Windows 10: Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Discus and support Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Some people were saying that even Microsoft programs were being blocked from making changes to protected folders, but I'm not finding that to be the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ground Sloth, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Some people were saying that even Microsoft programs were being blocked from making changes to protected folders, but I'm not finding that to be the case at all. It has blocked some programs from making changes, but they were all somewhat lesser known third-party programs.

Ground Sloth, Apr 16, 2018

2. Once you turn on the Controlled Folders, you will need to reboot to put it totally in effect. Then you will see what it does. If you rebooted already, then maybe I didn't need to add the few I did, like explorer.exe and notepad.exe etc.

Access Denied, Apr 16, 2018
  3. I've rebooted twice now. I wonder why on some computers it's acting crazy and blocking just about everything from making changes.

Ground Sloth, Apr 16, 2018
  4. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Not sure, I just can't be asked to reboot when an install needs access for a folder its protecting. Adding an exception I could deal with and wouldn't mind.

Access Denied, Apr 16, 2018
  5. I tried it on three computers. Same kind of results. Programs get blocked. From Dropbox to game save files. It became a pain to add each and every one as an exception, so I just turned it back off. It should be as easy as if the user installs something either prompt them to add to the exceptions, or just give an easy way to add it during blocking. Like instead of just the notification that it was blocked also have a button to click to allow. Sort of like UAC. It's too much of a pain to get the notification, and then have to go manually find it, and add it.

Bobby Phoenix, Apr 16, 2018
  6. Kol12 Win User
    Mine doesn't show the whole path which is frustrating...

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access? [​IMG]

Kol12, Apr 16, 2018
  7. Kol12 Win User
    Excellent idea! *092

Kol12, Apr 16, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Then open the Event Viewer and look for Event ID 1123 in...Applications and Service Logs / Microsoft / Windows / Windows Defender / Operational...you'll find the full path there.

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access? [​IMG]

Thema:

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

1. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access? - Similar Threads - anyone using Defender

2. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  3. Microsoft Defender Control Folder Access Threat History:

Microsoft Defender Control Folder Access Threat History:: Why doesn't Microsoft simply add a "DELETE" button to threats listings in Control Folder Access Threats History and even on the Antivirus Threat History Listings. Why do we have to click on start actions now and do this or that to delete the threats found and clear out the...
  4. Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32: Hey there, am I the only one having issues with Defender’s Controller Folder Access? The feature works as intended but my problem is it’s blocking System32 tasks. I saw posts from more than a year ago but no reports of this issue recently. Things blocked by CFA:...
  5. Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off

Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off: Conrolled folder access turns it self off when i click it to turn it on. i need help [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-controlled-folder-access-turn-off/67e73935-1c11-4e63-b5b3-6be93eebe7b2
  6. Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access: When I'm trying to save a file in a portable application, I'm getting an error that the file couldn't be found. Based on my searching, I've found that it's a problem with "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security (new update renamed Windows Defender I guess). I was just...
  7. Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions: I just recently started using Windows Defender as my antivirus software expired and I was looking for another option other than paying for another program. I don't totally understand how to use it and reading thru tutorials is somewhat foreign to me so please understand my...
  8. cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender

cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender: [img] 104282
  9. Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert

Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert: Fall Creators Update 1709 introduced a new 'Controlled Folder Access' function in Defender. This is off by default, but I have turned it on to test it. I've had to allow a couple of apps access (VLC was one) but other than that it seem unobtrusive. However, very...
  10. About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...

About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...: Although not that important, I noticed that when you open Winders Defender, and then click on Virus and threat protection settings, and then scroll down to controlled folder access,.. It states, " Protect your files and folders from unauthorized CHANGED by unfriendly...