Windows 10: is it possible to change user's name in windows 10 ?

Discus and support is it possible to change user's name in windows 10 ? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows 10 has used my MS account to create my username on windows 10. But it has shorten it. Let me give you an example to make my question clear:... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by rezpower, Aug 5, 2015.

1. rezpower Win User

is it possible to change user's name in windows 10 ?

Windows 10 has used my MS account to create my username on windows 10. But it has shorten it.
    Let me give you an example to make my question clear:

Imagine my MS account is "myname@hotmail.com". When I go to C:\Users I want to have "myname"
    But windows 10 has shorten the name and now in C:\Users I have "myna" instead of "myname".

Is it possible to change this name to myname?

:)

rezpower, Aug 5, 2015

2. Is it possible to change the name of the user folder?

Hello Jake,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with changing the user name on Windows 10. We will certainly help you.

We would like to inform you that Microsoft Account will take the name associated with it. Whatever the name you give when you install Windows it will save the same name. Only Clean installation of Windows will change the username on username folder or create
    a Local account. Microsoft do not recommend registry change as it may cause serious issues on your system.
    Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore
    the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Is it possible to change the name of the user folder?

So I had to reinstall windows 10 recently, I got my documents and games back when I had noticed that the name of the user folder had changed from PimpSlap (Back from when I had windows 7) to jake1 (most likely because jake1domo is my gmail.) I wanted to
    change it back to PimpSlap again but everything I found online is not helpful. I heard that you cant do much in the registry because it messes things up, but I did manage to change the computer so it recognized as PimpSlap now, but all of the folders are the
    same. Is there a easy way that I can change the user folder without having to make a new local account? Or am I stuck with jake1?

jake_nickels, Aug 5, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

Hey ... I'm glad you mention this because I was trying to figure out how I did the samething. My self I was probably messing around with 2 or 3 installations of windows 10 and got side track. Now that you mention this I know exactly what you mean and how it got done now, thanks lol . Now to your question . The simple answer is no you can't change it but what you can do is create another account the way you want and afterwards just delete that account with the mistake , make sure you give admin rights . Though in my case I didn't do this but rather it was one of my first installation of windows 10 so I wanted to try doing a few installations, so I ended up doing a re installation lol call me crazy. I like to get the hang of things . Brink the Admin of this board can confirm yes you can and delete the old one afterwards or someone that knows for sure

sn00ker, Aug 6, 2015
  5. rezpower Win User
    Thanks for your reply. I will try then to make the new account. rep added *Smile

rezpower, Aug 6, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    That didn't work, adding a new account, to be able to change the user name. It never gave me any option to configure anything. I made the new account, with the name I wanted, rebooted, told me it was creating the new account, then logged me on, made the user folder with a name I didn't want, never gave me any options. So what am I missing here???

OldMike65, Sep 22, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    You have to change your user name online - OneDrive.com

Edwin, Sep 22, 2015
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Don't want to change my user name, also I don't use onedrive. I want to change the user name that windows made under users. same problem the 1st person was trying to explain. Its under C:\users\

OldMike65, Sep 22, 2015
  9. like this : http://www.opentechguides.com/how-to...e-account.html

blutos cousin, Sep 22, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello rezpower, *Smile

A workaround to do this would be to create a new local account with the user name you want, make it an administrator account, and sign in to it. This way the "C:\Users\(user-name)" profile folder will have the same name.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...a.html#option3

Afterwards, you can delete your old account after copying what you want to the new local account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Switch the new local account to a Microsoft account. The profile folder will still have the same name you gave for the local account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Sep 22, 2015
  11. alpha45 Win User
    Hi Brink,
    but, is it possible to change user's name in windows 10 in-place and that degree of reliability has this procedure?
    If it is valid, you can please explain in more detail what steps follow?
    Thank you
    Hello

alpha45, Aug 10, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello alpha, *Smile

What I posted above with the tutorial links is the only true way that I know of to completely rename a user account.

Brink, Aug 10, 2016
  13. Ethelwulf Win User

I managed to do that

there was an option at the very beginning sign in with your Microsoft or make a new one Click new one then option local

but how to change it after words not sure , just in case you do a quick reinstall,, now you know *Smile

Ethelwulf, Aug 10, 2016
  14. zekeblue Win User
    I made the mistake. New computer with Win 10. I set up with Microsoft account and got the truncated name. I then learned about local accounts vs. MS accounts and changed mine to be local. No end of problems after that. All about permissions not being converted properly. So, don't do it that way.

I started over with fresh install and chose local account. That, obviously, worked fine. If I had thought of Brink's method, I certainly would have gone that way to avoid reinstalling.

zekeblue, Aug 10, 2016
  15. MobyUK Win User
    Can I ask, what's wrong with the procedure in the link posted by Blutos cousin?
    Seems the easiest way if it would work.

MobyUK, Aug 12, 2016
Thema:

1. is it possible to change user's name in windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - possible change user's

2. Change User Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change User Name: Hello, I recently refreshed my windows 11 and the user name was set to 'hp'. I went to settings and renamed it. However, the folder present in c:\Users\User Name hasn't changed yet. I tried restarting and renaming. No effect. Please help.......
  3. "Changing" User name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Changing" User name?: I have read that changing the user name is difficult if not near impossible but I am thinking more like creating a new local account, copying across any data and then deleting the original account.I am just looking for the best way to do this.Now we tried adding a new "other...
  4. Is it possible change the name of the user folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible change the name of the user folder?: Hi all, I recently installed Windows 10 and in the process created a user. A few days later I noticed that anoyingly the folder name of the user folder is spelt wrong or rather the two last letters are simply missing. It seems there is an actual user name and then one or...
  5. Is it possible to change user name?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to change user name?: I named my pc Pikachu when I first built it. But now I am no longer gaming and want to give my pc to my little nephew. Can I reformat it and give it to him and let him set up his own name? Will I need to do anything else? I remember when I first built it I had to download a...
  6. Windows 10 user name changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 user name changing: I followed the directions that were posted on the forums did all of that but the name would change after I okayed everything. I went to change my account type to the system owner or something similar to that and next thing I know I go to change my name hoping that would fix...
  7. User name change windows 10

User name change windows 10: Hello. I hope there is a brainbox out there to give me some solid help. I have changed laptops from a Dell using windows 10 to an Asus using windows 10. I am the only user (administrator). I copied files I wanted on the old laptop across to the new laptop. However the user...
  8. Change user name and user folder name

Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  9. CHANGING USER NAMES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHANGING USER NAMES: Am using Windows 10 on two different laptops which, when in use are logged into the same MS account. I have a particular piece of software on each laptop where I want to set the backup path to my OneDrive, however, the path on each laptop differs slightly, as follows:...
  10. Is it possible to change this folder name ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is it possible to change this folder name ?: Is it possible to change this folder name ? Because I type the wrong name when I install windows 10 *Sad In this folder C:\Users [img] 16405