Windows 10: Is it possible to create multiple partitions on a USB flash drive?

Discus and support Is it possible to create multiple partitions on a USB flash drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! I recently used a 16GB USB flash drive to create an installer for a new Linux distro. I noticed that the created partition is 8GB and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by spapakons, Oct 19, 2015.

1. spapakons Win User

Is it possible to create multiple partitions on a USB flash drive?

Hello!

I recently used a 16GB USB flash drive to create an installer for a new Linux distro. I noticed that the created partition is 8GB and the rest 8GB is unused. I want to create a second NTFS partition so I can use the USB as a recording medium for my PVR, but Disk Management doesn't give me this option. I then used MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, which did create the partition but warned that it won't be recognized by Windows as it normally sees only the first partition on a USB Flash drive. I even went back to Disk Management and assigned a drive letter to the second partition, but in Explorer I see only the EFI partition (first, drive is formatted in GPT mode) with that drive letter. Is there any workaround? Of course I could just format the whole drive as NTFS, but I wouldn't like to do so until I don't need the installer anymore.

:)

spapakons, Oct 19, 2015
  2. JimWynne Win User

Is it possible to Create a System Image to a USB formatted to NTFS in Windows 10. I have tried all the suggestions in this Community and non work. Says it cannot backup to USB. Date June 30, 2017

Try3x gave good advice, but you should be aware that you should describe what type of USB device you're trying to use. There is no such thing as "a USB."

JimWynne, Oct 19, 2015
  3. Is it possible to Create a System Image to a USB formatted to NTFS in Windows 10. I have tried all the suggestions in this Community and non work. Says it cannot backup to USB. Date June 30, 2017

Is it possible to Create a System Image to a USB formatted to NTFS in Windows 10. I have tried all the suggestions in this Community and non work. Says it cannot backup to USB. Date June 30, 2017

Bill _ Harriett, Oct 19, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

I was in a hurry and created the Recovery for Win10 on a 64GB Thumb drive but it automatically formatted only 32GB and put the data on it. Using Disk Management I could not create a second partition in the remaining space, all commands were grayed out. There was a warning Windows would delete all data and reformat. It did exactly that and formatted 32GB as FAT32. Windows has an issue with creating/formatting FAT32 partitions/drives above 32GB or rather anything about 1Byte smaller than 64GB unless doing it as NTFS. I booted to a GPARTED LiveCD and repartitioned the Thumb drive and formatted as FAT32. I've done the same for a USB Hard Disk Drive at 120GB formatted as FAT32 for use with my MacBook Pro OS X 10.x.x, now is at 10.10.5.

Berton, Oct 19, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    One little detail. You can create multiple partitions on a USB hard disk, but not on removable drives such as USB flash drives or memory cards. My problem is that I want to use my USB Flash drive without deleting the Linux installer. I want to create a second NTFS partition on the remaining space, but Windows won't recognize it. Is there a workaround? Can I make Windows treat it as a USB hard disk and let me create a second partition?

Thank you for your reply anyway.

spapakons, Oct 19, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

It is possible to do so but not with the inbuilt Disk Management.
    I used AOMEI's Partitioning software to do this IIRC.
    Not sure it's going to work in this particular situation as I started from a single primary partition that occupied the entire thumb drive but contained just the installation for WIN 10. So I used this software to shrink the primary and then create another one in the empty space.
    Again IIRC the file system was FAT32. It should work using NTFS though.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    I managed to create a second partition using MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, but Windows won't let me access it. So the problem is accessing it, not just creating it.

spapakons, Oct 19, 2015
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

I didn't encounter any problem using the drive under Windows 7/8/10.
    That said it may well depend on the thumb drive that's being used. Mine were all Sandisk Cruzer of varying age, plain Cruzer, Edge.

Of course it will work with a true SDD on a stick but those aren't exactly cheap so far.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    There are 2 types of USB sticks. One is recognized as Removable, the other as Basic disk. So it depends on what firmware the stick has. Here's the screen shot of the 2's. Disk 6 & 7 are both 16GB Sandisk Cruzer. Disk 7 is regconized as Basic disk then you can use Disk Management to create a new partition and normally this type of disk is used to create "Windows to go".

Is it possible to create multiple partitions on a USB flash drive? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Oct 19, 2015
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Can't quite remember how I pulled this off but here you see two Sandisk Cruzer thumb drives.

Both are shown as being "Removable", the smaller 4Gb one has been shrunk to isolate it from additional files I intend to add later on.

Not sure if I can repeat that on some of the more recent Sandisk Cruzer Edge I have but I'll give it a shot and will report back.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2015
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi again,

Et voila, the much newer cheapo Sandisk Edge, split in two then shrunk:

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2015
  12. topgundcp Win User
    The problem is that's all you can do. Windows will not allow to assign a letter or regconize it.

topgundcp, Oct 19, 2015
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

No, it does everything I want it to do.
    I'll format the one in the latest screenshot for you and will post a pic.

Cheers, *Wink

Edit: I spoke too soon regarding this Sandisk Cruzer Edge it is formatted but it won't let itself having a drive letter assigned.. Pretty sure it worked for the older Cruzers though. I'll see if I can repeat it.

Damn, not my day it seems the olde Cruzer refuses to cooperate as well. Guess I owe you all an apology. *Redface

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2015
  14. spapakons Win User
    Yes, is there any tweak to convert a removable drive to basic disk so we can use multiple partitions? That is without the risk to ruin it, of course!

spapakons, Oct 19, 2015
  15. topgundcp Win User
    Some software claims that it can flip the removable bit. Tried it and no joy.

Is it possible to create multiple partitions on a USB flash drive? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Oct 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Is it possible to create multiple partitions on a USB flash drive? - Similar Threads - possible create multiple

2. Partition a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition a USB Flash Drive: I followed :https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-a-Thumb-Drive - to partition USB Flash But I got an error in partitioining the second part , it says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date" tried to refresh or restart but...
  3. Partition a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition a USB Flash Drive: I followed :https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-a-Thumb-Drive - to partition USB Flash But I got an error in partitioining the second part , it says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date" tried to refresh or restart but...
  4. Partitioning a Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioning a Flash Drive: I purchased a Samsung 2 Tb flash drive and tried to partition it. It appeared that I first needed to change it from exfat to NTFS so I did using Windows 10 Disk Management. I then created a 1 Tb partition that appears to be okay but I haven’t tried using it yet. I then...
  5. Partitioning a Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitioning a Flash Drive: I purchased a Samsung 2 Tb flash drive and tried to partition it. It appeared that I first needed to change it from exfat to NTFS so I did using Windows 10 Disk Management. I then created a 1 Tb partition that appears to be okay but I haven’t tried using it yet. I then...
  6. Partitioning a Flash Drive

7. Is there a way to create multiple bootable flash drives at once

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to create multiple bootable flash drives at once: I was wondering if there is a way to burn windows 10 to multiple usb drives at the same time. The windows media creation tool only allows you to do one at a time, I've tried googling it but I'm unable to find any information. Do you know if there is a software that can do...
  8. Unable to create USB Flash Recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to create USB Flash Recovery drive: I bought a licence from the Microsoft store so my Windows 10 is legit. When I try to create a USB flash drive Recovery, I get the error that some files are missing so the Recovery could not be created. Help please....
  9. CU supports multiple partitions on a standard USB Flash Drive

CU supports multiple partitions on a standard USB Flash Drive: A little advertised change is that Windows 10 will now access multiple partitions on a standard usb flash drive. Previously you had to have a special flash drive with the hard disk bit set. I am currently using wintousb 3.5 to create a bootable UEFI windows usb drive which...
  10. Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...: I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive. I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super Talent RC4, both 128 GB versions. The Corsair Voyager GTX is not a certified Windows To Go drive, whereas the Super Talent...