Windows 10: Is it possible to do clean Windows 10 install over an older 2009 iMac?

Discus and support Is it possible to do clean Windows 10 install over an older 2009 iMac? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The iMac is an early 2009 model that does support Bootcamp for Window 7 (8?). Early 2009 iMac's cannot upgrade to the latest Sierra OS X because of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GARoss, Jun 24, 2017.

1. GARoss Win User

Is it possible to do clean Windows 10 install over an older 2009 iMac?

The iMac is an early 2009 model that does support Bootcamp for Window 7 (8?). Early 2009 iMac's cannot upgrade to the latest Sierra OS X because of hardware so it occurred to me, why not upgrade the iMac to a fresh install of Windows 10. Can this be done?

I believe the problem lies in the iMac's motherboard as Windows drivers are not installed (BIOS). Even if I install Bootcamp drivers to the MB directly, I still could not install Window 10 because 2009 iMac's will only go up to Windows 7 or 8 & I don't think Microsoft is supporting 7 anymore either so we'd be right back to where we are now.

Anyway, is it possible to do clean Windows 10 install over an older 2009 iMac?

:)

GARoss, Jun 24, 2017

2. Is it possible to install Windows 10 over an already existing Windows 10 and save files from the previous one?

The thing is I don't know whether or not my Windows is original nor how to recognize that. When i bought a new PC, a friend came over and installed Windows 10 directly from an USB. So it's not upgraded from Windows 7 or 8. A few features are missing that
    should be there and i wondered if repair upgrade would fix that with leaving other things as they are right now. Would repair upgrade work on non Original Windows?

JovanArsenović, Jun 24, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Is it possible to install Windows 10 over an already existing Windows 10 and save files from the previous one?

Ah ha!

Yes, the ISO functions much the same as the old disk installer, and a repair reinstall using the ISO would be

similar to when using a disk, and it will work on an 'upgrade' version of Win10 as well.

When you do an upgrade from your previous Windows version the activation key from that copy of Windows

gets transferred to your Win10, so you do not need an 'original' Win10 to perform a repair reinstall.

BossDweeb, Jun 24, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jun 24, 2017
  5. GARoss Win User
    Thanks. That would work fine. No need to clean install, just use the Bootcamp feature & purchase Windows 7. And, my iMac will not support Windows 10, just Win7 32bit.

The whole reason for my question was I had the impression that Apple was discontinuing support for this iMac's OS X 10.10.5. Apparently Apple will support it for at least another year.

GARoss, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to do clean Windows 10 install over an older 2009 iMac? - Similar Threads - possible clean install

2. Windows 11 Clean install restarts over and over.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Clean install restarts over and over.: I was on windows i11 nsider developer and the only way to get off of it was to do a clean install. I used the windows 11 media creation tool to make install media and did the install. Now the install seems to get all the way through to updates but never finishes. It just goes...
  3. Windows 11 Clean install restarts over and over.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Clean install restarts over and over.: I was on windows i11 nsider developer and the only way to get off of it was to do a clean install. I used the windows 11 media creation tool to make install media and did the install. Now the install seems to get all the way through to updates but never finishes. It just goes...
  4. Problem with installing ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 driver on Windows 10 on iMac 10,1 Late 2009

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with installing ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 driver on Windows 10 on iMac 10,1 Late 2009: I have installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on my 27" iMac late 2009. Everything is working perfectly well except for the graphic card driver. I have tried plenty of drivers and also Windows recommended driver update, though none has worked yet. For instance, I happily let windows...
  5. Problem with installing ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 driver on Windows 10 on iMac 10,1 Late 2009

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with installing ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 driver on Windows 10 on iMac 10,1 Late 2009: I have installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on my 27" iMac late 2009. Everything is working perfectly well except for the graphic card driver. I have tried plenty of drivers and also Windows recommended driver update, though none has worked yet. For instance, I happily let windows...
  6. Problem with installing ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 driver on Windows 10 on iMac 10,1 Late 2009

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Installing Windows 10 on an older 2009/2010 Asus P6X58D-E motherboard?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on an older 2009/2010 Asus P6X58D-E motherboard?: My question is a carryover from this locked thread. Back in 2017 a user reported horrible performance with Windows 10 on this specific motherboard. I would like to run Office 365 but I recall several years ago when Microsoft was offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 from...
  8. Installation Windows 10 on imac

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installation Windows 10 on imac: I have installes Boot camp Windos 10 on my iMac. I have already done all the settings. I want unlock my lock screen, but i cannot do since my mouse or keyboard don't show up. I have a wirelss/bluetooth mouse and keyboard....
  9. 'clean install' of Windows 10 in older laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    'clean install' of Windows 10 in older laptop: Friends. I've built a few pcs for myself and friends for a few years and have installed and done clean installs on my pc before, but I am questioning my thoughts on my present situation. A customer of mine gave me his old HP Pavilion however it is so full of his old...
  10. Is it possible to install Encarta Encyclopedia 2009 on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it possible to install Encarta Encyclopedia 2009 on Windows 10?: Hi, I got the Encarta encyclopedia at a flea market for very little money. Unfortunately there are installation problems. I have Windows 10 x64 Here is the error message [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Kann man die Encarta Enzyklopädie 2009 auf Windows 10 installieren?