Windows 10: Is it ok to use a USB Recovery Drive instead of a System Repair disc?

Discus and support Is it ok to use a USB Recovery Drive instead of a System Repair disc? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Today I worked on a computer on which the owner wanted me to show her how to create a system image backup. Since I’m a Macrium Reflect person that’s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MeAndMyComputer, May 10, 2017.

1. Is it ok to use a USB Recovery Drive instead of a System Repair disc?

Today I worked on a computer on which the owner wanted me to show her how to create a system image backup. Since I’m a Macrium Reflect person that’s what I recommended but she was adamant she wanted to use Backup and Restore ((Windows 7). After that a USB Recovery Drive was created. Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    Will that be ok to use instead of a System Repair disc that the Backup and Restore ((Windows 7) requests to do? She doesn’t have any CD discs and doesn’t want to buy any unless she needs them.

:)

MeAndMyComputer, May 10, 2017

2. Is IT possible to use a MINI USB THUMB DRIVE as a cellphone memory card SINCE THE NOKIA LUMIA 920 OR 1020 DOES NOT SUPPORT MICRO SD CARD SLOT?

THANK YOU...I CANNOT USE A SD CARD IN MY 920

please_help_LL, May 10, 2017
  3. Is IT possible to use a MINI USB THUMB DRIVE as a cellphone memory card SINCE THE NOKIA LUMIA 920 OR 1020 DOES NOT SUPPORT MICRO SD CARD SLOT?

Ah. Darn. Thanks for the reply.

JackLarson, May 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Is it ok to use a USB Recovery Drive instead of a System Repair disc?

(from the tutorials).

I thoroughly agree with you about Macrium.

If she has any other drives or partitions, try asking her how those are protected and what would happen if those failed.

Also ask her how she's going to keep her system image updated.

And you could point out that that strategy will leave her having to do a clean install should her disk fail - not the case with Macrium.

dalchina, May 10, 2017
  5. Thanks dalchina. I'll get her on MR eventually: the sooner the better. I'll bring my laptop and show her how easy it is.

MeAndMyComputer, May 10, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Great idea... *chuckle tell sad tales of people in tears with no backups and an unbootable PC....

However Macrium's GUI is geeky - try starting differential imaging ...

Oh, and give her the tip about setting the drive letter in Disk Management for a USB drive late in the alphabet so it's always consistent.

dalchina, May 10, 2017
  7. maranna Win User
    I have had MR free forever and just wanted to cast my vote for the program. It is easy to use and is very reliable.
    Tell your client to read this thread.

maranna, May 11, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

When you make a Recovery Drive you have the option to include the system files, which allows you to reinstall Windows if required. For a manufacturer's pre-installed Windows these system files may well include any OEM-specific drivers, software and customisations.

The System Repair Disk doesn't include the system files, but has the same recovery environment as a recovery drive. If you don't include system file it's identical. You can use either to restore a system image (and I have).

MeAndMyComputer, May 11, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Major point is- these are far less comprehensive than a disk image. For naive users it's a bit misleading- i.e. their installed programs and related data on 'C:' aren't protected, as you know, but they may not make the distinction.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it ok to use a USB Recovery Drive instead of a System Repair disc? - Similar Threads - USB Recovery Drive

2. Cannot use System Repair Disc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot use System Repair Disc: I created a system repair disc and it does not boot. In reading support, some necessary files may be missing. Is there a way to download the the files to create a system repair disc?...
  3. Cannot use System Repair Disc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot use System Repair Disc: I created a system repair disc and it does not boot. In reading support, some necessary files may be missing. Is there a way to download the the files to create a system repair disc?...
  4. Cannot use System Repair Disc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System Repair Disc

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Repair Disc: Win10 v.2012 Build 19042.685 Is there other Media than a DVD disc, I can use to prepare such, and of what capacity need it be? 170887
  6. System Repair Disc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System Repair Disc: what type of disc do i need to use to make a system repair disc e.g. CD-R or DVD-RW? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-repair-disc/cae802a8-3358-40a7-99ed-d164cb8f435e
  7. Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10): Hi. Just did my first System Image onto an external hard drive from my Windows 10 laptop. It worked. At the end it asked me do I want to make a System Repair Disc. I said yes. I see I can only choose to use the CD drive. When traveling (regular) I would rather take a...
  8. Using system Image external hard drive or system repair disc.

Using system Image external hard drive or system repair disc.: Could some one give me step by step instructions on how to use either a system repair disc or a system image on a external hard drive. My computer has been acting up, losing files, documents, music and pictures, right clicking on start button will not produce context menu,...
  9. System Repair Disc

System Repair Disc: Hi I'm running Windows 10 on an HP Envy All in One. My preferred backup method is a System Image Backup. When the backup completes it always prompts me to create an System Image Disc. The problem is the this computer doesn't have a built in CD recorder/player. Are there any...
  10. System repair Disc

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System repair Disc: I am trying to create a system repair disc and I keep getting a pop up stating "The disc in the selected drive is not blank. You must erase the disc before you can use it." This is a blank brand new disc. I have tried other discs and it says the same thing. What do I do? 45111