Windows 10: Is it possible to asign MAC address to router ports?

Discus and support Is it possible to asign MAC address to router ports? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Asus rt-12n modem router and a netgear nighthawk r7000 router. The Asus is only used to connect to the landline and all wireless... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mystvearn, Mar 25, 2016.

1. mystvearn Win User

Is it possible to asign MAC address to router ports?

Hi, I have a Asus rt-12n modem router and a netgear nighthawk r7000 router. The Asus is only used to connect to the landline and all wireless connection is via the netgear router. Is it possible to limit access on the Asus LAN ports? The only wired connection I allow is the netgear connection as I have opendns running for internet filtration since I have kids in the house.

I know there are methods to bypass the opendns but I result to manual blocking via the netgear router. So far, I am unable to filter content if the connection is wired via the Asus router. The antennas are removed and the password is secure enough that I forgot what it is.

If is possible to disable all the LAN ports except for the one to the netgear, then I would be happy. Is such a thing possible or must I buy another hardware?

:)

mystvearn, Mar 25, 2016
  2. zheni Win User

e65 questions

Thanks guys.. I just fixed it up. The problem was my router and the "Wireless devicess access controll" option which I enabled.. I just disabled it for a min... saw the MAC address of the phone from "See available devices" option from the router...and
    add the MAC to the table "Allowed devices to connect".

The problem is that u cant see anywhere the MAC address of the phone in its menu.. u can asign an IP..but cant see MAC... strange..

Whatever..thanks.

zheni, Mar 25, 2016
  3. Nokia E51 WLAN problems

this solution solved many problems i hope this would solves yours as well.

Make sure DHCP is enabled on your Router so it can asign IP address to your phone and

If the WEP security is enabled on your router any (router)

just disable the WEP and instead enable the MAC address filtering on your router. type your phone mac address into router so it can allow ur phone. you are protect and you would be able brows internet.

hope this would solve your problem

Thanks

downloader---01, Mar 25, 2016
  4. stormy13 Win User

Not sure if that is possible.

Also why even use the Asus if it is only being hardwired to the Netgear? If your connection speed is over 100 MB from your ISP then you are cutting your LAN speed as the Asus doesn't even have GB ethernet ports.

stormy13, Mar 25, 2016
  5. mystvearn Win User
    Doing it for content filtration not speed

mystvearn, Mar 25, 2016
  6. rvbfan Win User
    rvbfan, Mar 25, 2016
  7. rvbfan Win User
    rvbfan, Mar 25, 2016
  8. mystvearn Win User

Thanks for the reply. Flashing it is easy. What I want to know is if it is possible to limit access to the Asus modem router. Anyone can still bypass if they hook their machines there.

mystvearn, Mar 27, 2016
  9. mystvearn Win User
    I have no problems with the R7000. Had done done previously. What I want to control is access to the Asus modem router.

Thanks for the reply

mystvearn, Mar 27, 2016
  10. rvbfan Win User
    Still don't understand why you are using the Asus router, what you may have to use is a switch in it's place.

rvbfan, Mar 27, 2016
  11. To answer your question, yes you can. I don't know the Asus router to give you detailed instructions but what you are looking for is "MAC address whitelist"

Edit: found a link.
    ASUS Wireless Router RT-N12 - MAC Filter

Simply use: MAC Filter Mode: Accept, then add the netgear MAC address to the list. That should be it.

logicearth, Mar 28, 2016
  12. mystvearn Win User
    Thanks.

How did you get that dummy ui? I think my router is slightly different from that UI:
    DSL-N12E | Networking | ASUS Global

mystvearn, Mar 28, 2016
  13. Is it possible to asign MAC address to router ports?

Its one of tge links tgat popped up when I searched for "Asus MAC address whitelist" either way if the ui is different it should still be in the saner general area. Firewall > MAC filtering.

logicearth, Mar 28, 2016
  14. mystvearn Win User
    Thanks. Will try it. *Smile

mystvearn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to asign MAC address to router ports? - Similar Threads - possible asign MAC

2. Wifi MAC address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi MAC address: Hi everyone,I am trying to change my Wifi MAC address of my windows 10 Laptop. But when I go to properties and Advanced, I am unable to find the network address option to change wifi MAC. Please see attached...
  3. Does Windows 10 use router MAC address to determine location?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does Windows 10 use router MAC address to determine location?: I, like literally thousands of other people according to the locked threads I can't comment on, have a problem where I've moved across the country and all my Windows 10 devices without GPS hardware haven't figured it out. I have a friend with the same issue, and the common...
  4. mac address

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mac address: Hi, Good time Why does my system MAC address change every time I install new Windows? I really need my MAC address to stay the same. And this is the third time that it has changed with the installation of the new Windows 10. I participate in courses that provide codes...
  5. mac address

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mac address: Hi, Good time Why does my system MAC address change every time I install new Windows? I really need my MAC address to stay the same. And this is the third time that it has changed with the installation of the new Windows 10. I participate in courses that provide codes...
  6. Mac Address Troubles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mac Address Troubles: My Nat type changed from "Moderate" to "Open" when I changed my mac address in device manager, is that normal? (I checked my NAT type in both COD Cold War, and COD Warzone, same result) submitted by /u/Mcgwi [link] [comments]...
  7. ENABLE MAC ADDRESS FILTER IN MODEM OR IN ROUTER , TO BLOCK ACCESSING OF UNKNOWN LAN...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ENABLE MAC ADDRESS FILTER IN MODEM OR IN ROUTER , TO BLOCK ACCESSING OF UNKNOWN LAN...: From 2 Years onwards , I am using built in router with modem ( BSNL MODEM ) . I have two computers namely 1. desktop with builtin LAN and usb wifi adapter. 2. laptop with builtin LAN and builtin WIFI also I have two android smartphones . I have noted all the MAC...
  8. MAC Address, MAC ID

MAC Address, MAC ID: Anyone know where I can find my MAC address or MAC ID? I have a Microsoft HP Laptop/touchscreen with Windows 10 and I need the MAC address, Where do I go to find out that information???...
  9. How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Mac)!

How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Mac)!: Hello all brothers/sisters, Greetings to all! I am newbie here. I am looking for Router IP Address for my Mac. How can I do that? Though I started reading articles from online. And found few good articles like How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Windows and Mac) |...
  10. Change Wifi Router Mac Address

Change Wifi Router Mac Address: How can I change my Cisco Cable Modem's Mac Address>*Biggrin 42984