Windows 10: Is a Windows 10 upgrade safe/worth it on an old system, for gaming?

Discus and support Is a Windows 10 upgrade safe/worth it on an old system, for gaming? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, I currently have Windows 7, and I've never had issues with it in particular. I'm wondering if upgrading to Windows 10 would be safe or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by raprap100, Jul 29, 2015.

1. raprap100 Win User

Is a Windows 10 upgrade safe/worth it on an old system, for gaming?

Greetings,

I currently have Windows 7, and I've never had issues with it in particular.

I'm wondering if upgrading to Windows 10 would be safe or worth it with the following system;

It's a Gateway DX4831-01C (link below), I've had it for about 5~6 years.
    Gateway DX4831-01C Desktop i3 2.93GHz 6GB 1TB DVDRW - CowBoom.com

Basic specs;

CPU: Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93GHz
    RAM: 6GB DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI HD4350 512mb
    HDD: 1TB

Is it likely to cause issues with older systems? Will there be compatibility issues? Will it significantly boost my performance for gaming, with such specs?

:)

raprap100, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Marusik Win User

Windows 10 upgrade worth it for an old PC?

Well, if spending endless hours after upgrading from Win 7 (64-bit) while dealing with so many issues, such as "no start menu" functionality, and later "blank/black screen", added to the cost of a new HD, which I inferred it was due to the numerous time
    I had to boot and re-boot my PC following some idiotic-tech advice, I would say no, it's not worth my valuable time to have such a miserable experience, unless you are a "geek", who I'm not. As my wife wisely put it: "only an idiot tries to fix something that
    it's working just fine".

Thank you Microsoft for making my life even more complicated...

Marusik, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Jlgreen93 Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade worth it for an old PC?

Thanks for your reply. I'm not on win 8 on this computer, it's running win 7. Still compatible / worth it?

Where do I find the info pertaining to the graphics device and CPU you reference above?

JG

Jlgreen93, Jul 29, 2015
  4. cokest4r Win User

It's up to you personally, the system requirements are the same as windows 7 and I've found it to use about the same amount of memory (of course I am comparing 10 pro to 7 ultimate) if you're unsure you could always wait a couple of weeks. or create a system recovery of your windows 7 and run the upgrade. if you don't like it you can revert.

cokest4r, Jul 29, 2015
  5. IF one wants to take advantage of DX12 and the games that will come that will use DX12, yes, but only if one
    has the card capable of DX12 . Yours is not.

How it would run on your system is a unknown, nobody out here could predict.

I"m not sure why you bring up gaming in context with that hardware as it can't be considered a gaming rig by any stretch.
    Light/moderate demand gaming I suppose.

I'd probably stick with WIn 7 since you didn't take advantage of testing it during preview cycle.
    If you do so now, you risk tossing 99 bucks out the window (pun intended) if Win10 doesn't like your hardware.

I will say the preview copy of Win10 runs fine on my test machine which is a older
    2009ish era mobo and cpu, ABIT mobo w 8500 E core 2 duo and 4GB RAM.

I did stuff a spare GTX970 I had laying around collecting dust in it though.

Back up important data to another drive and give it a go if you must.
    The machine I list above isnn't one either, by todays standards or those of the past 4 years.
    Other than the fact I stuck a OP GPU in it for giggles.

DurkaDurkaDurka, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is a Windows 10 upgrade safe/worth it on an old system, for gaming? - Similar Threads - upgrade safe worth

2. 3080Ti - upgrade worth it?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    3080Ti - upgrade worth it?: Hi, there! I have the RTX 3080Ti and use 1440p. I think that 3080Ti is weak nowadays. It isn’t high-end GPU already. So I wonder when I upgrade to 4080, if the performance increase will be mind-blowing? I read some reviews and everything going to 30% better performance than...
  3. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 10?: I am still thinking whether to upgrade because I have used Windows 10 for years and I have gotten used to it so I don't feel like upgrading to Windows 11 yet. Also, Microsoft will still support Windows 10 until 14th October 2025. What are your thoughts?...
  4. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 10?: I am still thinking whether to upgrade because I have used Windows 10 for years and I have gotten used to it so I don't feel like upgrading to Windows 11 yet. Also, Microsoft will still support Windows 10 until 14th October 2025. What are your thoughts?...
  5. Worth optimizing regedit for gaming?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Worth optimizing regedit for gaming?: Is it worth changing some values in regedit/registry to "optimize" windows for gaming? As well as disabling certain stuff such as dvr etc... You know all those videos with optimizing packs and stuff submitted by /u/krisstijan [link] [comments]...
  6. Is game mode worth it?

Is game mode worth it?: I saw in a video to turn off game mode and I saw in another video to turn on game mode. In this point in time, is game mode worth it? submitted by /u/Cherry-Character [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/luzeqd/is_game_mode_worth_it/
  7. Memory upgrade - worth it?

Memory upgrade - worth it?: I’ve a Dell Latitude 5490 with 8GB of RAM. This has an Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated graphics card which uses the main RAM for it’s memory. The 8GB is using one of the 2 DDR4 2400 slots. I’m running this on two displays - a 4K monitor and the built-in Full HD LCD display....
  8. Windows 10 Pro - Is the upgrade worth the $100????

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro - Is the upgrade worth the $100????: My laptop which started as Win7 and I upgraded to win10 and then Win10 Pro died. I just bought a new laptop which came with Win10 Home. Is it worth the $100 to upgrade to Pro? Is BitLocker worth it?...
  9. Is Windows 10 worth trying for games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Windows 10 worth trying for games?: Honest question: is it worth updating to windows 10 now? is the difference noticeable? I have windows 8.1 and tried windows 10 a couple of months ago and i thought it was complete garbage, forced updates, crashing starting menu, it felt unresponsive compared to windows 8.1,...
  10. Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?: I have Windows 10 Home version. It continually fails to install the 1511 upgrade. I have already spent lots of time on this and am concerned that successfully upgrading will require an inordinate amount of time and effort. An HP support person told me that it is not...