Windows 10: Is Automatic Download, but On Demand Update, possible?

Discus and support Is Automatic Download, but On Demand Update, possible? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am a well educated, but not particularly tech savvy, PC user of many years, but have been frustrated with Windows update issues for some time now, in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kokinoman, Dec 21, 2016.

1. kokinoman Win User

Is Automatic Download, but On Demand Update, possible?

I am a well educated, but not particularly tech savvy, PC user of many years, but have been frustrated with Windows update issues for some time now, in respect of which I have looked at this forum for a solution, but been unable to find one.

Whenever I receive updates, the process finishes with the PC restarting automatically, and the following things always happen................

1) I lose all of the tabs that I had open in any Browsers at the time
    2) All Word, and Excel, documents in Microsoft Office that are open, close, and have to be recovered from 'Unsaved Files' - some of the files show a date, in the recovery pane, of 10/01/1601 00:00 (whatever that is supposed to mean!)

This is most annoying, and time consuming, especially with the Browser closures, as I often cannot recall the details of all of the previously open tabs.

However, usually when my PC 'locks' itself, and I have to hard reboot it, I am offered the option in my Chrome browser to reinstate closed tabs, so why can this not be applied to all Windows updates, in a similar manner?

Alternatively, in previous operating systems, I seem to recall that I was able to select a facility, whereby I was presented with the option of delaying updates, in order to continue working with my open documents, until I chose to save them properly, or close them as appropriate - I believe that this automatically Downloaded any updates, but did not Update, until manually instructed to do so.

Is this facility available buried somewhere within Windows 10, or is it simply not possible, without turning updates off altogether, which is not good management?

:)

kokinoman, Dec 21, 2016

2. Files on demand seemed so promising but did not work for me

When receiveing the update including Files on demand late last fall, I thought this would be a much better way of managing my files stored in OneDrive, than manualy set wich folders to sync to/show on my different devices. It did not turn out so.

First CPU usage went up. With Files on Demand, File Explorer would typically use 30 percent CPU. (File Explorer has steadily increased in CPU-usage the last year, by the way. Realy something to look out for, Microsoft...)

Then 99 percent of my image folders stopped showing any prewievs of the the first image inside. I never found out what made those very few folders show prewievs. The images inside could be light blue, light green or deep green.

File explorer got noticable slower when opening image folders and showing prewievs (I handle tens of thousand of images every day...).

I found and still find the system of light blue, light green and deep green skies very confusing.

When downloading a folder with images from a site, I did not get access to it at once. Instead it seemed like OneDrive/File Explorer first uploaded it to OneDrive, before giving me the possibility to re-download it to my device. This solution if my observations
    are corret, is just plain stupid.

Finaly I never got all folders to sync properly. However many times i right clicked a folder and set it to allways show on my computer, some of the images in that folder would remain light blue and thus online only.

My primary device is a Surface Pro 3.

Stein Erik Paulsen, Dec 21, 2016
  3. Automatic download update, automatic reboot with error failure, forced restart, automatic download update, automatic reboot, failure ... in an endless loop

I'll try.

So much trouble for that update my mum has issue too with his owncomputer, I now have to buy a flash drive and make all these manipulations.

All this instead of a button do you want to upgrade yes or no.

I'll let you know I use my computer to render vfx sequences during days now my computer restart every 30 minutes. I can't use it normally thanks to that update i loose time and money.

Thanks microsoft.

JulienRomeo, Dec 21, 2016
  4. Is Automatic Download, but On Demand Update, possible?

Matthew Wai, Dec 21, 2016
  5. kokinoman Win User
    Hi Mathew,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I have followed your link as above, and can see only 5 Options.

I presume that you are referring to Option One, instructions section 6, which seems to be applicable.

Unfortunately, I have Windows 10 Home Edition.

Under 'To Enable or Disable Automatic Updates using Group Policy - a note reads"This option is not available and will not work in Windows 10 Home. Microsoft has prevented disabling automatic updates in the Home edition"

I have tried to 'Open the Local Group Policy Editor.' as per Option One, Section 1, of the instructions, which returns the screen message ......

Is Automatic Download, but On Demand Update, possible? [​IMG]

I seem to be unable to follow this routine, unless I am doing something wrong of coutse!

An further suggestions please?

Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

kokinoman, Dec 21, 2016
  6. Fortunately, I have Windows 10 Home Edition too, and I have used this option to disable auto-update and use VBScript to make it automatically check for updates and just notify me when updates are available, as mentioned in this post.

7. Bree New Member
    I have Home. Like Mathew, I set my connection set as metered. I'm not sure why Mathew needs his vbscript, I still seem to get notifications that 'updates are available but there was a problem downloading them'. Usually though I don't wait long enough to see them, I check for updates myself in Settings/Update & security. I only get the notification if I've not done so for a while.

The one downside of a metered connection is that Defender no longer automatically updates its definitions. You need to do that yourself, there's an Update tab in Defender where you can do that. If you leave it too long Defender will notify you that it needs to be done.

8. Is Automatic Download, but On Demand Update, possible?

Because the VBScript, run by Task Scheduler, will automatically do the following for me and notify me only when updates are available.
    I need not do that myself because I have another VBScript scheduled to update definitions every six hours.

Also, the first VBScript can automatically update definitions too, but only once a day.

9. CountMike New Member
    Can't you just set "Active hours" to your liking so it will do it only after them ?

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is Automatic Download, but On Demand Update, possible?

1. Is Automatic Download, but On Demand Update, possible? - Similar Threads - Automatic Download Demand

2. Not a question, a demand: STOP AUTOMATICALLY UPDATING MY W-10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not a question, a demand: STOP AUTOMATICALLY UPDATING MY W-10: I have read the questions by W-10 users and answers by Microsoft. Regardless of turning off ‘Auto Updates’ , Microsoft continues the updates under the umbrella of ‘Fixes’ or ‘security issues’ when in really Microsoft includes updates to tracking the user better, forcing the...
  3. Not a question, a demand: STOP AUTOMATICALLY UPDATING MY W-10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not a question, a demand: STOP AUTOMATICALLY UPDATING MY W-10: I have read the questions by W-10 users and answers by Microsoft. Regardless of turning off ‘Auto Updates’ , Microsoft continues the updates under the umbrella of ‘Fixes’ or ‘security issues’ when in really Microsoft includes updates to tracking the user better, forcing the...
  4. Not a question, a demand: STOP AUTOMATICALLY UPDATING MY W-10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Microsoft Updates/Upgrade Demands

Microsoft Updates/Upgrade Demands: Today, I went into my computer and it said I had no internet. My ISP and modem was fine. So, I restarted my computer. During that restart, I got an ask from Microsoft to upgrade my Windows. I declined, logged in and there was my internet connection. This happens often and I'm...
  6. automatic update files download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    automatic update files download: I have limited data on my satellite internet service of 40GB. When MS downloads the almost monthly update files, it uses 25% of my monthly allotment. I have a free download period during the early morning and want to do the download at that time.This is costing my around $20...
  7. automatic update files download

automatic update files download: I have limited data on my satellite internet service of 40GB. When MS downloads the almost monthly update files, it uses 25% of my monthly allotment. I have a free download period during the early morning and want to do the download at that time.This is costing my around $20...
  8. automatic update files download

9. Activating Intel Turbo Boost on demand possible ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Activating Intel Turbo Boost on demand possible ?: I have an Intel i7-4510U based laptop that I use to encode 4K videos on over night . According to specs this thing CPU can operate at 2.0 GHz as base speed and 3.1 GHz as max turbo speed . If I game on this laptop , monitoring utilities shows the CPU to be working at 2.8...
  10. windows update 'Automatically Download Updates'

windows update 'Automatically Download Updates': In settings-wndows update-advanced options. When I try to select 'Automatically Download Updates' the slider just returns to the off position. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-automatically-download-updates/0e0f6b58-f8b6-4f22-abf2-4e27b8d2e120