Windows 10: Is it possible for a file to have no name?

Discus and support Is it possible for a file to have no name? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I used Shotcut to transcode a video to mp4 and didn't specify a name and it seemed to work but I thought files needed names. Screenshot:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by THX1138, Jun 14, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Is it possible for a file to have no name?

I used Shotcut to transcode a video to mp4 and didn't specify a name and it seemed to work but I thought files needed names.

Screenshot:
    http://imgur.com/StJW3mc.png

:)

THX1138, Jun 14, 2017
  2. scarcar Win User

Is it possible to have two "textable" numbers for a single contact?

A bit odd how it shows up when you link the two contacts, but it definitely worked. Thanks!

scarcar, Jun 14, 2017
  3. scarcar Win User
    Is it possible to have two "textable" numbers for a single contact?

I need to be able to text a personal and work number for a contact. I tried to do this, but it appears that the only number that you can send a text message to is "mobile" and you can't have two of them (you can only replace the current one). I guess I
    could just create another contact for the work number, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the people hub.

This just seems like a huge hole. There are tons of people who have a personal cell and a blackberry for work.

Any suggestions?

scarcar, Jun 14, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

All files must have a name.
    The screenshot is virtually unreadable.
    Best to post screenshots on the forum.

LMiller7, Jun 14, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jun 14, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    You can't have a file with no name at all but certainly you can have a file with nothing before the file type extension.

For example if you enter echo nul > .avi in powershell you will end up with a file called .avi that looks like this in explorer... They have names - you just can't see them. You can show extensions as @dalchina says above.

Or you can right click and rename them .

7. Helmut Win User
    It does have a name, it's just that you can't see it. Non visible characters like a Space, and you don't have the File name Extensions visible.
    File Explorer > View > File name extensions, tick box.

Helmut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible for a file to have no name? - Similar Threads - possible file name

2. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?: Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to easily upload CAD parts, but I'm running into an issue.The files are Creo Parametric files, and the way that Creo saves files is that it adds an extension starting at .1 and iterating by 1 each time it is saved, which is great because...
  3. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?: Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to easily upload CAD parts, but I'm running into an issue.The files are Creo Parametric files, and the way that Creo saves files is that it adds an extension starting at .1 and iterating by 1 each time it is saved, which is great because...
  4. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Having trouble with file names

Having trouble with file names: Whenever I click on a photo and it says "Save Image As", the file name is named "download" or "images" instead of the original file name the photo had. And so I have tried to look for a solution to fix it and I couldn't find one. I don't know what to do and I really need help...
  6. Possible To Sort Files By End Of Name ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible To Sort Files By End Of Name ?: My screenshots end in _reddit, _twitch, etc. Can I sort the file names by the ending to make them easier to organise ? Thanks submitted by /u/dsfag45rtavdfv [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jws964/possible_to_sort_files_by_end_of_name/
  7. Is it possible to change user name?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to change user name?: I named my pc Pikachu when I first built it. But now I am no longer gaming and want to give my pc to my little nephew. Can I reformat it and give it to him and let him set up his own name? Will I need to do anything else? I remember when I first built it I had to download a...
  8. why do files have to have different names?

why do files have to have different names?: i always wondered this: why files cant have the same name? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-files-have-to-have-different-names/59a5d583-5b8f-4b48-b7a4-79e1e5734865"
  9. Is it possible to have icons of 32px and their name BELOW?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to have icons of 32px and their name BELOW?: It is a copy of the following question about Windows 7: Is it possible to have icons of 32px and their name BELOW? - Windows 7 Help Forums In File Explorer the minimal icon size starting from which the name gets written at the right of the icon is 33 px. Yet the...
  10. Is it possible to change this folder name ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is it possible to change this folder name ?: Is it possible to change this folder name ? Because I type the wrong name when I install windows 10 *Sad In this folder C:\Users [img] 16405