Windows 10: Is it bad to defrag a SSD? Also, should I defrag at all?

Discus and support Is it bad to defrag a SSD? Also, should I defrag at all? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Should I defrag my SSD and or Harddrive? my windows 10 is on my SSD and I have a few games on my SSD and majority of random games and files are on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by McSweg, Dec 21, 2017.

1. McSweg Win User

Is it bad to defrag a SSD? Also, should I defrag at all?

Should I defrag my SSD and or Harddrive?
    my windows 10 is on my SSD and I have a few games on my SSD and majority of random games and files are on my HDD.

I heard it's bad to defrag a SSD

:)

McSweg, Dec 21, 2017
  2. slance310 Win User

[Solved] Experiencing difficulty transferring files from external hard drive (0x800701E3)

Hi,

I have had similar issues in the past that always reoccurred even after reformatting the drive... Always in the same spot...

Usually the drives in question would list bad sectors when a chkdsk was run, but not always...

On a couple of drives I was able to continue using the drives normally by not deleting the file located on the bad spot... It is not unheard of for a HDD to have or develop a bad spot in the magnetic material on the platter...

I know this is not of much help, but it happens... You may have caused the problem by stopping a defrag process, but the file may have already had issues which in reality could be what caused the defrag to hang to start with...

It also may be that the defrag process tried to copy the file to a bad spot which triggered all of these issues...

slance310, Dec 21, 2017
  3. Jeroneleg Win User
    defrag the lap top with windows 10..

I,m trying to defrag my lap top do to bad files opening and usage. Also I have not done it. Is there a way to do it.

Jeroneleg, Dec 21, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

Short answer is NO do not defrag it. This question can stir all kinds of debate but actual defragmentation is irrelevant to how an SSD works.

Medium length answer - if you use the Windows native Optimize Drives interface (try typing defrag into Cortana once) if will only run a trim operation on your SSD, which can be a good thing. You may find it's already scheduled to run weekly by default.

Longer and more technical discussion (but getting a bit dated) can be found at: https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRe...ntYourSSD.aspx

As far as HDD, of course you can defrag but most folks will set the Windows Optimizer to go weekly or even monthly. Fragmentation on that HDD may or may not be noticeable to you for a long while, depending on exactly how you use it.

As far as 3rd party defraggers - they're a money hole.

Word Man, Dec 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Is it bad to defrag a SSD? Also, should I defrag at all? - Similar Threads - bad defrag SSD

2. Defrag a SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defrag a SSD: I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for...
  3. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should i defragment an SSD?: my laptop now is slower than 1 month ago. In today, when i turned on laptop, it't automatic run checking disk. After checked disk, my laptop is quiet slow. I can't analyze C drive so i downloaded Defraggler and analyze disk. It's said 22% disk defragted then 26% defragted. I...
  4. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i defragment an SSD?: my laptop now is slower than 1 month ago. In today, when i turned on laptop, it't automatic run checking disk. After checked disk, my laptop is quiet slow. I can't analyze C drive so i downloaded Defraggler and analyze disk. It's said 22% disk defragted then 26% defragted. I...
  5. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Defrag SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag SSD: I have read defragging a SSD (Solid State drive) can greatly shorten its life so i have turned off scheduled maintenance for C & D discs however it seems to turn itself back on again over time (i am not sure when) is there a way of uninstalling windows 10 defrag or a...
  7. Should I defragment on SSD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I defragment on SSD drive: Will defragmenting shorten ssd service life? Should I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-defragment-on-ssd-drive/a42de2e2-2b7c-40af-98ae-a3ba3f0ef83b
  8. Defragmenting SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmenting SSD: Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-ssd/a3aac7a1-64d5-4c2d-a1eb-7b62401e340d
  9. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  10. Should SSD's be defragmented

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should SSD's be defragmented: Here's a question that hasn't been asked before I'm sure. Should an SSD be defragmented. Seriously, I know there are a multitude of opinions on this but was wondering what the experts on this forum would suggest. 52802