Windows 10: is cortana useful on desktop?

Discus and support is cortana useful on desktop? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; cortana reportedly came to my country on the new insider build do people find cortana useful on a desktop that is not equipped with a mic? what would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by shmu26, Mar 5, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

is cortana useful on desktop?

cortana reportedly came to my country on the new insider build
    do people find cortana useful on a desktop that is not equipped with a mic?
    what would cortana be good for, and how to optimize it?
    for instance, do I need to set up the mail app or something, so it gets a feed of personalized info?

:)

shmu26, Mar 5, 2016

2. Guest Account- is it useful?

is the guest account useful ?

BabakNoori, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Bing Search Button - How useful is it ...?

I also use it constantly for:

- Web search: all the time -> search anything on the web... (I also use Bing on my desktop, search results no too different from google).

- Music note icon: often -> to tell me what is the name, artist and album of a music track playing on the Radio/TV...

- Eye icon: often -> for QR code (the square ones) and barcode reading on advert in the street, magazines, product (how much does this cost, where can I find it etc etc). One issue with this thought, Ciao! shopping (Bing shopping portal)
    is horrible !!! I still use google for shopping around.

- Eye icon: often -> for translating text when aborad: This is nicely done indeed, frame a sentence, text paragraph on the screen on a well lite page/sign, poster in the street etc then choose "scan text". if all /most of the words have
    been recognised (white rectangle around it) then use "translate" to another language. The translated text will be super imposed on the image text... The translation is not perfect, but good enough to give me an idea of what is written... very useful indeed...

- City Icon: Local scout: not really used as I much prefers to use Nokia Maps for the content, user reviews and rating, photo, and guide (Michelin Guide, Trip advisor, TimeOut, WCities, the AA, LonelyPlanet etc) all in one place... Although
    the 2 interfaces are similar, I prefer the way Nokia organise the content... for me, Microsoft Local Scout = lite version of Nokia Maps without the content...

On the Lumia, it would be nice if this icon could launch Nokia Maps instead of Local Scout... (ie another reason to go to Lumia rather than other brand, the local content!)...

I too sometime press the magnifier button when trying to access a setting menu ("...") at the bottom right corner of the screen...

I hope this help.

Tony.

happytoon---01, Mar 5, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

I've never used it and don't see any reason to do so...everything I need can be done without using it..but others might find it useful.

Wullail, Mar 5, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Could be a maga irritant in an open plan office -- it's sometimes bad enough already with beeps every time someone gets an email / text on a mobile phone and above all those irritating people who don't turn off the phone click noises when they are entering text etc.

(External consultants - please take note here - especially those from "The big 4" in my experience is you are the worst offenders for this stuff -- perhaps you spend so much time on your mobiles you are totally oblivious to other people around you who really don't care how long you had to wait for your luggage at Newark airport etc etc).

I don't think we should encourage any more noise in these places so what use is having to SPEAK to a computer going to be.

At home it could be another issue and also of course for visually impaired people but in a normal open plan office my vote is definitely a big NO NO.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 5, 2016
  6. shmu26 Win User
    Here I am, the OP again. I am a single user, working at home as a freelancer , on a desktop without a mic, and I am wondering whether this virtual assistant has anything to offer me in terms of reminders, or feeding me relevant info, or whatever.

shmu26, Mar 5, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Like all things this is a TOOL -- some people will find it useful, others not. IMO perhaps this should be offered as a feature you either add (Turn Windows features On / Off) rather than integrated into the base product.

Tools are specific for different users -- A motor mechanic would have uses for a Torque wrench for example but a micro biologist wouldn't -- so you wouldn't add a torque wrench to a "standard bag of tools".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 5, 2016
  8. shmu26 Win User

I guess that about sums it up.

shmu26, Mar 5, 2016
  9. I only use it occasionally, but it can be useful, you don't need a mic to use it

for example
    type in 'Set Reminder' saves you having to find the app and manually set a reminder, Cortana does it all for you
    type in 'Send Email to person name' and it will get it going for you

It can give you the weather/latest news just by opening it, if you have an appointment in your calendar it tells you when you need to leave the house based on traffic

lots of other things, best way is to try it and see, if you don't find it useful then just switch it off

paulsalter, Mar 5, 2016
  10. On a desktop, without a mic (which is the same situation I have) -- NO. See no use for it.

Mark Phelps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. is cortana useful on desktop? - Similar Threads - cortana useful desktop

2. Cortana's aim and usefulness

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana's aim and usefulness: Hey everyone! Maybe I've misunderstood the aim of Cortana, but it seems to me I should be able to get an answer for basic factual type questions from the Internet, should I not?But I seem to get a lot of "I'm sorry but I can't help with that yet."Q. "Hey Cortana, what is...
  3. Cortana's aim and usefulness

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana's aim and usefulness: Hey everyone! Maybe I've misunderstood the aim of Cortana, but it seems to me I should be able to get an answer for basic factual type questions from the Internet, should I not?But I seem to get a lot of "I'm sorry but I can't help with that yet."Q. "Hey Cortana, what is...
  4. Using Cortana

in Cortana
    Using Cortana: Can I use Cortana while on facebook and typing a post? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-cortana/7f2cebd0-cf86-480a-b296-a9596538d9ff
  5. Using Cortana

in Cortana
    Using Cortana: Is there any way I can use Cortana while on face book and typing a post? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-cortana/d5ded736-070a-45b7-9b24-1f96c4319eb6
  6. Problem using Cortana

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem using Cortana: Cortana assistant not working like it should and like it was before an update. After an update Cortana will not take me to web sites or open web pages. I can only open apps. Cortana used to work fine until a recent update. How can I fix this issue without uninstalling the...
  7. Unable to use Cortana

in Cortana
    Unable to use Cortana: Hi, I am having issues with my Cortana. When I ask Hey Cortana, Cortana opens for about a second before closing again. She is responding to my mic but just doesn't work. I have done multiple mic tests and my mic works fine. ***Modified title from: Cortana***...
  8. Unable to use Cortana

in Cortana
    Unable to use Cortana: When I try to use Cortana it says: Sorry about that, I didn't hear anything. Tap here to make sure Cortana can hear you. Then when I try to open Windows Speech Recognition it says this: Wizard could not launch The Wizard could not start Make sure your audio hardware...
  9. Keyboard use of cortana

in Cortana
    Keyboard use of cortana: I do not have a microphone attached to my computer and can no longer use Cortana. How do I get back to using Cortana with keyboard entry? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-use-of-cortana/25583236-ca41-473f-9028-685e40a62f48"
  10. Cortana memory use

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana memory use: I've searched TenForums and read TenForums Tutorial and ran Disable_Cortana along with turning off 100 switches. And Task Manager still reports Cortana holding 75MB. I'm using the wrong search terms since "why does Cortana use memory" ain't getting me anywhere. What is...