Windows 10: Is Digital activation tied to a microsoft account as well as hardware?

Discus and support Is Digital activation tied to a microsoft account as well as hardware? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi folks, I was wondering about this, since we have a digital licence for Windows 10, and should one need a new motherboard, how does Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by donegaljoe, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Is Digital activation tied to a microsoft account as well as hardware?

Hi folks,

I was wondering about this, since we have a digital licence for Windows 10, and should one need a new motherboard, how does Microsoft determine if we are entitled to Activation for Windows 10 or not, if that activation is only tied to hardware..

Short History, I had Windows 7 home OEM which I upgraded to windows 8 pro at a special discount from Microsoft, now that licence could be transferred from one computer to another, one copy of OS only run once at any time though.

Now I am not entirely sure when I upgraded Windows 8 pro to Windows 10 pro whether or not I lost the right to transfer it to another computer, or maybe if I replaced existing Motherboard, if activation might still work.

So that is partly reason for my activation question of digital activation licence is only tied to hardware, or linked to a Microsoft account as well.

Some clarification would be gratefully appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    Joe

:)

donegaljoe, Jul 24, 2018
  2. erenkyi Win User

Is my digital Win10 license tied to my account?

So I bought a license from a third party website and activated it. It says
    "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."
    on Activation page. Does that mean that license is tied to my account? Do I need to copy my activation code and store it to use it after formatting my PC or will it automatically
    use that license when I log in to my account?

erenkyi, Jul 24, 2018
  3. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License  

This is what i get on step 2

Is Digital activation tied to a microsoft account as well as hardware? [​IMG]

MCardona81, Jul 24, 2018
  4. Is Digital activation tied to a microsoft account as well as hardware?

Windows 10: Will digital license of Windows 10 linked to Microsoft account?

Hi,

I realize that you have queries about activating Windows 10 through Microsoft account by linking to digital license. I will certainly help you.

When you use a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 10, the digital license will be automatically linked to your Microsoft account.

Also I recommend you to refer to the information provided by Andre Da Costa in the link below and check if it helps.

How to troubleshoot Product Activation in Windows 10

I suggest you to follow the steps for activating Windows 10 after there is any hardware changes

How to activate Windows 10 after hardware changes:
    When you have linked your Windows 10 digital license to your Microsoft account, then you can use the following direction to activate Windows 10 after hardware changes.

Step 1: Click on Start Menu. Then select Settings.

Step 2: Click Update & security.

Step 3: Then click on Activation. If your Windows 10 copy is not activated and you see a link labeled as
    Troubleshoot.

Step 4: After that click on Troubleshoot link to open Windows 10 activation troubleshooter and get your copy of Windows 10 activated after hardware changes.

Step 5: If the troubleshooter fails to activate Windows 10, then you will see a option as
    I changed hardware on this device recently.

Step 6: Click on I changed hardware on this device recently link or option to see a page where you need to enter your Microsoft account email address as well as password.

Step 7: Then try to select your Windows 10 computer from the devices list, check the box labeled as
    This is the device I am using right now and then click on
    Activate
    button to activate your copy of Windows 10.

Please get back to us with an update on queries on Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 24, 2018
Thema:

Is Digital activation tied to a microsoft account as well as hardware?

1. Is Digital activation tied to a microsoft account as well as hardware? - Similar Threads - Digital activation tied

2. Issues with activating a new PC with digital licence tied to an account Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with activating a new PC with digital licence tied to an account Windows 11: I've recently built a new PC without an OS and installed Windows 11 on it. Upon setting it up, I signed in with the same account as I was signed in with my old PC, which was also running Windows 11 Pro. Windows on the new PC, however, doesn't seem to be activated - I already...
  3. Issues with activating a new PC with digital licence tied to an account Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with activating a new PC with digital licence tied to an account Windows 11: I've recently built a new PC without an OS and installed Windows 11 on it. Upon setting it up, I signed in with the same account as I was signed in with my old PC, which was also running Windows 11 Pro. Windows on the new PC, however, doesn't seem to be activated - I already...
  4. Does Windows digital license follow Microsoft account AND hardware, or just hardware?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does Windows digital license follow Microsoft account AND hardware, or just hardware?: Any answers to this question are GREATLY appreciated!I've been playing around with a portable copy of Windows professional that I installed onto a USB drive. I've been trying to understand under which circumstances the copy is activated when it comes to different computers I...
  5. Does Windows digital license follow Microsoft account AND hardware, or just hardware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows digital license follow Microsoft account AND hardware, or just hardware?: Any answers to this question are GREATLY appreciated!I've been playing around with a portable copy of Windows professional that I installed onto a USB drive. I've been trying to understand under which circumstances the copy is activated when it comes to different computers I...
  6. Does Windows digital license follow Microsoft account AND hardware, or just hardware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account: I seem to be in quite a pickle here, I upgraded my laptop, a few years ago from windows 7 to 10, recently my boss asked me to pass on my work to others, but there's a problem, My personal Microsoft account, somehow got linked to the built-in administrator account, the laptop...
  8. RDP using Windows account tied to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP using Windows account tied to Microsoft account: I am having a problem using RDP and can't for the life of me figure it out. I have my PC running windows 10 and I use a Microsoft account with a pin to login. I have enabled and configured RDP access on the machine but can't login into it using my account. My Microsoft...
  9. Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account: So long story short is I was logged into a local account. I've seen other posts about using the built in admin account but nothing that said anything about not the built in administrator's account but an account that was local and in the administrators group. So anyway I...
  10. Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account: Somehow or another I received a computer to work on in which the build is Administrator account has been tied to a MSA. It is Windows 10 Home so I can't get to more advanced options in lusrmgr. I've tried searching and haven't found anything related to this topic; I have no...