Windows 10: Is it just me, or is Windows update the biggest virus in the world?

Discus and support Is it just me, or is Windows update the biggest virus in the world? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Another update another changes in security settings that makes my PC unusable, it literally prevents me to do simple tasks that I feel like I've been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by roalush, Jan 18, 2018.

1. roalush Win User

Is it just me, or is Windows update the biggest virus in the world?

Another update another changes in security settings that makes my PC unusable, it literally prevents me to do simple tasks that I feel like I've been hit by ransomware and if I'm not paying a technician 100$ (at least) I will not be able to use my PC the way I used to.
    Why when I get restricted by security settings I am not offered an option to change this security setting, isn't that a basic right I have as an administrator?

:)

roalush, Jan 18, 2018
  2. paul4793 Win User

Is it just me or is the file system on the N86 totally **bleep** when it comes to music?

ok i know how to move files from folder to folder thats not the prob the prob is playing all the tracks/files in a folder all it does is play one at a time from reading other posts i dont think im the only one with this problem

paul4793, Jan 18, 2018
  3. Is it just me or is the file system on the N86 totally **bleep** when it comes to music?

first of all phones are not gay this is impossible

2nd you can create your own playlist which work fine if you use the settings correctly and go through them phones dont automatically think for you in where you want files stored this is why your givin playlists to use and modify to your needs

techbuzzireland, Jan 18, 2018
  4. Delly10 Win User

No, it's not just you. I've been feeling the same way lately. I keep being told that I really, really need to get Windows updates when they're available because they keep my computer safe from malware and hackers and keep things running smoothly. So I do the update, and then find that I can't use my computer anymore for one reason or another. Currently, I'm one week into trying to figure out why I can no longer go online after updating. I now have to use a public library computer to find a solution while my laptop sits useless at home. It worked perfectly fine before the update, and now is pretty much useless afterwards. This is far from being the first time this has happened.

In the future, I won't be updating Windows except maybe once a year. It's not worth going through this on a monthly basis. It shouldn't be happening at all. To prevent updates, I change the Wi-fi setting to "Metered". That's all it takes.

Delly10, Jan 18, 2018
  5. spunk Win User
    No it really is just you.
    @Delly10, if you can't get online, then Do a System Restore to a time before this happened. Or Press the Win key+X choose Device Manager. Expand Network Adapters. Right click your WiFi device, choose Properties/Driver/Roll Back Driver to the driver that was working.
    If you don't want it update automatically, choose Metered Connection or edit the Group Policy editor How to Disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates | NDTV Gadgets360.com
    If you want to block a Driver update, download the Show or Hide Update tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...urce%3Dtwitter

spunk, Jan 18, 2018
  6. hiphopper Win User
    If you were looking for help, you might give us more details about what is going wrong. Otherwise if you just wanted to get that off your chest, "good story bro."

hiphopper, Jan 18, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Here's an incredibly apt quote from Windows wizard Woody Leonhard, who writes a column for ComputerWorld called "Woody on Windows:"
    This comes from his latest column for today, entitled "Patching meltdown: Windows fixes, sloppy .NET, warnings about Word and Outlook."
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 19, 2018
  8. Delly10 Win User

Wouldn't doing a system restore mean undoing the "upgrade" to the latest version of Windows? That's when the problem with going online started. I'm able to connect to Wi-fi, but I'm just not able to go to any sites. Also, certain other programs freeze up when having to check for updates before proceeding. I tried Junk Removal Tool, but it freezes at "checking for updates" at the beginning and goes no further.I was also advised to do a Network Reset by someone else. I tried it but it didn't help.

Delly10, Jan 19, 2018
  9. roalush Win User
    Maybe l'll for help here. After thinking for several hours what I need, right now I don't have access to group policy editor, l cannot turn on Windows features (which were removed and I need to re-enable them). One all around script to restore back all permissions will help me greatly.

roalush, Jan 19, 2018
  10. RickC Win User
    As hiphopper suggested earlier, more info would be helpful. For example:

• Can you get to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Update history to see what updates were most recently installed?
    • When you write that you need 'One all around script to restore back all permissions', what permissions have changed? (And why?)
    • It looks like you have Win 10 Pro, so can you describe why you don't have access to the Group Policy Editor?
    • Why can't you turn on Windows Features which were removed? How were they removed?
    It's fine if you just want to rant, but if you want help then the more info you can provide, the more likely it is that someone here may be able to help.

RickC, Jan 20, 2018
  11. i checked your system and they dont have windows 10 drivers, so maybe that is why you having trouble maybe this new update does not work with your hardware... just a thought

monster212, Jan 20, 2018
  12. It's not just you.
    Those people blaming you should know better.

A quick check of the TenForums index shows many threads about Windows Update issues (especially 1709).
    If you check the official MS forums you'll also see many complaints.

Until early last year I only experienced minor annoyances that were easily fixed (using fixes posted in this forum).
    Since then, I've started experiencing constant problems with my W10 Home laptop.
    All normal updates (except Defender) take two attempts to install (i.e. the first attempt always fails).

Even my W10 Pro VM has started having issues (the 1703 Upgrade destroyed the graphics driver).

The 1709 Upgrade won't successfully install in either of them, despite multiple attempts (which include applying various MS fixes).

W10 has the worst version of Windows Update that I've ever used used (compared to W8, W7 Vista & XP).

lehnerus2000, Jan 20, 2018
  13. Delly10 Win User

Do think it might be best to just not do updates anymore? That's what I'm planning on doing. I know they're supposed to be for security purposes, but it seems that Microsoft's version of keeping computers safe is to keep them from being used. The idea of getting an update only to have to fix all the resulting problems until the next update seems to defeat the whole intended purpose.

Delly10, Jan 20, 2018
  14. RickC Win User
    Good points, well made. I think it's important to remember that most members are here because they're often more technically savvy than most. I dread friends and relatives who contact me with 'My Windows 10 <insert description> isn't working/I've lost my internet connection/ it used to work but it's stopped.', etc. when I know they don't know enough to fiddle with the things. As you said, they're literally just trying to use it.

If only I had a quid for every 'I hate Windows 10, I wish I could go back to <whatever the previous version was>' comment that I hear. IMO Microsoft are totally unaware how much distaste, even hatred, Windows 10 is building up.

I'll be the first to admit that I've disabled Windows Updates on my own Win 10 devices and am now a regular reader of AskWoody's MS-DEFCON advisories to find out when it's safe again. It really shouldn't be like this. *Sad

RickC, Jan 20, 2018
  15. MS says, "There's nothing safer than a brick!"

lehnerus2000, Jan 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it just me, or is Windows update the biggest virus in the world? - Similar Threads - update biggest virus

2. Biggest idiots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Biggest idiots: In microsoft are the most stupid people. Microsodt has the worst support among everyone. Someone stole my account, into i put more than 60€ and only thing microsoft was able to respond with, was that they can not give me my account back, they can only suspend my old account....
  3. Biggest idiots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Biggest idiots: In microsoft are the most stupid people. Microsodt has the worst support among everyone. Someone stole my account, into i put more than 60€ and only thing microsoft was able to respond with, was that they can not give me my account back, they can only suspend my old account....
  4. Windows Explorer update problems or is it just me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer update problems or is it just me?: My Windows 11 Home recently updated to 22H2 10.0.22621 but now Windows Explorer is operating in a retrograde way.Two examples: 1 Prior to the update, I used to be able to use the address line to drag and drop files i.e. move files to a parent folder or right click a folder on...
  5. Windows Explorer update problems or is it just me?

Windows Explorer update problems or is it just me?: My Windows 11 Home recently updated to 22H2 10.0.22621 but now Windows Explorer is operating in a retrograde way.Two examples: 1 Prior to the update, I used to be able to use the address line to drag and drop files i.e. move files to a parent folder or right click a folder on...
  6. windows defender is the biggest boss ever help me to beat that please

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows defender is the biggest boss ever help me to beat that please: literally im driving crazy for a day. im trying to remove it for good, i write disableantispyware and set it as 1, i do every damn thing what internet says but somehow 'msmpeng.exe' a.k.a 'antimalware service executable' works! thats what makes me crazy. please help!!...
  7. Wonderful world of updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Wonderful world of updating: Today, with shut down of PC I got the well-known message: wait till updates are installed Thereafter I restarted the PC to see which update was installed (I looked in settings and in Control Panel). Conclusion; No updates were installed today. Only an optional update, visible...
  8. can World of tanks give me a virus?

can World of tanks give me a virus?: can World of tanks give me a virus on my windows 10 because it was already on my computer and i want to play it and i dont know if it can give a virus * Original title; Viruses...
  9. Is it just me ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it just me ?: One thing i noticed about Windows 10 performance, Disk Cleanup runs much faster then in Windows 8.1. 16351
  10. Microsoft Just Fixed One of the Biggest Windows Update Annoyances...

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Just Fixed One of the Biggest Windows Update Annoyances...: Microsoft has a lot to fix in Windows 10 and the update that’s expected to launch in October or November is supposed to do just that and bring new features on PCs and tablets, such as extension support for Edge browser. But in the meantime, Redmond’s taking care of the...