Windows 10: Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space unallocated?

Discus and support Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space unallocated? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space, say 1 GB or 2GB or ...... unallocated. Is there any benefit or harm. 26991 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sam9, Oct 18, 2015.

1. sam9 Win User

Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space unallocated?

Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space, say 1 GB or 2GB or ...... unallocated. Is there any benefit or harm.

:)

2. BulldogXX Win User

i have free space of 78G on the hard disk which is not allocated, how do i re-allocate this free space?

Depending on where on the hard disk the free space is located, you may be able to increase the size ('extend') an existing partition or create a new partition in the free space.

Here are some web search results to get you started. There's lots more information on the web.

How to manage partitions on Windows

How to manage partitions with the Disk Management tool

BulldogXX, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Kafedemy Win User
    i have free space of 78G on the hard disk which is not allocated, how do i re-allocate this free space?

when you open 'the pc' you find three drives, but when you open disk management you fined four drives the fourth is named free space not allocated, how do I re-allocate the free space?

Kafedemy, Oct 18, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I can't think of either a benefit or harm, unless your system partition is really short on free space.

NavyLCDR, Oct 18, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    Generally not but some file systems need it. For example OSX expects 128MB unallocated after all HFS partitions like this:

Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space unallocated? [​IMG]

There is a good explanation of partitioning here Partitioning Advice

6. Kanata Win User
    In a normal Windows system for home use I cannot think of a reason to leave unallocated space.
    Especially if it's an SSD drive where you need to make maximum use of all the space.

Kanata, Oct 18, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    There is no reason to do so, no benefit whatsoever. No harm to do it but it is not a thing one should even consider.

8. Snakeyes Win User

Actually, in an SSD having some unallocated space can have some benefits. In fact most SSD's already have built-in unallocated space (OP – over provisioning). This allows the the SSD's internal systems greater efficiency in the Garbage Collection and trimming process. For example Samsung drives recommend a 10% over provisioning but allow users to exceed this limit. Furthermore, any time an SSD is filled to over 80% capacity you will see decrease in efficiency and speed. In traditional HD drives, unallocated space really serves no function.

Snakeyes, Oct 19, 2015
  9. sam9 Win User
    Thanks.

10. sam9 Win User
    Thanks to all for their valuable information. As I do not have shortage of space and if there is no benefit and no harm that I would like to keep some GB unallocated. May be in future some software may need free space.

Thema:

1. Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space unallocated? - Similar Threads - advisable leave hard

2. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The disk space is showing unallocated space.: While i was checking it is showing 5 mb unallocated is this right .i have 1 tb hdd is it good to show 931 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-disk-space-is-showing-unallocated-space/82fc8895-87f0-4ea5-bcd6-a761f8b71540
  3. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The disk space is showing unallocated space.: While i was checking it is showing 5 mb unallocated is this right .i have 1 tb hdd is it good to show 931 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-disk-space-is-showing-unallocated-space/82fc8895-87f0-4ea5-bcd6-a761f8b71540
  4. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Unable to do anything with an unallocated space on hard disk.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to do anything with an unallocated space on hard disk.: I have 139.63 GB of unallocated space on my disk that I am not able to create a new volume or even convert it from dynamic to basic. When I try to create a new simple volume an error message is shown that there is not enough space available on the disk. The same error happens...
  6. Unable to do anything with an unallocated space on hard disk.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to do anything with an unallocated space on hard disk.: I have 139.63 GB of unallocated space on my disk that I am not able to create a new volume or even convert it from dynamic to basic. When I try to create a new simple volume an error message is shown that there is not enough space available on the disk. The same error happens...
  7. Unable to do anything with an unallocated space on hard disk.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Unallocated Space on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated Space on Hard Drive: I had a disk failure caused by a failed UPS. Before I realised I had tried to repair Windows. The disk is 1Tb, I also had a 1Tb disk used for file storage but I think this is on the verge of failings although it can still be read.I purchased a 2Tb HDD and was able to clone...
  9. Unallocated disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unallocated disk space: [ATTACH] After installing Windows 10 Pro for the first time I notice that I'm missing disk D. I tried ''New Simple Volume'' on unallocated disk but doesn't work. I would appreciate your help. Thanks!...
  10. Unallocated Disk Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated Disk Space: I recently bought a small laptop to do admin work while out-of-town. The computer came in with a 100 MB partition allocated to Recovery. That didn't leave me enough room for a Windows upgrade. There was nothing in the partition so I created an external Recovery, deleted the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. leave unallocated space on ssd