Windows 10: Is it mandatory to fully update Windows 10 before upgrading?

Discus and support Is it mandatory to fully update Windows 10 before upgrading? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a customer's system, a Gateway NV73a24u laptop (AMD Athlon II X2 P340/4 GB/640 GB), whose hard drive failed due to too many bad sectors.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sgtaylor5, Jun 25, 2017.

1. sgtaylor5 Win User

Is it mandatory to fully update Windows 10 before upgrading?

I have a customer's system, a Gateway NV73a24u laptop (AMD Athlon II X2 P340/4 GB/640 GB), whose hard drive failed due to too many bad sectors. Replaced hard drive with a SanDisk 240 GB SSD. Tried to clean install 1607, and it stalled on "Checking for updates" for days.

Installed Windows 7 SP1, OEM and basic Gateway drivers, same thing.

Blanked SSD and tried again, this time fully updating Windows 7 before successfully updating to Win 10, 10240. (I was trying for 1703, but the MCT downloaded 10240 (???)). But, at least I've got Windows 10 now. Updated one round of normal updates successfully.

So, I tried to update to 1607 as an in-place upgrade, and I got stuck on "Checking for updates". Again. I stopped the upgrade and am trying to update the laptop manually.

What gives? Do I have to keep updating this laptop manually until I'm at 1607? Thanks in Advance.

:)

sgtaylor5, Jun 25, 2017

2. HP G62 laptop gets stuck before the loggin screen and has to load for about 3 hours

why is it that after I turned my computer on. The mandatory updated automatically started, afterwards my HP G62 laptop gets stuck before the loggin screen and has to load for about 3 hours before it will fully load the loggin screen so that I may then
    access my computer. Once logged in it runs fine but the forced wait is outrageous.

BriceMcBeath, Jun 25, 2017
  3. Is it mandatory to upgrade immediately from Windows 8.1 from Windows 10 after 29th July 2015?

Is it mandatory to upgrade immediately from Windows 8.1 from Windows 10 after 29th July 2015?

<Original title - Upgrade >

INDRASENAREDDY, Jun 25, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

No updates are necessary for an install or upgrade. Normally, I install or upgrade to Windows 10 by not allowing it to connect to the internet until it is done installing. I always create a local account first. Only after it is done and setup fully with a local account, then I either plug in the Ethernet cable or give it the password to the WiFi.

NavyLCDR, Jun 25, 2017
  5. sgtaylor5 Win User
    Well then. Sounds logical; I've had to do that with .msu (standalone) updates. I'll try that and get back to you. Thanks.

EDIT: added sentence about msu updates.

sgtaylor5, Jun 25, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    It does that if you use an old copy of the MCT. When a new version of Windows 10 is released a new MCT is too. Each MCT is designed for a specific version, and will continue to download its version after a new one is released. I have kept a collection of all the old MCTs so I can make media for any version I need.

Right-click on a MCT and look at 'Properties > Details' to see which build it was made for.

Is it mandatory to fully update Windows 10 before upgrading? [​IMG]

7. sgtaylor5 Win User
    That explains it. So if I rename all my MCT's for each version, that would help. Thank you.

sgtaylor5, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it mandatory to fully update Windows 10 before upgrading? - Similar Threads - mandatory fully update

2. is it okay to upgrade to windows 11 while windows 10 is not fully updated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it okay to upgrade to windows 11 while windows 10 is not fully updated: I been trying to update by windows 10 but no matter how much I try watching videos trying to explain and showing fixes nothing helped so I was thinking if I upgrade to windows 11 my windows will be all up to date but am not sure if I should as am not sure if I require all the...
  3. is it okay to upgrade to windows 11 while windows 10 is not fully updated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is it okay to upgrade to windows 11 while windows 10 is not fully updated: I been trying to update by windows 10 but no matter how much I try watching videos trying to explain and showing fixes nothing helped so I was thinking if I upgrade to windows 11 my windows will be all up to date but am not sure if I should as am not sure if I require all the...
  4. is it okay to upgrade to windows 11 while windows 10 is not fully updated

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. FS2020 Mandatory Update

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    FS2020 Mandatory Update: Flight Sim 2020 Mandatory update screen when starting up but there is no update in Shop Does not allow the program to load https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fs2020-mandatory-update/3f63cd4d-13c3-4a5b-a107-ab86cc3eb8a7
  6. FS2O20 Mandatory update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FS2O20 Mandatory update: I just installed this update and it changed how all the buttons work like altitude, vertical speed. You know have to scroll with the mouse wheel to change and cannot set the height/speed like before. I can adjust the altitude but not put the botton to set it as the new...
  7. Window 10 Mandatory Update FAILED

Window 10 Mandatory Update FAILED: Microsoft pushed down a mandatory update due to my current version end of life. I pushed off the update as long as I could and then I was not given an option to extend the upgrade. I restarted my PC as indicated and came back hours later to see my PC booting and rebooting...
  8. Microsoft Flight Simulator Frozen on "Update Success [MANDATORY UPDATE] Mandatory updates...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Flight Simulator Frozen on "Update Success [MANDATORY UPDATE] Mandatory updates...: Anyone else having this issue? Not even getting to game launch screen. Task Manager indicates that MFS CPU usage is around 35% and power usage "Very High" I chatted to a Microsoft agent but they could only suggest that it is due to high demand on launch day....
  9. Delay the problematic mandatory upgrade for a month?

Delay the problematic mandatory upgrade for a month?: Yes I do not want the new Windows 10 make upgrade until they fix the problems. I am on the road and do not have the time to be trying to fix it after it screws things up. I have disabled and it still starts up. I have prolonged it for a few days and it still appears it...
  10. Do i need win 7 fully updated before upgrade to 10

Do i need win 7 fully updated before upgrade to 10: Hi! I am doing a hard drive switch on a desktop and going for full clean. I got win 7 on disc then 10 on app. My question is, do i need to fully update 7 before upgrading to 10 or can i jist install 7 then upgrade directly? Regards!...