Windows 10: Is it advisable to put user data on a separate Windows 10 partition

Discus and support Is it advisable to put user data on a separate Windows 10 partition in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a desktop PC with a 1000 GB hard drive. The OS is Windows 10 Anniversary Update. I have the OS and programs/apps on C: partition of 150 GB and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 27dgb, Sep 24, 2016.

1. 27dgb Win User

Is it advisable to put user data on a separate Windows 10 partition

I have a desktop PC with a 1000 GB hard drive. The OS is Windows 10 Anniversary Update. I have the OS and programs/apps on C: partition of 150 GB and user data on D: partition of 781 GB. I have a system image backup, taken recently when the PC was functioning OK. I backup the user data daily, using File History. If I have a major problem that requires re-installing W10 I can do that with the image backup.
    My question is, do I really need to maintain a two partition strategy or have the backup tools of imaging and File History made this redundant?

:)

27dgb, Sep 24, 2016

2. Which is a better method, System and User Data on different partitions of same drive, or same partition of that drive?

UPDATE (PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)

Having put User Data in a separate partion of new HDD--

1. Windows File History won't pickup data from separate partion drive (it keeps looking for user data in System partion)

2. Turned off Windows File History and installed Seagate Dashboard but this applicat6ion also looks for data source in System partition, not in data partition

3. In System partion User acct., no more I see any Documents folder (even after checking View >> Hidden Items). But if I attempt to create a new folder named Document, it says the folder Documents already exists.

4. If I go to Data partition's Properties > Location and try to Restore Default C:\Users\me\Documents, Access is denied though I have all Administrative rights in Properties > Securities.

mr-live-in, Sep 24, 2016
  3. Default user profile location when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

I have Windows 7 Pro installed on my computer but my default user profile is mapped to a different partition of the same hard drive. I have done this so data stays separate to system files. All the system files are on C Drive partition and the existing
    user profile are on a separate partition. When a new profile (user account) is created, it is automatically created in the separate partition.

I am wondering if this will pose any challenge when I am upgrading to Windows 10. Would Windows 10 keep my settings the same (which I am happy with) or would it by default change my settings making C drive again the default location for user profiles (I
    am okay with this too as I can change this later) or will it actually not let me upgrade because of different drives being used for system files and User profiles?

Anyone with knowledge of the issue, please advise so I can prepare accordingly before upgrading. It will be good to get some views from Microsoft on this and if this is something they have anticipated as part of the upgrade procedure.

Thanks

Manish

msharma1981, Sep 24, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Hi and welcome.

There's not really much point in having the backups on the same drive as the drive itself could become faulty.

I put my user folders on a second drive and change the save locations in the settings app. This way if the OS screwed up drive c: you can simply format and reinstall Windows without loosing your personal files.

swarfega, Sep 24, 2016
  5. 27dgb Win User
    Swarfega, thanks for your response. I forgot to include that I have an external drive I save the system image backups to and another external drive I save user data to.

27dgb, Sep 24, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    If you have regular backups then yea you can do what you're proposing. Just make sure those backups are regular.

swarfega, Sep 24, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    There is an advantage in having a smaller separate system partition on drive C: so you only have to image the C: drive (and hidden system partitions) to recover your system. This results in smaller and faster system backups. But you still need to back up your user files on D:

Steve C, Sep 25, 2016
  8. Is it advisable to put user data on a separate Windows 10 partition

I don't recommend putting data in a separate partition. A separate drive, yes. On the same drive increases the read/write heads travel distance moving from apps to data and reduces performance. On the other hand, using two different drives allows asynchronous reads and writes (both sets of drive heads working simultaneously) and improves performance and tends to lessen wear and tear on both drive mechanisms.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 27, 2016
  9. x509 Win User
    Two separate drives is best, but two partitions on the same drive is much better than one partition only for both programs and data.

I've been doing that for 20 years and I've never lost data due to Windows/program corruption.

x509, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it advisable to put user data on a separate Windows 10 partition - Similar Threads - advisable put user

2. User data folders not available after separation to new partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User data folders not available after separation to new partition: On Windows 10 v.2004. I wanted to separate User data from the system drive to simplify backup and maintenance of a Lenovo X1Yoga, which uses a nominal 500GB actual 477GB NVMe M.2 drive. [I ran XP with separate system and data partitions.] The outcome was not simple. Here is...
  3. How to separate user accounts on Windows 10?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to separate user accounts on Windows 10?: I've been trying to setup 2 user accounts on my Windows 10 OS; so, that I can separate my Uni work and regular use, but I'm not able to separate the accounts when it comes to the apps and programs. E.g. when i delete a shortcut on my desktop from the uni work account it also...
  4. How to separate data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to separate data?: Hi all On my pc i have a 240gb ssd and a 2tb sata and It really annoys me that all of my data is all shoved together. Is it possible to put ONLY my windows software on the ssd, create a partition on my sata for applications and another on the sata for everything else. While...
  5. Windows 7 User Here: Is it safe for me to install Windows 10 onto a separate partition for...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 7 User Here: Is it safe for me to install Windows 10 onto a separate partition for...: Sorry if this isn't the best place for me to post this question first of all. If there are better recommended subreddits for these types of questions please let me know and I will post there as well. I have 3 drives: an SSD with Win7 and my most commonly used programs an...
  6. Windows 10 - separate storage drives for software and data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - separate storage drives for software and data: I recently bought a PC with Windows Pro, built from an Intel NUC 8i7 with a fast 512GB NVME SSD and a 1TB HHD, intending to use the SSD for software and other high-access files, and the HDD for normal data. It came yesterday with everything set up on the NVMe SSD as the C:...
  7. Clean Install of Windows 10 - Data on separate Drive

Clean Install of Windows 10 - Data on separate Drive: I have a PC with two HDs. I have some corrupted OS files and will be re-installing Windows 10 as a clean install. Presently, the OS in on the smaller drive and I have the OS set so that data is stored on the second larger drive. I am replacing the smaller drive with SSD on...
  8. Install Windows 7 on a separate partition

Install Windows 7 on a separate partition: Hello, I have an existing Windows 10 PC. I have a 1TB hard drive, and I want to make a partition and install Windows 7 on that partition. Microsoft says that installing the older operating system last can "render your system inoperable", so I'm not sure. Obviously, Windows 10...
  9. Moving Windows installation to a separate partition

Moving Windows installation to a separate partition: How can I separate my Windows installation files and put them in a separate partition (And leave some room for updates if necessary), or instead leave it where it is, but move the rest to a separate one? Right now everything is on C:\ and I want the installation part to maybe...
  10. Data on separate partition or drive?

Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...