Windows 10: Is it possible to have a Inspiron 3655 boot from sdcard?

Discus and support Is it possible to have a Inspiron 3655 boot from sdcard? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It has a normal reader, but I'm having trouble getting it to boot from that. I need to run a utility on a iso, used rufus to formate the sdcard and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by joe7dust, Oct 27, 2017.

1. joe7dust Win User

Is it possible to have a Inspiron 3655 boot from sdcard?

It has a normal reader, but I'm having trouble getting it to boot from that. I need to run a utility on a iso, used rufus to formate the sdcard and everything. It isn't showing as a bootable option. I would just use a blank cd or dvd if I had one, but I don't atm. I've ordered a usb flash drive that should solve all my problems, but in the meantime is there anything I can do?

I used to have a rooted phone with TWRP on it but my current phone doesn't have a TWRP recovery mode and the "best" app I could find for this (droiddrive) doesn't work at all for me. I can't even format the damned sd card using that utitlity on a 2nd pc.

The thing about TWRP that was amazing is you can use your phone's internal sdcard and boot it on almost any pc as it shows as a bootable USB drive. Drivedroid purports to do the same thing but I could never get it to work. There is no TWRP for my cheapo galaxy 3 prime. In all other things it is just as good as a Galaxy S5 (albeit heavier) but on custom FW it is very lacking.

:)

joe7dust, Oct 27, 2017
  2. CuriousLH Win User

Windows 10 Home Update 1709 KB4054517

The make and model of my computer is a Dell Inspiron 3655 Windows 10 Home.

I have tried to download manually but, I will try again and will try the additional options you have provided.

Thank You

CuriousLH, Oct 27, 2017
  3. Is it possible to boot Windows 10 from a UEFI RAM Disk?

Andre,

In case it wasn't clear from my original post, the partition I'm putting on the ramdisk is the EFI System Partition (ESP),
    not the boot partition (CIs it possible to have a Inspiron 3655 boot from sdcard? :), which is still in its original location on disk. As best I can tell, the Windows loader doesn't modify anything on the ESP (except a few timestamps in the BCD), so I don't see how the volatile nature of
    the ramdisk would be an issue. Are you saying that the Windows loader would refuse to boot from an ESP that appears to reside on something other than a physical disk? How would it even know that the ramdisk is not a physical disk? The documentation I've seen
    suggests that the Windows loader uses UEFI protocols to access the ESP, and the ramdisk's file system is perfectly accessible to UEFI applications.

Thanks,
    Brett S.

BrettStahlman, Oct 27, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

About 99% of PCs do not have the capability to boot from an SD card. I have heard of people with limited success in booting it from an SD card to USB port adapter that makes the SD card appear as a flash drive, but not built-in SD card readers.

NavyLCDR, Oct 27, 2017
  5. joe7dust Win User
    Great news! I found a USB adapter that takes microsd. I didn't even know I had this. Shouldn't have any problems now, will report back.

joe7dust, Oct 27, 2017
  6. joe7dust Win User
    It is still not working. I even found a spare external USB drive. That should be the absolute standard thing to boot from when all else fails, yet it is still not working... Hiram's and GParted and DBAN none of them boot. This Dell Inspiron 3655 even recognizes the drive in BIOS. I've disabled all boot options except USB, also tried turning off AHCI/ATA options and still the same either way!!! OMG wtf is this?

joe7dust, Oct 27, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

the problem with most PC's is that while the BIOS will boot from a USB device the actual OS needs to load the SD card driver before it will recognize the sd card so i'm afraid you are hosed up in this one.

Now some servers - for example the small cube shaped HP Gen 8 microserver (which I use as a NAS server) has an internal USB port (inside the box) plus an internal micro SD card slot. The BIOS will allow you to boot from either of these directly - you can see it in the BIOS boot menu- plus of course HDD and the external USB 2 slots (X2). There's also 2 X usb3 slots but this particular server won't boot from USB3 - the OS again needs to load the driver before the USB3 slots are recognized.

I boot from the micro sd card (I just have /boot on that card) and from the /boot partition it loads the rest of the OS from my SSD. It's a convoluted arrangement - but the machine if I don't use the built in RAID (which is terrible) won't boot from the DVD port (where I've attached my SSD). SATA AHCI mode plus software raid (run from the booted OS Linux kernel - running Centos 7.2) is FAR superior on this server. I've 4 HDD's in the box which I have as a 2 lots of 2HDD's RAID arrays. I don't therefore want to have the OS on one of these which is the reason for storing the OS on the SSD and getting the system to boot from the micro sd card - it simply executes the bootstrap software which loads the OS from the SSD and then the SSD boots normally.

In any case even if your machine did boot SD card directly you wouldn't be able to run windows from it unless you had enterprise. You can of course boot linux from any recognized bootable device and then run Windows as a VM but from an SD card it would run incredibly slowly !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 27, 2017
  8. joe7dust Win User

I am using an external USB drive now. Should make troubleshooting easier. I disabled all boot op except usb in BIOS and still can't boot. Is there something more standard than Hiram's/DBAN to test this?

joe7dust, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to have a Inspiron 3655 boot from sdcard? - Similar Threads - possible Inspiron 3655

2. Can't find SDcard on Surface book

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't find SDcard on Surface book: Can't find SDcard on Surface book https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-sdcard-on-surface-book/1176bd13-0c1a-457e-a3b8-0dad832c0515
  3. Dell Inspiron Restore inturrupted - Now it won't boot. Trying to boot from USB.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell Inspiron Restore inturrupted - Now it won't boot. Trying to boot from USB.: I have a Dell Inspiron 11" P24T laptop from about 2016-ish. My kids were using it for online-school, but it was going really slow, so I initiated a system restore using the Dell wizard on the PC. The charger plugged into the laptop wasn't working and the PC died in the...
  4. SDCard problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SDCard problem: I have an SD Card SandDisk for my android and the carteSD become not recognizable, so I put it on my computer to save my pictures (It was long and difficult because this SD Card makes the Window explorer lag, bug and crashed, but I copy everything) and now I want to format...
  5. Boot from USB drive for Inspiron 3543

Boot from USB drive for Inspiron 3543: So I have been trying to reset the password to my Inspiron 3543 using various programs, and making my usb drive a password reset key. Right now, using the program Daossoft Windows Password Rescuer, I have followed the necessary instructions and burnt the files to the usb...
  6. Boot problems with Dell Inspiron Laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot problems with Dell Inspiron Laptop: Ok so the problems with my Dell Inspiron 5577 laptop started when it closed while performing a factory reset. Ever sonce then its been unable to boot up. Now when i turn it on it askes me to enter the system password, when i do so it just says “cannot find enabled boot...
  7. not reading sdcard while trying to update

not reading sdcard while trying to update: Hello I was just wondering what I should do get my computer to read my sdcard so that I can install the windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-reading-sdcard-while-trying-to-update/2a194064-8672-4a8e-bb17-c0762861b7d7
  8. Fresh install is it possible ? INSPIRON 17 5000 SERIES

Fresh install is it possible ? INSPIRON 17 5000 SERIES: I see via settings I can remove the Windows 10 home back to 8.1 .. Will the link still be there to install it fresh again or will it just disappear , thanks . I'm having major issues since loading it and would like t try again 14512
  9. Dell Inspiron 530 BIOS "Exchange" even possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell Inspiron 530 BIOS "Exchange" even possible?: I had just restored a Dell 530 PC Desktop for a classroom, and I had a finicky time with it attempting to boot from USB as it had not only set it to "Floppy" First, but also had apparently done some weird permissions issue from having one of the Settings in the SATA section...
  10. is it possible upgrade windows from boot?

is it possible upgrade windows from boot?: I click upgrade and receive this message: [img] Apparently it is not possible upgrade when system boot from DVD or USB but I am not sure. please tell me that is possible or certainly should run setup.exe in other to upgrade. because current windows don't run and I...