Windows 10: Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account?

Discus and support Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Firstly, I should say that someone suggested this Forum to me and it's one of the most useful things that I have come across on the Internet! I read... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Fortitude, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Fortitude Win User

Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account?

Firstly, I should say that someone suggested this Forum to me and it's one of the most useful things that I have come across on the Internet!
    I read somewhere that one way to safeguard your system is to create a second Administrator account in addition to the one that is built-in in Windows, so that should there be a problem with the "original" Administrator account you would use the second one to restore the first one.
    If this is indeed advisable, what are the steps to do it? I presume that I should password-protect the second Administrator account.
    Would I have the second Administrator account always enabled and the original Administrator account always disabled?

:)

Fortitude, Jun 12, 2017

2. Is it advisable to buy a C7 now?

Its pretty difficult to see which ones have the defect.

A bit of advice. At the store, make your phone display something white, like the Google homepage, and lower brightness to half or so, or just check the whole range. You'd see if it has a tint that way. Best if you compare to a white or black paper.

chanchan05, Jun 12, 2017
  3. Is it advisable to buy a C7 now?

i have read a news in other forum that the batch of c7 as of january is free in defect but theirs a few wuth defect but what i said its few

grimmyrippy, Jun 12, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Hi there, I have needed one in the past, it doesn't do any harm, just continue using your normal account until you need to switch to administrator.

You can follow this guide to create it.

swarfega, Jun 12, 2017
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    The built in Administrator account was not intended for general use and is best left disabled. Create an admin level account for your normal use. I like to have a secondary account for use if for any reason I am unable to use the normal account. Any secondary account must be enabled or you could not log in with it. It needs to have a good password or it is a security risk.

LMiller7, Jun 12, 2017
  6. Fortitude Win User
    Thanks for the replies. @swarfega, the guide that you directed me to, doesn't explain how to add an Administrator account if I read it correctly.

@LMiller7, I am already described as Administrator on my PC. It was the one that had been created by default when I installed Windows. However, during the installation of certain programs I had to enable the other Administrator account that has more rights.

How would I create the secondary account that you refer to with the elevated Administrator rights?

Fortitude, Jun 12, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    At work, I have a standard user account on my Windows 10 box which is NOT an administrator. Then, I have a secondary account on the box, which I am not allowed to use to login to the box, but I use it for everything that needs an administrator. So, anytime I get a UAC prompt, I have to type in my secondary account name and password.

pparks1, Jun 12, 2017
  8. Fortitude Win User

@pparks1 is your secondary account equivalent to the built-in Administrator account?

This is what is confusing me: The default Administrator account which is created when Windows is installed and the built-in (normally disabled) Administrator Account that apparently has elevated rights. Should (or could) I create a second Administrator Account for safety's sake in an emergency, like the one which is built-in?

Fortitude, Jun 12, 2017
  9. pparks1 Win User
    Yes, my secondary account is equivalent to the built-in Administrator account. However, I am not allowed to logon to the computer with that account.

Yes, having a second account with Admin rights is always a good idea. Most people accomplish this by having their normal everyday account added to the local Admins group. So, that ends up being their primary admin account, and the admin account at install time is their backup, emergency admin account.

pparks1, Jun 12, 2017
  10. Fortitude Win User
    I created an account in by going through Settings --> Family & Other People and designated it as "Administrator". I hope that this will be fine, and more importantly I hope that I will never have to be obliged to resort to this account in order to solve a problem!

Fortitude, Jun 13, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    That is true but it is not a wise strategy as it is trivial for malware to bypass UAC.

It is much better to use an account that is not part of the administrator group for daily use. As you described you do at work in fact.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Also you want to make sure the second administrator account is a local account. If you are using an email address to log into it, then it is likely using a Microsoft Account login which people tend to have more problems with than local accounts. Also, make sure to not forget the password over time.

The "elevated" built-in administrator account in Windows 10 actually has less rights than a user account in the administrators group because the built-in administrator account has UAC disabled. UAC is just the prompt that says "Are you sure you want to do this?" when you try to perform an action that requires administrator privileges. By default, when you disable UAC on an administrator account you get locked out of some Windows apps such as Edge browser and the Microsoft store.

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2017
  13. Fortitude Win User

Based on the last two postings above:

I now have accounts as follows.
    A Microsoft acct, Admin (as created during Windows installation) - my installed programs are in this account.
    B Microsoft acct, Admin (I created it after Windows installation) - doesn't have any programs in it.

What I should like to have:

1. Convert B from Microsoft acct to a local acct, keep Admin rights
    2. Convert A from Admin to a standard user, keep Microsoft acct

What do you suggest is the right sequence and steps to achieve the above?

Fortitude, Jun 14, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    The order that you have them in.

NavyLCDR, Jun 14, 2017
  15. lx07 Win User
    That is what I'd do and in the order you describe 1 then 2 as you don't want to end up in a situation where you have no admin account.

To convert account type you can follow this tutorial (option 1 is probably the easiest)

Change Account Type in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

You can then sign on as user A (as you do now). If you get prompted for User Account Control to get Admin access to do something or other you can then enter the user ID and password of user B.

You should very rarely have to sign on as user B although you'll have to to change the account type of A (I think).

There are a few odd cases you need to be actually signed on as Admin account but I can't remember them off hand - it will be there if you need it.

Thema:

1. Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account? - Similar Threads - advisable useful second

2. Non administrator accounts have administrator privileges

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Non administrator accounts have administrator privileges: I have Administrator account enabled and the other account on my PC set to standard. I have password prompt active for every administrator privilege. It used to work fine. Always required Administrator password for ie opening Task Manager, uninstalling apps. Now certain apps...
  3. Non administrator accounts have administrator privileges

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Non administrator accounts have administrator privileges: I have Administrator account enabled and the other account on my PC set to standard. I have password prompt active for every administrator privilege. It used to work fine. Always required Administrator password for ie opening Task Manager, uninstalling apps. Now certain apps...
  4. Is it advised to use PC optimizers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it advised to use PC optimizers?: I have heard lots of software's which seem to boost the overall performance of the computer and was wondering if it is safe to use them and can they prove to be useful or is it best to just manually do it with the tools already available in Windows 10?...
  5. Using administrator account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Using administrator account: Is it necessary to use the administrator account if I am the only person using the computer and it is a personal computer. Is there any advantage to having an administrator account. I think it is causing me some problems as I am not sure what settings are going where.....
  6. remove second administrator account

remove second administrator account: I have two administrator accounts on my Surface Pro 3 laptop, both are mine, I want to remove the one I don't use, but it does not allow me to remove this one , but only the other one which I need to keep, please advise !...
  7. DID HAVE ADMINISTRATION ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Customization
    DID HAVE ADMINISTRATION ACCOUNT: I CANT HAVE A ADMINISTRATION ACCOUNT THAT MAKES MY LAPTOP COULD NOT BE FORMAT AND EVEN DO ANY TROUBLESHOOT. I HAVE GOOGLE EVERYTHING ON HOW TO CHANGE FROM USERS ACCOUNT TO ADMINISTRATION BUT ALL OF IT DIDNT WORK...
  8. How to have full Administrator Rights: no limitations

How to have full Administrator Rights: no limitations: With Windows 7 and the application called Process Explorer by SysInternals, I could kill or suspend virtually any active file. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case with Windows 10. Is there a workaround or is there a limitation in my Windows version 10 Home? 146324
  9. How to have full Administrator Rights: no limitations

in Windows 10 Support
    How to have full Administrator Rights: no limitations: With Windows 7 and the application called Process Explorer by SysInternals, I could kill or suspend virtually any active file. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case with Windows 10. Is there a workaround or is there a limitation in my Windows version 10 Home? 146324
  10. Administrator account does not have administrator privileges

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administrator account does not have administrator privileges: Hello all, my default user account is set up as an administrator account yet still does not have all write privileges needed when installing to certain drives (C, in this case), and I believe it is causing problems with certain software working the way I need it to. Please...