Windows 10: Is it possible to create custom taskbar jump lists in Windows 10?

Discus and support Is it possible to create custom taskbar jump lists in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey, my taskbar is filling up pretty quickly and I wanted to know if there is a way (if possible without 3rd party apps) to create custom jump lists... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RIPsumCT, Jul 25, 2015.

1. RIPsumCT Win User

Is it possible to create custom taskbar jump lists in Windows 10?

Hey,

my taskbar is filling up pretty quickly and I wanted to know if there is a way (if possible without 3rd party apps) to create custom jump lists for the taskbar in the latest version of Windows 10. Here's a crude Paint job of what I had in mind:

Is it possible to create custom taskbar jump lists in Windows 10? [​IMG]

rgds

:)

RIPsumCT, Jul 25, 2015
  2. DougMarvy Win User

Edge Jump list

I can create a shortcut and drag and drop it to a program icon on the Taskbar. The accumulation of these events then creates that programs "Jump List" or, for some "Jumplist". This works fine with every program on my Taskbar except Edge. There are other
    ways to create jumplists and I have tried them all with Edge. None work. Are Edge jumplists simply no longer possible?

DougMarvy, Jul 25, 2015
  3. Increase # of Items in Taskbar Jump Lists (JumpListItems_Maximum in registry does not do anything)

First, let me point out that this question has already been asked and addressed for many people with the same issue at: Windows 10 Jump list

But, that solution (setting JumpListItems_Maximum in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced) did not work for me on any computers on our domain. It worked perfectly for other computers I've tried it on that are not
    on this domain. This leads me to believe that perhaps this is due to a Group Policy setting affecting our domain that is preventing this new registry setting for working.

I had posted to that thread, but Microsoft Moderator, Sherry Bel, suggested I start a new topic due to the specific nature of my problem.

I manage the Group Policy settings for our domain and can't for the life of me figure out what might be interfering. I don't believe I have set any policies that should affect desktop or Start menu personalization. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Colin

GraniteStateColin, Jul 25, 2015
  4. wzor Win User

That should be possible but it would require registry tweaking, in which I'm not that good at. I can bing around and see if I can find something. I'll report back in a while.

5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 25, 2015
  6. wzor Win User
    If @Brink s solution doesn't work, try this one from How-To Geek. Haven't tried it myself but I think it should work in Windows 10 as well.

Cheers!

7. RIPsumCT Win User
    I'll look through the solutions you found and report back my findings *Smile

Thanks a lot for the comments so far! Can someone elaborate on these registry tweaks mentioned?

rgds

RIPsumCT, Jul 25, 2015
  8. wzor Win User

These programs (or at least one of them) should use the registry method, as manual registry tweaking would be very tiring and difficult. Simply not worth it. *Smile

9. Edwin New Member
    You could put a bunch of stuff in a custom 'Toolbar':

Edwin, Jul 25, 2015
  10. RIPsumCT Win User
    I tested out Jumplist Launcher but the program needs to run the entire time in order to use the new jump lists created by it *Sad

wzor's suggestion was spot-on! Though the program is almost 5 years old (you can download it here: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.) it works like a charm and is easy to set up *Biggrin Thanks a lot!

The custom toolbar solution is also interesting but I'm not accustomed to look in the right corner to start my programs. I'll set one up and try it out over the next few days.

Thanks a lot for the fast help! I really appreciate it!

rgds

RIPsumCT, Jul 25, 2015
  11. Edwin New Member
    Here it is on the left, at least as close to the left corner as I can get it! *Wink

Edwin, Jul 25, 2015
  12. wzor Win User
    Glad to help! *Smile

13. Is it possible to create custom taskbar jump lists in Windows 10?

The advantage in using a custom Toolbar is that it is native to Windows.

Moving it to the left is just a drag operation
    unlock the Taskbar
    grab the left side of the toolbar (a move arrow appears) and drag it as far left as possible
    -> it's a bit tricky since the drag often stops midway - just grab it again and drag it further left
    then
    grab the right side of the toolbar and drag it as far left as possible to collapse the toolbar contents.

You can put as many shortcuts s you wish in the toolbar for easy access.

There's also a nice utility called Bins that helps manage items on the Taskbar - it's not free, but it's not expensive either
    Bins

I haven't tested it on Win10 though.

Slartybart, Jul 25, 2015
  14. xpclient Win User
    Why not use Classic Shell? You can add any folder anywhere as a cascading menu.

xpclient, Jul 27, 2015
  15. wzor Win User
    Don't bump solved threads. The thread starter already has exactly what he wanted.

Thema:

1. Is it possible to create custom taskbar jump lists in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - possible create custom

2. Taskbar jump list entries do nothing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar jump list entries do nothing.: Taskbar jump list entries do nothing... This is a very old problem but no fixes for me. Tried flipping the switch back and forth, Created entry in the registry. As MS suggested back in 2017, no help....
  3. Add mnemonics to windows 10 taskbar jump lists context

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add mnemonics to windows 10 taskbar jump lists context: A mnemonics I use all the time in the taskbar pinned app context, rightclick a recent file, F to remove from the recent list., has gone in windows 10.How do I reassign the mnemonic F to the "Remove from this list"?...
  4. Add mnemonics to windows 10 taskbar jump lists context

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add mnemonics to windows 10 taskbar jump lists context: A mnemonics I use all the time in the taskbar pinned app context, rightclick a recent file, F to remove from the recent list., has gone in windows 10.How do I reassign the mnemonic F to the "Remove from this list"?...
  5. Add mnemonics to windows 10 taskbar jump lists context

6. Is that possible to create a custom Launcher Screen for Windows 10?

Is that possible to create a custom Launcher Screen for Windows 10?: Hi everyone, For Android OS, there is a ruge list of tutorials and docs of how to create custom launcher screen for Android. But for Windows, I could not find any good hint. What I've seen is some third-party apps, like skins, themes dock bars applications. It's not what...
  7. Taskbar Jump List - Get it Back

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar Jump List - Get it Back: Since the taskbar jump list (recent files) has been removed, is there some registry edits that can be made to return the functionality/ submitted by /u/super_delegate [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fclp1k/taskbar_jump_list_get_it_back/
  8. Is it possible to edit the Taskbar Jump List information?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to edit the Taskbar Jump List information?: I reconfigured my Windows 10 computer and changed "My Documents" to "Documents". After restoring my JumpList items I noticed that they refer to "My Documents" instead of "Documents" so they no longer work....
  9. Taskbar Jump List Files Slow to Open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar Jump List Files Slow to Open: If I click on an app pinned to the taskbar it loads straight away. If I right click the app and click on a pinned file it takes 20 secs to load the app....
  10. Taskbar program Jump List disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar program Jump List disappears: Hi, I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro and I have somewhat of a quirky problem. My taskbar is at the bottom of the screen but I have it expanded to 2 rows, e.g. twice as "thick" vertically as the default. When I right-click on any pinned icons on the bottom...