Windows 10: Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?

Discus and support Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Obviously icons are displayed in the program list when the shortcut is not nested inside a folder. But it seems windows will not display customized... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by sleepless, Jan 14, 2017.

1. sleepless Win User

Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?

Obviously icons are displayed in the program list when the shortcut is not nested inside a folder. But it seems windows will not display customized folder icons. The properties for the folder can be opened, and a custom icon selected, but it does not display. Not in the start menu, or inside the programs folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The generic folder icon is always displayed. This seems a real shame. I like to have my menu shortcuts nested in folders because it allows for quick access to help files, manuals and other related programs. Am I missing something or does microsoft simply not allow for this? A setting in the registry maybe?

Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders? [​IMG]

:)

sleepless, Jan 14, 2017

2. Starting a program on the display that I opened it on.

I have PC running windows 10 that has a few displays. The Windows icon and task bar is on all of the displays. Is it possible that when I use the start menu on one display that the program opens in that display, instead of where it was last opened? Or
    is that strictly an added feature from various video card drivers?

Micheal_A_P, Jan 14, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Anniversary update: Accessing recent documents by hovering over rather than right clicking a program in the Start Menu

This new start menu is a feature of the Anniversary Upgrade, it is not possible any more to get this list by hovering over the program icon on the Start Menu.

You are correct, you must now right click the icon to get a list of recent documents.

A lot of users are not happy with the new start menu, I read somewhere that we will get the option to customise the start menu in the next major upgrade proposed for March 2017, until then there is no way of getting this functionality back . . .

I hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Jan 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the answer is to use Classic Shell (free), often referred to here.

As I've commented many times in this forum, a hierarchically structured categorised start menu is not expressed correctly by the Win 10 start menu, which extracts shortcuts from subfolders and lists them alphabetically. The subfolders (or maybe sub-subfolders) vanish.

Classic Shell works as you'd expect, being extensively customisable, including its appearance and search feature.

dalchina, Jan 14, 2017
  5. Edwin New Member
    It will display in that folder if you change the folder icon first, restart Explorer, then put stuff in it.

The icon image points to a .dll so, modifying that leaves you with one alternative only!

Barring a 3rd party application, your only alternative would be to create customized shortcuts of said folders, mind you, that would open the folders themselves and not a cascading menu:

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders? - Similar Threads - possible display icons

2. is it possible to search for folders in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is it possible to search for folders in the start menu?: For example, I have a folder called "Asus" in my start menu that has about 8 asus apps in it. I want to be able to search for "Asus" in the search bar to get to it quicker (not having to click the start button and scroll down), but the search bar finds nothing for "Asus". It...
  3. Start Menu does not display programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu does not display programs: My Windows Start Menu does not display a list of programs. When I click on the Windows 10 Logo, an hourglass appears then vanishes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-does-not-display-programs/ddf8764f-4823-45b7-98c7-4f87395ef40c
  4. Missing Programs from Start Menu List

Missing Programs from Start Menu List: Please don't tell me to reinstall... did that! Don't tell me to add an icon... I don't want a screen full of icons..... Don't tell me to add an app. If i wanted an apps I'd by a tablet. How do you fix missing installed programs back to Start Menu List. This is why I HATE...
  5. Language in Start menu program list

Language in Start menu program list: Why does "Microsfoft office Hulpprogramma's" appear in Nederland in my start menu program list when my system language is English. All other start menu programs are shown in English....
  6. Icons not Displayed in Start Menu !

Icons not Displayed in Start Menu !: The Icons are not displayed on Start Menu, When I click the Icon It opens the App perfectly and in howermouse it show the Name of the App but it doesn't display the Icon. Any Idea how to get the Icons back ? [img] 26882
  7. Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list: I found a broken shortcut on my account's Start Menu program list, located all the way on the bottom. [img] Right-clicking and uninstalling doesn't do anything. I tried some of the solutions found online and most of them don't work. Is there any way for me to fix this...
  8. Only List on Start Menu, Not Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Only List on Start Menu, Not Icons: I want my Start Menu to show only a list of programs/files/folders, like this: [img] but when I choose "Pin to Start" I get big, obnoxious icons which cause the Start Menu to expand much too far over the desktop, like this: [img] How can I cause additions to the...
  9. Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list: I inadvertently clicked on a programme and not looking properly clicked an acceptance to change the DPI, it was this little app, Windows 10 DPI Fix, all it did was cause the problem that I have now. *Sad Windows 10 DPI Fix 2.2 Read more at: Download Windows 10 DPI Fix -...
  10. Programs Used List in Start Menue

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs Used List in Start Menue: How do a get a program that I use quite often to get on the "Most Used Programs List". I realize that I probably have to use it more for it to appear on the list. But I want to know if I can get it there even though the program is not used as often as the others. TIA...