Windows 10: Is it possible to completely disable the start menu?

Discus and support Is it possible to completely disable the start menu? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm using an old laptop as a Kodi Media Center and I have it set to automatically login and boot kodi on startup and wake from sleep, so what I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnDoeIII, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Is it possible to completely disable the start menu?

I'm using an old laptop as a Kodi Media Center and I have it set to automatically login and boot kodi on startup and wake from sleep, so what I'm wanting to do is add all shortcuts I need to the desktop and completely disable the start menu. Not sure if this is possible, but if it is, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

:)

JohnDoeIII, Dec 7, 2015

2. Is it possible to disable the horrible new windows 10 desktop?

Ever since a few updates ago, whenever I start up my laptop it goes to this horrible Windows 8-style scree with tiles and apps instead of my regular desktop. Is there a way to set my laptop to exclusively use the standard desktop? Or am I trapped in this
    god-awful hell of useless apps and unintuitive menus? Pressing the windows button does nothing. Pressing on the "Back" icon does nothing. It's seemingly impossible for me to use the regular desktop as this tablet-style screen seems to be the base from which
    all my other actions spring. Please help. I just want my computer to be usable again without stupid apps getting in the way.

WaffleCondom, Dec 7, 2015
  3. Is it possible to disable the horrible new windows 10 desktop?

It sounds like your machine has gone into Tablet Mode for one reason or another.

Click on Notifications and then on Tablet Mode. That should fix it.

Gordon B-P, Dec 7, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Is it possible to completely disable the start menu?

I'm curious what the others have to say but I don't think you can do that.

BunnyJ, Dec 7, 2015
  5. alphanumeric, Dec 7, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    You could hide the taskbar (right click on it, properties, tick "Auto-hide the taskbar")

You can get rid of the button with startkiller portable - this works in 10 also. The button will not show on your taskbar but pressing the *Start key will still open it.

If you really want to stop it working lots of people have problems with it failing so you could just wait for that to happen to you and not fix it *Wink

More seriously I think you'd have to change the permissions on something to deny access and probably hiding it away is a better idea.

Is you purpose for doing this aesthetics or you want to stop anyone running anything except for programs with shortcuts on your desktop?

If you want to allow only certain programs the methods depend on whether you are running 10 or 10 Pro so please let us know.

lx07, Dec 7, 2015
  7. Combination of both. I would like to do it for aesthetic purposes but I do want to control which programs people can use. I have already set the account that automatically logs in as a Standard Account, so I'm good on that front.

I'm running 10 Pro x64.

JohnDoeIII, Dec 7, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Settings - Accounts - Family & Other Users - Set up assigned access.

It will be at the bottom under the list of other users (you have to have more than one user created). Also known as "kiosk mode". I don't know if it will work with Kodi, though.

More info:
    Set up a kiosk on Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education (Windows)

Looks like there are ways to do it with Kodi in that article.

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    Then I think the best is a comination. Use startkiller to remove the taskbar icon, autohide the taskbar. Make an account for Kodi and in group policy allow only that application (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...ified-programs)

EDIT: or use the kiosk mode as @NavyLCDR says instead of Group Policy - a better way perhaps.

lx07, Dec 7, 2015
  10. Roger, will do. Thank you all for your help. Greatly appreciated.

JohnDoeIII, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to completely disable the start menu? - Similar Threads - possible completely disable

2. Start Menu is completely empty.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu is completely empty.: For a while now my start menu has been completely empty I tried DISM and SFC tools but they didn't do anything. I also tried restarting windows explorer and I tried restarting my laptop ALOT. The Task Menu is fine and nothing is wrong with it, the only problem is that the...
  3. Is it possible to disable OneDrive completely? I hate it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to disable OneDrive completely? I hate it.: OneDrive filled up about 90 seconds after I built this machine, and a completely random assortment of applications are always trying to write to it, prompting a constant stream of reminders to upgrade my storage. Why? I already have cloud storage from a variety of other...
  4. Is it possible to completely disable yellow highlighting on the Taskbar?

Is it possible to completely disable yellow highlighting on the Taskbar?: I'm referring to this. I was able to turn off the very aggressive flashing a while ago by forgotten means, but I've yet to find a way to disable the pulsing highlight that does not go away when a program opens or wants your attention. I absolutely hate this, it stresses...
  5. Is it possible to disable the windows update completely ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to disable the windows update completely ?: My windows update fails every time and takes forever. Can I turn it off completely? submitted by /u/discorogo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hza5ed/is_it_possible_to_disable_the_windows_update/
  6. Start Menu not working possible solution

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start Menu not working possible solution: I have been fighting with the start menu and many of the windows apps not working after leaving the computer for a while. With some of the apps, I could close them and restart. I am using a Laptop with two external monitors. I tried all the fixes I could find out there,...
  7. Disable Start Menu Hover

Disable Start Menu Hover: Hey there! When I'm in the main desktop and I hover over the start button for 2 seconds, the start menu appears. Is there any way to disable that? It's REALLY annoying. Thanks in advance. 36417
  8. How to disable and possibly completely uninstall Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable and possibly completely uninstall Defender: Hiyas, WinDefend is evil. I'm not able to get off this damn thing, sc delete WinDefend fails due to access denied. Not even speaking of disable the thing via management console. I tried also old good Defender Uninstaller which had worked good for Windows 8, not successful on...
  9. Smallest Start menu possible

in Windows 10 Support
    Smallest Start menu possible: What is the smallest size possible for the Windows 10 Start menu? I could only resize it to a certain extent, then it would not get any smaller. [img] 15464
  10. Start menu Personalization Disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu Personalization Disabled: Had to try a few different methods to get the start menu not working problem to go away. Finally I had to go back to a restore point from just after the upgrade from Windows 7 to get the start menu to work again. Now I try to turn back on the folders in Personalization >...