Windows 10: Is it ok if I disable Windows 10 memory compression?

Discus and support Is it ok if I disable Windows 10 memory compression? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; If I enable memory compression (via the mmagent cmdlet in powershell) I get this "error" in process explorer about a process called "memory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Stealth3si, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Is it ok if I disable Windows 10 memory compression?

If I enable memory compression (via the mmagent cmdlet in powershell) I get this "error" in process explorer about a process called "memory compression" and the path reads "[a device attached to the system is not functioning.]":

Is it ok if I disable Windows 10 memory compression? [​IMG]

When I try to access any kind of information on it via properties settings, which there is none, it says "Access Is Denied" the only info I can see is threads tab that shows "ntoskrnlGetCompressionWorkspace" error.

Anyways, if I disable memory compression via the mmagent cmdlet in powershell, I no longer get the "error" in process explorer! The image below shows that memory compression is disabled with its "False" value:

But the other features having "True" values show that superfetch/prefetch is currently enabled. Normally superfetch enables memory compression by default when superfetch is on, until I manually disabled memory compression.

Suppose Superfetch (and memory compression) was enabled before then I disabled the Superfetch service in Service Manager, well this is what the mmagent cmdlet in Powershell looks like.

With Superfetch disabled, it also disables memory compression.

Currently, I have enabled Superfetch but since I manually disabled memory compression it stayed disabled. Otherwise, memory compression would have been automatically enabled alongside the Superfetch features. I am having no issues other than that annoying "error" description in process explorer. My pagefile size is managed by windows if this matters at all.

:)

Stealth3si, Oct 27, 2016

2. Is it ok if i turn off my laptop even though the Windows 10 is still downloading?

Hi Macario,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I would like to inform you that while downloading Windows 10 if you turn off the computer, then there are high possibilities that download process will start from beginning once you reboot the computer. Therefore, it would be better if you could wait
    till the download process gets finished.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us if you need more information and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Oct 27, 2016
  3. Is it ok if i deleted the %temp% folder WITH all of its files?

Is it ok if i deleted the %temp% folder WITH all of its files?

Will i not get anymore temp files to delete since i deleted the folder and if yes where will they be?

Original title: %temp% in windows 10

EnderLord43, Oct 27, 2016
Thema:

Is it ok if I disable Windows 10 memory compression?

1. Is it ok if I disable Windows 10 memory compression? - Similar Threads - disable memory compression

2. Windows 11 Memory Compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Memory Compression: My memory compression is turned on but when i open "TERMINAL" as administrator or powershell + cmd , all of them say "Invalid Namespace" so i cannot disable it. I have also tried "Get-MMAgent" and it is the same thing , the cmd I used to try disable it was "Disable-MMAgent...
  3. memory compression

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  4. memory compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  5. memory compression

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Should I disable memory compression on HDD for FPS Stability?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I disable memory compression on HDD for FPS Stability?: So, Im a simple man, I got a PC to play games, but I cant play properly because I have stutters all the time for example in GTA, when im driving fast thorugh the city my framerates drop, and frametimes spike like ****. I was thinking the problem relied on my RAM, because it...
  7. Should I disable memory compression on HDD for FPS Stability?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I disable memory compression on HDD for FPS Stability?: So, Im a simple man, I got a PC to play games, but I cant play properly because I have stutters all the time for example in GTA, when im driving fast thorugh the city my framerates drop, and frametimes spike like ****. I was thinking the problem relied on my RAM, because it...
  8. Should I disable memory compression on HDD for FPS Stability?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it?: Hi, I'm currently doing some maintenence on a friends laptop. I've upgraded the RAM and am also going to put an SSD in there which should dramatically improve performance. (It's only a Celeron!) Thing is I've noticed that in Task Manager under the Performance tab and...
  10. Windows 10 Memory Compression

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Memory Compression: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] With the announcement of the Memory compression feature, we have received a lot of queries from the insiders asking for more information. This post tries to go in-depth into the inner working of the Memory Manager and the...