Windows 10: Is it bad if a SSD is too fragmented?

Discus and support Is it bad if a SSD is too fragmented? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I know this is a old question but I can't find proper answers there and here. I run Mydefrag (I have it because I have 3 mechanical hard drives) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by derek10, Aug 12, 2016.

1. derek10 Win User

Is it bad if a SSD is too fragmented?

I know this is a old question but I can't find proper answers there and here.
    I run Mydefrag (I have it because I have 3 mechanical hard drives) and checked my SSD out of curiosity and it's all yellow (fragmented), seems that at least 80% of all files are fragmented.

I know that SSDs don't need to be defragged because they have way less seek latency than HDDs and shortens its lifespan, but can performance be somewhat reduced in a heavily fragmented file system, I say, Windows needs to locate every file fragment and that needs CPU?

Thank you

:)

derek10, Aug 12, 2016
  2. Jetta48 Win User

If a game is left open but is it paused does it still use data on a windows phone ?

Hi
    educonnection7188

Your question has been moved by a moderator to the Windows Phone forum for more focused attention by the experts on this subject.

Jetta48, Aug 12, 2016
  3. If a game is left open but is it paused does it still use data on a windows phone ?

My phone i clicked back which usually closes all games and or apps open but I saw that a game was left open since earlier in the day ?I am not sure how much data it has used and I am scared because I dont want my phone taken away.

<Windows Phone version unnown>

educonnection7188, Aug 12, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Windows just thinks it's fragmented, because the SSD's controller "Lies" to Windows to make it think it's a spinner.
    For example, if Windows expects the boot files to be at the outside of the disk, so the controller say's "yup, that's exactly where I placed them(fingers crossed)", but there is no disk, just cells.
    So over time Windows thinks the SSD is fragmented, when it's not. Data is always placed in whatever cells are free, until trim is run, then they are place in blocks together, so the controller won't have to search all the chips.

Another words, in short, only the SSD's controller knows where the data actually is.

Cliff S, Aug 12, 2016
  5. derek10 Win User
    So it's simply how the controller reports to Windows and not the real state of fragmentation

Thank you for you excellent answer *Smile

derek10, Aug 12, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome*Smile

Cliff S, Aug 12, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    HDDs (spinners, mechanical) also "Lies" to OS, logical and physical sector placements are not same.

CountMike, Aug 13, 2016
  8. Mystere Win User

Fragmentation is not strictly just about where blocks live on the disk.

Another aspect of fragmentation is fragmented directory entries and the MFT. When these become fragmented, they use up more space than is necessary, and cause extra lookups for directory scans. Thus, over time, it takes longer and longer to find any given file. In extreme cases, the filesystem can actually run out of entries and cause other issues.

This is why the Windows disk defragmenter will, on occasion, do filesystem defragmentation and cleanup on SSD's, in addition to running TRIM requests.

You should only use an SSD aware disk defragmenter, such as the built-in Windows Defrag. It does a fine of making SSD's the most efficient they can be.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it bad if a SSD is too fragmented? - Similar Threads - bad SSD too

2. Will cloning a fragmented hard drive onto a SSD cause problems?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will cloning a fragmented hard drive onto a SSD cause problems?: I have a gaming laptop with a HDD, and I want to clone it to an SSD with Macrium Reflect. The problem is that it appears that my hard drive is nearing failure as it's constantly on 100% disk usage (even after doing every possible software fix), and when I use Window's...
  3. Fragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fragmentation: Don't know why this happens. It happens with memory hungry programmes tho.. I do know how to defragment both Registry and Pagefile. However, I don't understand how a sluggish or unresponsive app can produce fragmentation in pagefile, for a start. Sometimes it's Chrome...
  4. SSD + bad HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD + bad HDD?: My hdd currently has 16 bad sectors and disk usage is always throttled to 100%. would performance increase if i install os in a ssd and use hdd alongside with it? will my hdd cause any performance issue? submitted by /u/Anindo9416 [link] [comments]...
  5. SSD may be Bad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD may be Bad: every time I boot to windows I get a recovey post but if I restart again it will boot into windows is there software i can check the disk with it ia a Samsung HDD 155872
  6. Recovering SSD with bad blocks?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovering SSD with bad blocks?: Hello, I have an SSD boot drive that has some bad blocks. My full story is over at Loop: System Thread Exception Not Handled, Bad System Config Info where zBook recommended that I come over to this forum: The files are backed up by copy and paste. This allows a clean...
  7. Is my SSD bad?

Is my SSD bad?: 2.5" SATA 1TB Samsung 860 evo. I originally bought it for a laptop ~6 months ago. Laptop experienced a hardware failure (either bad SATA controller or bad connectors from drive bays to controller I believe - can give more info on the symptoms of that failure if you think its...
  8. HDD gets fragments too quickly after defragmentation

HDD gets fragments too quickly after defragmentation: I defragmented all my drives yesterday before going to sleep and it said 0% fragments on all, I looked it up today and there is 3% on C: and 4% on D:. This started happening a lot recently, I defragment the drives and even after a few hours, with almost no use at all, they...
  9. HD too SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    HD too SSD: Almost a year I updated my Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Now I would like to replace my DH with an SSD. I will make a clone of the HD to the SSD with AOMEI Backupper Professional. What about my Microsoft Windows License? Will it still be valid? thanks in advance for...
  10. windows 10 is too bad

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 is too bad: Am not able to open settings & personalize my laptop .. In windows 10 20553