Windows 10: Is It Possible to have both a MS Account and a Local Account?

Discus and support Is It Possible to have both a MS Account and a Local Account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, As someone else has stated, things seem to go horribly wrong when WIN 10 updates happen. The last update triggered (13-01-2016) the loss of... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Geoff Daniell, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Is It Possible to have both a MS Account and a Local Account?

Hi,

As someone else has stated, things seem to go horribly wrong when WIN 10 updates happen.
    The last update triggered (13-01-2016) the loss of access to the start menu, many apps, as well the apps store and MS Edge.
    The exact same thing happened with the first version of Win 10 Pro received as an upgrade from WIN 7.

This time, as soon as build 1511 was received, I immediately created a ISO USB stick and then proceeded to use the machine as normal.
    At some stage, I created a Local Account with Administrator rights as I am the only user of the PC.

After the January upgrade, I can no longer switch back to the MS Account as the screen where one is supposed to be able to do this under [settings/accounts/Your email and accounts] does not load anymore, thus removing the option to switch back to a MS account. The screen is just blank.

I ended up activating the in-built Administrator account so that I could try and see what was going on.

I now notice under C:users the following user folders:

(1) Administrator
    (2) Default
    (3) Default.migrated
    (4) DefaultAppPool
    (5) My Name ---- I presume this is the user profile for my MS account?
    (6) My Name (Local ----- This is the created local Account

yet the "name of the account" when I log in has been truncated to My name L

Is this why the settings page for accounts cannot find the profile information which will allow me to switch back to my MS account?

I feel I have to unravel this mess before going any further in trying to establish why the start menu and all the apps have now "dissapeared"

Of course I can just redo the clean install but I feel I should first sort out the user profiles before going any further.

:)

Geoff Daniell, Jan 26, 2016

2. Is it possible to use a domain account AND a local account on the same machine?

I want to use my private Surface Pro 4 in my office, too.

In the office we're using Windows AD, at home I have set up local machine accounts only (Workgroup).

Is it possible to use both at the same time?

Your help is appreciated.

BetterToday, Jan 26, 2016
  3. Is it possible to use a domain account AND a local account on the same machine?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I suggest you to post the query on TechNet for specialized assistance with this particular issue by following the below link:

Technet forums

Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 26, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Is It Possible to have both a MS Account and a Local Account?

It is certainly possible to have a local account and a user attached to a MS account on the same computer.

You can try Win key + R to open run dialog. Then type netplwiz

See if that gives you any extra info regarding the accounts created on the computer.

NavyLCDR, Jan 27, 2016
  5. Thank you for the confirmation. Will proceed accordingly and see what I find using netplwiz

Geoff Daniell, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is It Possible to have both a MS Account and a Local Account?

1. Is It Possible to have both a MS Account and a Local Account? - Similar Threads - Possible both Account

2. Can not change MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  3. Can not change MS account to local account

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  4. Switching From MS Account To Local Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switching From MS Account To Local Account: In Settings, I'm trying to switch from a MS Account to a Local Account. I'm asked for my name. When I give it I'm told that name is already in use. Of course it is; that's the account I want to use. Can I get past this somehow, and if I do. does that delete my MS Account?...
  5. local account unable to switch to MS account

local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  6. local account unable to switch to MS account

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  7. Using Local and MS accounts

Using Local and MS accounts: I have a computer using a local account. I use the Microsoft account separately to login to apps etc. When using another app I want to login with, I would get the account popup and can select my MS acct. How can I prevent that from accidentally being used in another app, I...
  8. Using MS account on a local account for games..

Using MS account on a local account for games..: I have a laptop and there are two users created......one (A) with admin status and a MS account. The other is (B) with a local account credentials. B has no MS account. Can I install games from Windows store on B's login account using my MS account? ...and perhaps some...
  9. Login screen presents both local and MS account sign in

Login screen presents both local and MS account sign in: I set up a new tablet with windows 10 and began with a Local account so I could choose my user name. Then I signed in with my MS account to sync settings. When I start the tablet the login screen asks for my pin. I want to be able to automatically login without entering a...
  10. Can you have a MS account and a Local account?

Can you have a MS account and a Local account?: I'd like to have both a Microsoft Account and a Local account and pick which one I login with at boot time. Can this be done? 95061