Windows 10: Is it possible to change window border thickness?

Discus and support Is it possible to change window border thickness? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am not liking the very thin black window borders, when I open a lot of windows it can be hard to tell where one ends and another begins. Is there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by silverz, Jul 29, 2015.

1. silverz Win User

Is it possible to change window border thickness?

I am not liking the very thin black window borders, when I open a lot of windows it can be hard to tell where one ends and another begins.
    Is there any way that you can increase the thickness of the window outline?

:)

silverz, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Babu V Win User
    Babu V, Jul 29, 2015
  3. demmy ale Win User
    Is there a way to change the window border color?

This is driving me insane Screenshot, i cant find it anywhere in the personal settings and such but is there any way to change the color at least? and or make it transparent?

demmy ale, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  5. silverz Win User
    It worked great for the window borders, exactly what I needed.

There is one major problem however, it also seems to have changed the text color of open windows in the taskbar to black and this makes it almost impossible to read against the dark colored taskbar which windows are currently open.

here is what I mean...
    (probably have to enlarge that to see)

Is there any easy way to edit the theme and simply turn the text back white?

silverz, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Possibly, but I don't know which setting is for that yet. Changing your theme to another theme will undo this for you.

You might also see if this below may work. I haven't tested it in Windows 10 yet though.

Border Width of Windows - Change in Windows 8

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  7. silverz Win User
    Ok, I'll have to stick to the default for now, unless that windows 8 method works.

Thanks for the help!

silverz, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're welcome. Please let us know how it went.

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  9. silverz Win User
    No luck with the windows 8 method. The registry settings are there but seem to have no effect when altered.

silverz, Jul 29, 2015
  10. Also with this, keep sending feedback to Windows team. Maybe they will get it through their thick skulls that like in previous versions Vista/7/8 border thickness and active/inactive colors were important for people to tell the difference between an active and inactive Window. By removing such customization options. Tell your friends to upscore your feedback too the more the better. Maybe they will realize their ignorance.

heyyahblah, Jul 29, 2015
  11. The missing option to change the border thickness is really annoying, especially on a high DPI screen.

I just left some feedback about this and I can only hope that a workaround will be found soon before MS fixes it. It seems like a typical case of improving the looks at the cost of usability. *Sad

Bloemendal, Jul 30, 2015
  12. Was that feedback left at answers.microsoft.com, or at connect.microsoft.com? Could you give us a link, so we can upvote / comment there? Thanks...

Doug Ivison, Sep 29, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Doug, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Here you go.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Sep 30, 2015
  14. As Brink wrote, I did indeed use the built-in feedback utility. If you search for the word thickness you'll find my post (starting with "On my WQXGA...").

Bloemendal, Sep 30, 2015
  15. So far it seems Microsoft is listening partially. In the TP build 10547 you have the ability to change taskbar color now without the use of 3rd party apps, and the personlization menu (classic) style via control panel has been restored as well as it was in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, but you have to access it via control panel and not settings. Hopefully that will stay in the update release.

Border thickness would be nice if they added it back *Smile, it was actually quite aesthetically pleasing feature in Win 8.1 that 7 lacked.

heyyahblah, Oct 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Is it possible to change window border thickness? - Similar Threads - possible change window

2. Windows 11 and Windows 10 Thick Context Menu border

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 and Windows 10 Thick Context Menu border: I am currently facing an issue that includes a thick white/black depending on the theme border around right click context menu. I have been facing the same issue in windows 10 in the past and it seems to have been unaltered in Windows 11. So far I have tried uninstalling...
  3. 1 pixel border around menus and thick borders

in Windows 10 Customization
    1 pixel border around menus and thick borders: Hey,I recently got a problem where my taskbar menus got a 1 pixel border, and the Windows Settings menu has a very thick border. Control Panel menus are even weirder than the Settings menu. I've fixed this temporarily repeatedly by switching to another preset Windows theme...
  4. How do I change the thickness for the border of my Windows?

How do I change the thickness for the border of my Windows?: How do I change the thickness for the border of my Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-thickness-for-the-border-of-my/8862aba7-e87a-4a08-9a23-0885eb1bb240
  5. Thick borders for CMD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thick borders for CMD: When you launch CMD (CMD.exe) you get a window with black background, with a white header, and white scroll-bar on the right side, ... but on the bottom and on the left side, there is no border. Or, there is, but it is one pixel wide, and in dark grey. This is super annoying...
  6. Windows frame border thickness

Windows frame border thickness: For my work purpose , the only reason I use MS windows 10 is because of 1 software only: Kakaotalk a Korean chatting platform. As soon as Kakaotalk is supported in Linux, goodbye Windows. What I cannot stand in Windows 10 is the fact that MS has decided that the almost...
  7. Increase Border thickness

Increase Border thickness: Hi How do I increase the border thickness of windows? And I did try with settings Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\BorderWidth and \PaddedBorderWidth but that only changed the window Title thickness....
  8. How To Adjust The Window Border Thickness

How To Adjust The Window Border Thickness: Hello, so previously I was able to use the WindowMetrics in the Registry to adjust the border thickness for windows (refer to the image), yet that no longer works. There are two settings at: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics Named:...
  9. Non-transparent and thick window borders AND white text.

Non-transparent and thick window borders AND white text.: If I choose the Windows theme from Windows Default Themes or Windows Installed Themes, I get a think border on windows, but it's transparent. I got the aerolite and aerolite (white-text) themes from Aerolite Theme - Install in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Both of these...
  10. Thick border bug in windows 10 (some apps)

in Windows 10 Support
    Thick border bug in windows 10 (some apps): Hi, i facing with something so ugly in my beautiful: Windows 10 Pro Build 10240 64 bit and that is thick border of some windows, i not sure it a bug or Incompatibility of some software in new windows 10! here is some examples (see screenshot) : [img] So, there is...