Windows 10: Is clean installing OS destroys HDD?

Discus and support Is clean installing OS destroys HDD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I'm just wondering if clean installing OS destroys Laptop. Clean installing like 5 times in just single month. Don't ask for the reason why I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Load, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Load Win User

Is clean installing OS destroys HDD?

Hi there, I'm just wondering if clean installing OS destroys Laptop. Clean installing like 5 times in just single month. Don't ask for the reason why I clean install, just answer my question *Smile

:)

Load, Jun 7, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Why Does Microsoft Want To Ruin My Computers With Their Updates

Since your computer is destroyed ... can I have it? I mean, if it's destroyed then you're probably not using it, so perhaps you can send it to me? It is destroyed, after all, so it's really useless.

Why would I want it? Oh, I don't know ... I guess I could clean it up ... clean install ... and use it as a tricked out monitor stand.

BulldogXX, Jun 7, 2016
  3. WIN10 Falls Creator Update broke my HDD?

It can happen.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that the upgrade destroyed the drive to the point that the BIOS wouldn't see it... Everything is just reading/writing to the drive, that is all installing an upgrade, an OS, a program, copying pictures, playing music, playing videos,
    etc. does to a drive. So, if upgrading the OS destroyed your second drive - it was going to die anyway.

Shenan Stanley, Jun 7, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I've done several clean installs and I never had it destroy the SSD/HDD,, so the answer is no. You should be fine.

HTH
    And have a nice day
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Jun 7, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

HDD's and SSD's are designed as READ/WRITE devices --wouldn't be of much use if they weren't !!!!!.

Re-installing the OS or even re-formatting Disks should have no more effects than simply using HDD's with typical programs. Actually there's probably LESS HDD usage on re-installing the OS than running something like Photoshop on a large professional print with a load of layers.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 7, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Clean installing the OS is no different that opening a document and saving it a couple times before while working on it. Or saving a big document/project tens or hundreds of times during production. The only difference is the files that are being written over.

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2016
  7. badrobot Win User
    It's not gonna affect anything (except the lifespan of HDD I guess). It's just a complete waste of time. Learn about image backup and restore. You will save more than half the time than doing a clean install.
    Search about "Macrium Reflect Image backup/ restore" on Youtube.

badrobot, Jun 7, 2016
  8. Load Win User

Thank you mates, i'm just a bit worried hahaha. And I don't like messy files so everything I've finish expirementing my laptop I clean install it. haha. Also the reason why I always clean install is that I install windows 7 on my windows 10 laptop however drivers aren't compatible and its so hard to find the compatible one, also it bluescreen sometimes so I just install windows 10 again.

Load, Jun 8, 2016
  9. badrobot Win User
    Again, image backup/ restore will be an easier solution.

badrobot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is clean installing OS destroys HDD? - Similar Threads - clean installing destroys

2. Clean install of windows 11 on SSD current OS on HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install of windows 11 on SSD current OS on HDD: I am planing to install a SSD in my laptop, which already has HDD. laptop support SSD and HDD together. The currest OS on the HDD and i want to do a fresh install on the SSD, Please can anyone write a step by step guide on what to do, i am not confident on this....
  3. Clean install of windows 11 on SSD current OS on HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install of windows 11 on SSD current OS on HDD: I am planing to install a SSD in my laptop, which already has HDD. laptop support SSD and HDD together. The currest OS on the HDD and i want to do a fresh install on the SSD, Please can anyone write a step by step guide on what to do, i am not confident on this....
  4. How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?: How to delete old HDD OS. Used to have my windows on a HDD and Cleaned Installed on a new M.2. I'm ok with losing the files of the old HDD windows but I partitioned drive that has 500mb of storage that I cant delete.I have a new MoBo and Processor that has m.2. I clean...
  5. How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?: How to delete old HDD OS. Used to have my windows on a HDD and Cleaned Installed on a new M.2. I'm ok with losing the files of the old HDD windows but I partitioned drive that has 500mb of storage that I cant delete.I have a new MoBo and Processor that has m.2. I clean...
  6. How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.: current setup: hdd running 1903 primary boot target: 1909 upgrade/clean install on ssd then primary boot 1903 still bootable on hdd secondary/backup boot in case of failures of any kind. how would i manage that without an optical which is being replaced by a tray caddy...
  8. W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

W10 OS Clean Install on SSD: I'm currently wanting to install a 120GB SSD into my PC. 1) What I want to know is, will the OS on the HDD conflict with the one on the SSD after I do a clean install on it, and make it the boot disc? All I want to use it for is the OS and the games I'm playing the...
  9. Clean Install of OS

Clean Install of OS: I have a Dell PC that is running very slowly on W10 After all usual stuff, clearing junk, defrag etc., still not good enough - as its currently on an old HDD, going to install an SSD for the OS. Been advised to do a clean install rather than clone across an OS that might...
  10. Clean install on a HDD with multiple partitions

Clean install on a HDD with multiple partitions: I want to re install windows 10 on my laptop [img] How can I keep my D: and E: partitions? Do i just delete the other 4 including C: where windows is installed and make a new 1 and install windows there? 111289