Windows 10: Is cloning Hidden partitions from HDD to SSD necessary?

Discus and support Is cloning Hidden partitions from HDD to SSD necessary? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys. I have a one-TB HDD on my laptop and want to replace it by a 240-GB SSD and there are some questions about hidden partitions and other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Omidz 10, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Omidz 10 Win User

Is cloning Hidden partitions from HDD to SSD necessary?

Hi guys.
    I have a one-TB HDD on my laptop and want to replace it by a 240-GB SSD and there are some questions about hidden partitions and other things. First of all in Macrium reflect, I see that there are some hidden partitions which I don't know what they are. The first question, should I select these hidden partitions for cloning to SSD beside the windows partiton? The second question, the windows partition has 415-GB capacity and it is larger than my SSD, should the entire partition be smaller than the SSD or just the amount of used space? in case if I need to shrink windows partition before cloning. Also there is a 25-Gb recovery partition which is not hidden and I want to know if I should select it for cloning too. You can see the screenshot of my Macrium below.

Is cloning Hidden partitions from HDD to SSD necessary? [​IMG]

:)

Omidz 10, Dec 13, 2016

2. Cannot access recovery partition

Mike's an Asus..... Anyways I did go into asus recovery and tried the same thing..... It says the partition is missing...... The problem is I installed an ssd on my own and cloned it from my hdd.... The recovery partition is still in my hdd but the os
    is in my ssd.... So I guess it's not accessing my recovery partition Cuz I just cloned the os.....

KarthickBalaji16, Dec 13, 2016
  3. Remove Recovery Partition and Go to Recovery Drive During HDD to SSD Upgrade

Thank you Sangeeta,

"delete the recovery partition as part of the cloning of the HDD to the SSD" The meaning of this quote is as follows:

The recovery partition on the HDD will NOT be copied onto the SSD. This differs from most other data on the HDD which will be copied over onto the SSD. The word cloning is used because the emphasis is on having a functioning system on the SSD that truly
    mimics the system that ran on the HDD. Just as a biological clone is the creation of an identical organism with the same behavior.

The specific SSD I have is a Samsung 850 EVO with 250 GB capacity. It comes with migration software. Further study on my part discovered the following from the migration software user guide "OEM Recovery partition created by the computer manufacturer as
    a factory setting will not be cloned". So, Samsung does not carry the recovery partition across to the SSD - just as I wanted.

So, the SSD won't have the 16 GB recovery partition that the HDD had. Incidentally, Acer documentation says that if a new drive is installed, the ability to go back to the "original build factory settings" will be lost. So, they anticipated the loss if
    the drive was replaced. And this is fine by me since I do not want to go back to Windows 7.

The bottom line is that the SSD won't have the recovery partition; I need to create a recovery drive once I have upgraded to the SSD. (I think it is best to create the recovery drive after the SSD is installed since there are subtle differences between
    the SSD and HDD and the recovery tools should reflect the SSD.)

Edmond Danta, Dec 13, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

You can clone a big drive to smaller as long as the used space is smaller than the target the image isn't clear enough to see details of partition but normally the 128 drive is the actual boot drive so it won't boot if you don't copy that you don't need the recovery one but assuming it's MBR you need to copy the boots error or it won't boot

Samuria, Dec 13, 2016
  5. Omidz 10 Win User
    thanks for your response. The HDD is in GPT format. I put a better screenshot for you also the screenshot of disk management.

Omidz 10, Dec 13, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You need the 260mb EFI System partition and the Windows partition.

NavyLCDR, Dec 13, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    You do need the hidden partitions. Reflect makes it easy - choose the option "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" on the left hand side of the Reflect window:

There are advantages in imaging then restoring your system to a new PC compared to cloning - see my guide enclosed.
    SSD Transfer.docx

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is cloning Hidden partitions from HDD to SSD necessary? - Similar Threads - cloning Hidden partitions

2. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  3. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  4. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  5. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  6. Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD

Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD: I'm trying to clone my Windows PC. I have a 220GB SSD installed with a 1 TB HDD. What I'm trying to do is clone Windows and leave my documents and Images etc: on the HDD. When setting up the cloning software I have deleted the "Users" folder from the cloning operation. I now...
  7. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  8. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using Macrium Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  9. Hidden partitions after cloning

Hidden partitions after cloning: This is a computer I built several years ago (E6300). I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro. I have cloned the HDD to an SSD. (I eventually figured out how using Macrium Reflect. There was another D: partition for which I used Aomei Partition Assistant to...
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is disk partition necessary for cloning a hard drive to an ssd?

2. install from hidden partition on ssd