Windows 10: Is Edge browser causing Desktop freezes and abnormal Shutdowns?

Discus and support Is Edge browser causing Desktop freezes and abnormal Shutdowns? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I do not know which forum to post this question. This is a new computer build, and occasionally (like every 3 to 5 hours) the desktop GUI freezes, or... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by iko22, Jul 22, 2018.

1. iko22 Win User

Is Edge browser causing Desktop freezes and abnormal Shutdowns?

I do not know which forum to post this question.

This is a new computer build, and occasionally (like every 3 to 5 hours)
    the desktop GUI freezes, or
    the computer powers down on its own into a black screen (with no cursor)
    I tried pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, but nothing works in either case. I have to restart the computer again to regain control again.

My first assumption was that the problem was caused by graphics card or memory issues. So I stressed the graphics card with a few games and I ran the Heaven Benchmark, but doing this has not replicated the problem. Next I did memtest, and that did not report any errors.
    Up to this point I was solely using Edge browser. So, I decided to download and install Vivaldi browser. Since using Vivaldi browser the problem has gone away, and I get no desktop freezes or abnormal shutdowns. Start using Edge browser again, and sure enough, within a few hours the problems return again.
    So what is it about Edge browser that is causing this problem? Is there a permanent fix?

:)

iko22, Jul 22, 2018

2. Abnormal shutdowns with Fast Startup enabled

Thanks Sumit - No, as you say, it's an Intel: i5 (8th gen - 8250U) with Intel UHD 620 graphics, 8 GB RAM and an SSD. I'll have a try with Dell as you suggest. These abnormal shutdowns are definitely not random - they happen on almost all attempts at a
    Fast Startup shutdown, though occasionally shutdown and subsequent startup do succeed. Oddly, full hibernate works correctly.

Michael_A_P, Jul 22, 2018
  3. JK_33855 Win User
    Windows 10/Edge freezes

Hi, we continue to have issues with edge freezing before and after Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3176493). We have reset Microsoft Edge Browser. We also performed SFC/SCANNOW without any issue with and without a
    clean boot. We do not experience the freezing with either IE or Fire Fox on any site. We hope helps us. Kindest regards.

JK_33855, Jul 22, 2018
  4. EileenP Win User

Browser History Missing in EDGE

Your answer is not helpful. How did I discover I couldn't access the history? By following all the steps you listed below.

Edge has problems and for this reason Chrome is now my browser and I am very happy. Absolutely no freezing !!!

EileenP, Jul 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Is Edge browser causing Desktop freezes and abnormal Shutdowns? - Similar Threads - Edge browser causing

2. abnormal shutdown laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    abnormal shutdown laptop?: my acer laptop experiencing abnormal Shutdown when pc is in ideal condition. is this due to window update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/abnormal-shutdown-laptop/d484f471-cd83-4bd9-899a-58cb10c9c2e2
  3. abnormal shutdown laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    abnormal shutdown laptop?: my acer laptop experiencing abnormal Shutdown when pc is in ideal condition. is this due to window update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/abnormal-shutdown-laptop/d484f471-cd83-4bd9-899a-58cb10c9c2e2
  4. Turn off the display on power options causes a Abnormal Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Turn off the display on power options causes a Abnormal Shutdown: Hello!Guys, I have an annoying problem.First of all sorry for my english, I am Brazilian. My problem is:Whenever I leave my computer idle it closes everything and restarts from scratch.I notice that this problem only happens when this option is active: Power Options >> Edit...
  5. Abnormal Shutdown during Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Abnormal Shutdown during Hibernate: Dear all,I hope you may help me in this situation.I have a fairly recent Dell XPS 9500, i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 16,0 GB, 4k touch display.I am on the Dev insider ring, and currently on the last 21634 release.I am pretty satisfied with the system even if I have to admit the...
  6. Network Ethernet driver causes my desktop to freeze on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Ethernet driver causes my desktop to freeze on shutdown/restart: Hey guys, This problem started when i switched of using WiFi to using Ethernet , my computer started to freeze on shutdown and on restart screen too, forcing me to force shutdown. If i disconnect the LAN cable the issue doesn't happen, so i uninstall and installed theRealtek...
  7. abnormal system shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    abnormal system shutdown: Previously i used to have BSODs. After that i freshly installed windows 10 pro. Now i don't have BSD but my system shutdown unexpectedly. what may be the possible reason behind it.........
  8. Abnormal shutdown happening at unusual times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Abnormal shutdown happening at unusual times: I got my whole motherboard repaired and ram also. Got windows 10. I tried updating and restarting but that didn't resolve issue\ Abnormal shutdown of pc refer these logs for the issue. System shutdowns like it's a power shutdown with that click noise (the noise which is...
  9. What may cause Abnormal Shutdown during hibernate?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What may cause Abnormal Shutdown during hibernate?: Everytime the lid is closed and the laptop hibernates, the hibernate ends with an abnormal shutdown, when the lid is open. The figure is a part of the report generated by powercfg /sleepstudy. It can be seen the exit reason is Abnormal Shutdown. and it occurs when the lid...
  10. Microsoft Edge browser freezes

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge browser freezes: event viewer shows, Error 8/23/2018 1:43:14 PM Application Error 1000 (100) MicrosoftEdge.exe 11.0.17134.228 5b63cc97 ntdll.dll 10.0.17134.228 6d15b6d7 cfffffff 000000000009d7a4 3014 01d43a67290030d3...