windows 10 News
    Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X: Based on the new benchmarks, we can confidently say that Apple M1 processor is impressive and it currently runs Windows 10 faster than the processor that ships with Microsoft’s Surface Pro X lineup. Apple’s ARM-based M1 processor is currently available in the MacBook and Mac...
  6. how to swap from 5ghz to 2.4 ghz

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to swap from 5ghz to 2.4 ghz: trying to change my wifi connection from 5 ghz to 2.4 ghz so that i can connect lights to my phone via wifi/bluetooth. in need of assistance on how to swap between the two. any advice is helpful....
  7. 5Ghz Band is slower than my 2 Ghz Band Also high ping on 5Ghz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    5Ghz Band is slower than my 2 Ghz Band Also high ping on 5Ghz: I have a problem: I have a good Wifi Router and 100Mbps download and 10Mbps upload on all my devices ecpect my windows pc. A few weeks ago I had 100 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload on my 5ghz network ... but now I have 50 Mbps download and a unstable ping in games. When...
  8. How to know if drive A (SSD) is really faster than drive B (NVME)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to know if drive A (SSD) is really faster than drive B (NVME): Hi, I've got 2 inertnal SSD hard drives being used as part of my music studio, where I'm trying to get the quickest load/read times possible. These drives are not being written to - just read. Upon loading audio samples into my digital instruments, I'm not sure if I can tell...
  9. Windows 7 is faster than Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 is faster than Windows 10: Hello Please guide me. Some users say Windows 7 is faster than Windows 10. What do you think? Thankful poneh_co https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-is-faster-than-windows-10/8bc63f96-38ea-4cc6-a929-6f9c2348d50d
  10. Is Chrome Really Faster Now

in Browsers and Email
    Is Chrome Really Faster Now: I wonder why MS even put it in Windows 10?? Because there are many proprietary Share Point Server functions that ONLY work in IE and only designed to work there, and no other browser. Many companies use Share Point in their internal networks and depend on both IE and Share...